Author Topic: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow  (Read 7771 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »
Do you mean The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

The storyline sucketh greatly, but the visuals, effects, and sound were extraordinary enough to kind of make up for it.  Then there's Peta Wilson - my, my, my...  grin

Worst adaptation of a comic book - ever.  

No, that would be either The Shadow with Alec Baldwin or The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »
Do you mean The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

The storyline sucketh greatly, but the visuals, effects, and sound were extraordinary enough to kind of make up for it.  Then there's Peta Wilson - my, my, my...  grin

No, that would be either The Shadow with Alec Baldwin or The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.

Brad

Yes, I particularly liked the bit where a giant submarine first shown as being the dimensions of an Oscar-class somehow fit into and navigated the shallow canals of Venice, including some that would be tight for a gondola, and you weren't supposed to notice the utter lack of spatial relationship to the buildings. Or even think about where the rest of it went beneath the shallow water. I guess the designers figured it was like a game map, where anything under the buildings was empty space below the map?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »
Yes, I particularly liked the bit where a giant submarine first shown as being the dimensions of an Oscar-class somehow fit into and navigated the shallow canals of Venice, including some that would be tight for a gondola, and you weren't supposed to notice the utter lack of spatial relationship to the buildings.

Oh, sure.  Next thing you know you'll be claiming an X-71 can't slingshot around the moon and land on an asteroid.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 01:40:53 PM »
The most unrealistic thing about the Venice sequence, to me, (other than the blowing-up of landmarks that I distinctly recall standing in) was the complete lack of pigeons in the square.  Anyone who has been to Venice knows that there are more birds than brick pavers in that square.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »
For those who believe the effects were the turn off, consider "League of Heroes". It was essentially the same "steampunk" but done on blockbuster hollywood scale, and it still failed at the box office. Overall, I liked both movies well enough, but I am clearly in the minority. 

Do you mean The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?  I've been meaning to see that.  Anyone else like it?

I saw LXG on tv a while back... I had to do some research on it and if you keep in mind that it's steampunk and based on a comic book, it's pretty good.

Note that Alan Quattermain (as done by Sean Connery) knew how to shoot and hit whereas Tom Sawyer (I forget the actor's name) knew how to spray lead from the bottomless magazine and cylinders of an 1873 Winchester and two 1877 or 1878 Colt double-actions. grin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »
As of this post I'm the only one who voted for "loved it," but I would have rather voted for something in between that and the "merely okay" option that most voted for.  I thought it was very entertaining and I had fewer complains than the majority.

However, I'm in agreement with the majority when it comes to LXG The Movie.  Whenever I say it I have to quote The Simpsons, in which one episide there is a male strip club called "The League of Extra-Horny Gentlemen."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 04:58:14 PM »
Ooh, let's all laugh at him!   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »
Sky Captain was ok, nothing special.
As far as LXG I actually like that movie, but I have never read the comic it is based on. BTW the whole submarine in Venice scene was what my brother said to me when bashing the film.
Umm, it's a movie based on a comic book (sorry "Graphic Novel"). You have the Invisible Man hanging out with Alan Quartermain, Mina Parker, Dorrian Gray, Capt. Nemo and Dr. Jekyll and the submarine scene is a big deal? Come on now, where is the suspension of disbelief?
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 05:44:09 AM »

Sky Captain was ok as a rental to kill a couple of hours where you have NOTHING else to occupy your mind. That's about all it's good for...

Starship Troopers would be better in your case. Or maybe Zardoz
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 05:48:41 AM »

I guess you missed Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze . . . though technically, that movie was based on old pulps, not comic books . . . though I do remember seeing a Doc Savage comic book somewhere . ..
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:06 AM »
Phantom was a pretty horrifically bad adaptation, too.

On the other side, for good stuff, they finally got the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles set out the door.
$160 for both volumes, The Early Years and The War Years. Though I heard that, unsurprisingly, Lucas "re-edited" it all, removing the original endpieces, cutting half of the first Egyptian epiode with T.E. Lawrence, and basically f-ing it up. Tongue

Maybe someone will release a master from laserdiscs sometime...the original ones.

Strings

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 09:57:48 PM »
You CAN be replaced, Skip. With a puppy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »
I like puppies. 

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 02:34:43 AM »
The puppy would piddle on your foot.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 06:03:30 AM »
Cleaning up the puppy mess would still be better than some of these movies.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 01:12:45 PM »
In the world of tomorrow, puppies will not produce waste matter. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »
In the world of tomorrow, puppies will not produce waste matter. 

I thought that was people. Science fiction hardly ever has bathrooms.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 03:19:54 PM »
Is that why they showed us a toilet in Firefly's pilot episode?  Look, it's space, and we still pee!

I was actually more impressed by the fact that they still use aluminum-frame-and-webbing lawn chairs in the future, and on other planets, even.   smiley

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
I was actually more impressed by the fact that they still use aluminum-frame-and-webbing lawn chairs in the future, and on other planets, even.   smiley

They still make those? I don't know... we haven't bothered with them in a long time.

I'm trying to remember which model shotgun they used... 1897 Winchester? I guess that ain't much different to building Han Solo's blaster from a C96 Mauser.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »
Is that why they showed us a toilet in Firefly's pilot episode?  Look, it's space, and we still pee!

And it couldn't have been a retro fashion? Ever go in an Ethan Allen? Lots of newly-made chair designs from up to 300 years ago, look in other stores, there's even Roman design curve benches. Smiley

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »
Is that why they showed us a toilet in Firefly's pilot episode?

And Babylon 5.  There was a scene in a season 1 episode, with the commander and security chief chatting in front of urinals.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 06:40:11 PM »
Manedwolf, I didn't think it was a five-hundred-year-old chair.  I was just talking about the design and materials being identical to chairs that we use today  don't really even use much anymore, in the twenty-first century.  Them new-fangled lawn furniture that fit in drawstring bags seem to have totally replaced them. 

Is that why they showed us a toilet in Firefly's pilot episode?

And Babylon 5.  There was a scene in a season 1 episode, with the commander and security chief chatting in front of urinals.

For Sci-Fi, that is pretty hilarious.  But no cable, so...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2007, 06:51:44 PM »
I know, I just noticed that Firefly seemed to like to show "ancient relics" and reproductions thereof, things from Earth That Was. In one episode, there was a phone booth, displayed a museum-like setting in a private home.  cheesy

Strings

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2007, 08:43:28 PM »
>Them new-fangled lawn furniture that fit in drawstring bags seem to have totally replaced them.  <

Actually, I have yet to find one of those "fit in a drawstring bag" chairs that would last more than a couple months of regular use. But I remember some of the older style lasting MUCH longer...

denfoote100

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »
I bought it out of the bargin bin at Wallyworld.
That should tell you something!!