Author Topic: The anti-Smart Meter movement.  (Read 4341 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The anti-Smart Meter movement.
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/naperville/chi-naperville-smart-meter-arrest-20130123,0,6519967.story

This is only the second time I've heard of this. Does anyone know more about this issue?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: The anti-Smart Meter movement.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
I'm not sure what version of the so called smart these are.
Some are readable from a distance by the device. So a guy still needs to ride down the street and read them, they just don't have to get out and look at each one.
The other version they have been trying to perfect for years sends a signal back down the power line. Last time I saw anything about those there was the problem of the signal not making it very far down the line. Transformers also did not allow the signal to pass very easily.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »
The city wants everybody to have a smartmeter.  They cook up a scheme with the electic utility to charge an exhorbitant fee to install (??) (thought the non-smartmeter meters were already in place) a non-smartmeter meter, and neatly $25/month to have someone go read it.

These two do not want a smartmeter - for a variety of whackdoodle reasons.  The city has in place a mechanism for dealing with non-smartmeter customers that involves billing them as opposed to arresting them and throwing them in jail.

The city decides to disregard that mechanism and arrests them and throws them in jail. :facepalm:

Naperville is going to have to enact a parade ordinance if they do not already have one, in order to deal with the lawyers that will be coming to offer their services for the standard cut of the proceeds.

[popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
People are afraid of multiple things with smart meters.  One is hackers getting in and turning off their power.  Another is the electromagnetic fields that are being used, but they will put a cell phone up to their head.

Here in OH, you either allowed them to install smart meters (gas and electric) or the utility company would disconnect you from the grid.  We have had semi-smart water meters for years.  By semi-smart, I mean they drive a van down the road and read your meter via radio waves.  If they want to turn your water off they still have to come and manually do it at the street.

ETA: Actually N_R a lot of the utility companies have put in mesh wireless networks, so they don't even have to drive down you street to read the meter.  Our electric/gas company states that I can see my actual usage within 24 hours after use.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
The real fear most people have with smart meters is that the goobermint will start using the technology to monitor and ration power usage.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »
Yup.  It has been a big issue around here because people claim that we don't need to be exposed to all those radio waves and the meters are not accurate.

“It was forced on my house today,” she said. “It was really a violation. I violated something, but I’ve been violated too so I guess we’re now in a society of violating one another.”

The city, which has repeatedly declared the wireless meters to be safe, offers a non-wireless alternative meter to residents with concerns. There is a $68.35 initial fee for a non-wireless meter plus a $24.75 monthly fee for manually reading it. Stahl said residents who want a non-wireless meter should not have to pay for it, and said she represents other homeowners who were not able to continue to refuse the wireless meter installation.

“I have not done the work of attempting to educate the community and advocating for the right of anybody in Naperville to refuse the smart meter just to stand off to the side,” she said.

I thought the only place having issues with smart meter installations was here in good ol' NORCAL.  Some of the same people I saw complaining about the smart meters had a cell phone glued to their ear and spent a lot of their off time in front of a computer screen.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
Oh, so this really is a thing. I didn't know that it was a thing. I thought it was a non-thing, but apparently not.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »
The real fear most people have with smart meters is that the goobermint will start using the technology to monitor and ration power usage.

Yep, forgot that one.  That is the biggest one.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
I like the smart meters. Ever since I was a kid, we dreaded the day the meter reader would come. They drove like maniacs, tore up the driveway, cussed at the dogs (who were doing their job by barking at asshats who tore up the driveway), and much of the time read the dang meter wrong anyway.

Now the idiot just drives down the street and never has to enter the driveway. Dog is happy, I'm happy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »
Smart meters work hand in hand with energy star appliances.  Supposedly, smart meter equipped homes with appropriate appliances can alter the frequency of the power so that your laundry dryer or plasma tv will not work during power rationing, but your fridge and heater will. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
Smart meters work hand in hand with energy star appliances.  Supposedly, smart meter equipped homes with appropriate appliances can alter the frequency of the power so that your laundry dryer or plasma tv will not work during power rationing, but your fridge and heater will.  

Frequency is one thing they can't really mess with.  By can't I don't mean oughtn't, I mean it's really not possible.

They do have smart disconnects for electric water heaters and central A/C compressors so they can be shut off remotely during peak demand.  I think the homeowner gets a discount for letting them install one.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:46:10 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
Smart meters work hand in hand with energy star appliances.  Supposedly, smart meter equipped homes with appropriate appliances can alter the frequency of the power so that your laundry dryer or plasma tv will not work during power rationing, but your fridge and heater will.

I hadn't heard this one yet.  Conspiracy central (aka rural NORCAL) is obviously behind the 8 ball on this one or my ear is not as glued to the ground as I thought it was.  Maybe they figured out that I am a government plant!!!!!!

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
Frequency is one thing they can't really mess with.  By can't I don't mean oughtn't, I mean it's really not possible.

They do have smart disconnects for electric water heaters and central A/C compressors so they can be shut off remotely during peak demand.  I think the homeowner gets a discount for letting them install one.

Ah they are going it, messing with the frequency.  http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/25/it-hertz-when-you-do-that-power-grid-to-stop-regulating-60-hz-frequency/

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 11:54:24 PM »
I have a little bit of experience in this field, having cataloged over 14,000 distribution transformers for Connecticut Light & Power last year.

First of all, what the hell is anyone doing cutting locks to gain access to anyone's property?  If I did that I would have been fired so fast I'd warp back in time.  Second, no distribution transformer currently on the market is capable of processing the kind of information they're talking about, and power companies will not replace a transformer unless it stops working or blows up.  The oldest one I saw was a 1947 Westinghouse and it was still on the line, transforming away.

Lastly, while I'll always come down on the side of the property owners, any health concerns here are complete bunk.  That being said, it is clearly wrong for the municipality to twist their arm as goons for the power company.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:11:36 AM »
George Noory's COAST-TO-COASTAM is running a show tonight on the topic of smart meters.  Perhaps he'll discover whose behind the plot, the MEN IN BLACK, the Bilderbergers, or Space Aliens.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »
I thought the Bilderbergers were Space Aliens.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »
I thought the Bilderbergers were Space Aliens.

No.  They just eat babies wrapped in gold foil.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 12:44:58 AM »
No.  They just eat babies wrapped in gold foil.

Doesn't everyone?

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »
Doesn't everyone?

Nope, just the reptilians. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
According to the Progressive Electric Company spokesman here in central Florida, a smart meter is so fast and accurate the power company can tell what types of appliances are in use and what show is playing on the TV ... Cable or NetFlix or DVD ... I believe in the not too distant future we'll see discussions of smart meter evidence just like we now see evidence provided by cell tower pings ... Wow !! I guess I'd sound paranoid if I had anything to hide ...  ;/
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 10:30:32 AM »
Wouldn't a frequency change affect a lot of large and expensive synchronous motors operating off grid power?  The systems monitoring the larger motors do track frequency.  Our company has one in the area that is 35,000 HP.  I know there are larger models. 

As far as smart meters, I just don't really want someone shutting off my power.  I don't care much about the remote read.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »

This is exactly why I am paying to keep my old analog meter.

That, and there are more than a few reports of exhorbitant high bills after a smart meter install.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
This is exactly why I am paying to keep my old analog meter.

That, and there are more than a few reports of exhorbitant high bills after a smart meter install.

Second is true. There have been more than a few reports of "hey, my bill has jumped up quite a bit..." from folks that don't sound like they wear tin foil.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »
"First of all, what the hell is anyone doing cutting locks to gain access to anyone's property?"

To access THEIR property, i.e., the meter.

From the sounds of it, and while the article doesn't specifically say, my guess is that it was done with a court order permitting access.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
seemingly normal folk can be real crazy.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I