Author Topic: Goodman Furnace - POS or decent?  (Read 15449 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Goodman Furnace - POS or decent?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
what kinda setup you using with wood?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »
"I believe trane and some of the others big brands use propitiatory components."

Yes, yes they do.

And they sodomize you for them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 10:56:20 AM »
what kinda setup you using with wood?

Woodmaster ourdoor wood boiler which supplies hot water to a water-to-air heat exchanger in the forced air supply duct and a water-to-water heat exchanver for domestic hot water. I just installed a used hot tub so the next project is to hook that up to the woodmaster as well. If I ever get around to building a workshop building I will also heat that from the wood boiler. More information and pics of the wood boiler and my furnace on my blog at www.fabiens.org/ckblog if you are interested, scroll down a bit they are a few posts down.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:13:28 AM by cfabe »

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »
"I believe trane and some of the others big brands use propitiatory components."

Yes, yes they do.

And they sodomize you for them.

But not fuses..  I was able to fix my Trane furnace one Christmas morning by using a spare fuse from kit that came with my truck.

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
ever seen a "schnorkel" hot tub?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »
Do you mean one of those under water wood fired heaters? Yes I've seen those, I think they're better used in old-style wood tubs. We have a modern one, fiberglass shell etc. I'm just going to install a brazed plate heat exchanger in line with the electric heater and run some pex back to the wood burner which is about 70 feet away.

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »
those are the ones. i put em in hunting cabins.great concept

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »
Be aware that the greenies are trying to get outdoor wood boilers banned. They say they pollute.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »
Yup, the biggies like to do thinggs like get specially wound motors that are like a strong 1/2 hp but not a 3/4 hp so a normal 1/2 hp off the shelf is too weak or the regular 3/4 is too strong and either will burn out in a relatively short period of time. Clever lot.  =|
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »
Be aware that the greenies are trying to get outdoor wood boilers banned. They say they pollute.
But it does use renewable energy.  Sorry, I forgot about the tree huggers.
Maybe there is an alterative energy that can found to use in it.  Maybe coal?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
I'd love to swap the boiler in my Mom's house to a dual fuel stoker coal/oil boiler, but it's just not an option while I'm down here and she's 180 miles away. It would take awhile to pay for itself, but given the size of that house, it would pay for itself.

There's no one I trust to help her with it, though.

If I ever move into that house, it's the first thing I do, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »
I know they are putting converters in the wood stoves now.
Won't be long before they have to put them in everything.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:58 PM »
the converters are decent. its amazing how clean my flue is. and how many extra btu's are wrung outa that second burn

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 09:03:01 PM »
Actually, catalytic converters are falling out of favor in wood stoves.

Advances how they're designed are allowing non-cat units to be as clean, or cleaner, than cat units.

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »
ive installed those too. they work and no converter to replace. but unless theres something better than the "reburners" i'm not sold the combuster in my stove isat 1300 right now  i had to turn off the blower house is too hot. and so long as its not treated i can burn anything without creosote buildup.  i think the cost of the catalytic combustion honeycomb is what drives the disfavor. and they are cheap for what i get back

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »
Who wants to spend up to $500 every couple of years to replace the converter on a stove?

Properly burned, a non-cat stove of just about any kind can be burned with virtually no creosote build up in the flue.

I'm not sold on the necessity of a converter, but that's just me.

• friends
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 09:44:17 PM »
500?  125-150  2 bolts  and i've never temp checked the other style  what do they hit?

• friends
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
anyone here use a reburner? how are they on eating wood? i only know one guy who has switched from catalytic to reburner. he claims that it uses too much wood but hes got serious credibility issues so i really don't know

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »
Notice that I said UPWARDS.

It depends on the model of stove you have on how much it's going to cost to replace the cat. I've seen replacement cat units go for as little as $75 and as much as $550. It all depends on the make, model, and age of the stove and whether you have to go through a dealer or not.

A cat vs. a reburner, when both have the same efficiency and output ratings and the same firebox size are going to use the same amount of wood. No magic in the numbers.

As for temperatures, I don't know what temps a reburner hits.

Here's an interesting, but damned hard to read, website that talks about cats and non cats. He's not a fan of the cats, but he's not trashing them, either. Just some good, solid, information on the differences between the two, and why he feels that reburner stoves are better. http://chimneysweeponline.com/hocats.htm

• friends
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »
interesting site. i am looking at some real multifuel furnaces. had one in an old farmhouse outside allentown that you loaded a rack with wood and it fed itself for 3 days or so. would love to find another. might go with pellets

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2008, 10:29:08 PM »
I was looking at the Yukon Eagle furnaces before I bought this house. Multifuel with the capability to light up the gas burner to start your wood fire. Nice feature. Unfortuantley they're in the $4000 range and have to be disassembled to fit down most basement stairs. At that price a standard high efficency gas furnace plus an add-on wood furnce is cheaper.

• friends
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 10:32:15 PM »
you ever read about the old time  hansa? basically the forerunner to the new waterstoves.  do it yourself mother earth news style

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 12:13:42 AM »
Nick1911 are you in the KC area?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 12:21:10 AM »
Nick1911 are you in the KC area?

Yes.  New house is in Merriam, KS.

I take it that you are in the area, Jim?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »
I live down south of KC now.

I lived in Merriam in to 70's.
House was were Home Depot parking lot is now.

I was a service manager in OP until last November.

I know you have already talked to a couple of installers,
but if you want I can see if I can give you anyone
else to try.