Author Topic: The anti-Smart Meter movement.  (Read 4403 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: The anti-Smart Meter movement.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »
So, folks have a gut feeling, without necessarily knowing any details of the technology, that these will be used for nefarious purposes.  

Gee, where do you think they could have gotten that idea?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
A meter that enables them to read it wirelessly from a distance? Fine. A meter that does anything other than read how much electricity I use? No way in hell. It is not the power company or .gov's business what I use my 'lectricity for, so long as I pay for it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
"Gee, where do you think they could have gotten that idea?"

Holding a cell phone up to their ear for far too long.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
A meter that enables them to read it wirelessly from a distance? Fine. A meter that does anything other than read how much electricity I use? No way in hell. It is not the power company or .gov's business what I use my 'lectricity for, so long as I pay for it.

Hmmm.  I know that up here in the Seattle area, I have read the occasional media story about electricity use tipping off LEO as to the presence of indoor marijuana grow operations.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »
Hmmm.  I know that up here in the Seattle area, I have read the occasional media story about electricity use tipping off LEO as to the presence of indoor marijuana grow operations.

Cause they do it don't make it right

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
So, folks have a gut feeling, without necessarily knowing any details of the technology, that these will be used for nefarious purposes.  

Knowing a bit more about the tech, there are better and worse models. The lower end ones have more issues. I've heard of everything ranging from smart meter using non-trivial amount of power (billed to customer), to using same SSH key for every smart meter, to remote disable vulnerabilities, etc. Better models do mesh, use trivial amounts of power, good authentication schema, etc. But they cost more.

The "smart meter knows all you do!", yea...  no. Possible in a lab. Real world? Not practical. Van eck phreaking is significantly more practical.

"Smart meter can mess with my major appliances". Practical, but so stupid it's not funny. Leave frequency alone, please.

Electrical company folks can legally access your meter, nothing more or less. If you put a fence around your entire property, and leave the the meter outside or accessibly outside (know someone that cut a hole in the fence for the reader), they can't force entry onto your property. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »

I'm also familiar with them using FLIR cameras to view folks' homes as well. Avenger is correct, can doesn't mean right.

Just FYI, last I heard, it's basically not legal to jam any radio traffic. Passive material jamming is usually legal, but building codes usually forbid the most effective techniques.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »

And, of course, there have been cases where they raided the wrong house simply because they went above a certain kWh amount too many days in a row.  
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »

Reminds me of a funny story.  I grew up in the snow belt of Ohio (NE OH) and we would average 120" a year of snow (obviously not all at once.)  My parents still live up there and related the following:

Some Asian guys rent a house and turn it into an indoor marijuana grow operation.  The sheriff's department discovered the operation due to the fact that this was the only house in the neighborhood that didn't have any snow on the roof the entire winter, from the heat of the grow lamps.  :rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
there have been cases where they raided the wrong house simply because they went above a certain kWh amount too many days in a row. 

my google fu is weak  i ran a search looking for those "cases"   could you point to one for me?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
Ah they are going it, messing with the frequency.  http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/25/it-hertz-when-you-do-that-power-grid-to-stop-regulating-60-hz-frequency/

Not keeping it at exactly precisely on the dot can use it to tell time with 60hz is not the same as altering the frequency as a control mechanism.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
there have been cases where they raided the wrong house simply because they went above a certain kWh amount too many days in a row. 

my google fu is weak  i ran a search looking for those "cases"   could you point to one for me?

Here are a couple I found right away: 

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18335/bitcoin_miners_busted_police_confuse_bitcoin_power_usage_for_pot_farm

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/elevated-electric-bill-prompts-pot-raid

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »
The remote read meters  ???

We got those a couple years back.  We used to read our own meter, and write it down on the part of the bill that you send back with the payment.

I'm sorry, I just ain't too worked up about our member owned co-op in Montana.

There have been more than a few reports of "hey, my bill has jumped up quite a bit..." from folks that don't sound like they wear tin foil.

Oh, yeah - our bill jumped too.  [tinfoil]

The billing cycle changed and we had about 1.5 months on one bill  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
Here are a couple I found right away: 

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18335/bitcoin_miners_busted_police_confuse_bitcoin_power_usage_for_pot_farm

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/elevated-electric-bill-prompts-pot-raid

keep looking

the first one refers to an internet chat about a rumour and see line 18 of page 3 of the warrant on your second link. it debunks the "simply because they went too high on electric bill
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
Possible reason why electric bills have give up...

The old analog meters were defective and were not reading correctly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 11:51:23 PM »
Ah they are going it, messing with the frequency.  http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/25/it-hertz-when-you-do-that-power-grid-to-stop-regulating-60-hz-frequency/

I have a recollection that they bagged that experiment.  Could be wrong, though.

In any event, it's not the meters doing the frequency changing, that's being done at the generation point.  While meters could be built that could alter line frequency, they would be much larger and complex than the smart units what with the added power circuitry and necessary heat sinking.
More low quality tin foil head wear craftmanship.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »

[tinfoil]     Oh...I dunno.......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 01:54:59 AM »

I wonder if I get on any "lists" with my green house and using grow lights that can be seen through the windows when I'm starting tomato and pepper plants.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
I wonder if I get on any "lists" with my green house and using grow lights that can be seen through the windows when I'm starting tomato and pepper plants.

It's been nice knowing you  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
keep looking

the first one refers to an internet chat about a rumour and see line 18 of page 3 of the warrant on your second link. it debunks the "simply because they went too high on electric bill

There are numerous reports that back up the bitcoins story, and the Carlsbad case the electricity was the biggest piece of PC presented.

But, I know how much you love a big raid, so carry on with your confirmation bias. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
I guess that we're probably next on the list to get our door busted down, because it is like, you know, winter - and after almost ten years here and getting a bit older we decided to turn the baseboard electric heaters to Low and not go downstairs and feed the woodstove in the middle of every night.

=|

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »
There are numerous reports that back up the bitcoins story, and the Carlsbad case the electricity was the biggest piece of PC presented.

But, I know how much you love a big raid, so carry on with your confirmation bias. 

your irony about confirmation bias was great
how many is numerous?  and you think the electric bill trumped the snitch?  and the dog alerting?   no bias at all.... =D

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »
If a high electric bill is enough to trigger a raid I'll be waiting to see Algores mansion on the news.  :P

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
A couple of things.

1.  Like a couple of other Chicago suburbs, the city of Naperville owns and runs the electric, water, and wastewater utilities.   So it's the city going after the residents, not a utility company and not the city on behalf of a utility.  (One reason I live where  I live, I get my electricity from Constellation Energy and deliverd by ComEd's wires.)

2.  I have a smart water and electric meter.   I get Lake Michigan water and the city of Chicago is sticking it to the DuPage water board, so rates went up this year.  It's really good water and beats the hell out of the iron and sulfur rich well water we used to get. so I'll pay it.   On well city well water, you never felt clean after a shower, the toilet bowl was always stained red, and you could tell by the smell when someone opened a tap.  [barf] [barf]

3.  A few years ago I agreed to let Comed install a gizmo on the outside breaker box for the A/C.  They give $10 a month off on my electric in the summer months and they can "cycle" my A/C when demand is really high.  Like I care, since I very, very rarely run the A/C.  I ran it two days last year, because it's 68* in the basement all year.  So they end up not cycling anything and my electric bill drops to $30-$35 per month in summer when everyone else's is going through the roof.  =D ;)

4.  Which is why I laugh when I get telemarketers that call who try to tell me I can save $75-$200 a month on electricity if I install their solar panels or somesuch.   "You'll pay me ?"  I ask.  Once I explain how little I use and what my average monthly bill is (roughly $45 per month).  They give up.  

5.  I don't like the idea of Comed (or the city of Naperville) being able to arbitrarily adjust my power (usage) without my consent, if Whack-A-Doodle #1 and Whack-A-Doodle #2 don't like what Naperville is doing, move.

6.  I lived in Germany which is 220V, 50Hertz AC.  Unless you have 50 cycle electronics it plays bloody hell with 60cycle stuff.  Yeah, you could get transformers to step down to 110V, but it fried electronics on epic scales and royally screwed up anything with a clock or timer.  (Clocks lost ~10 seconds every minute.)  I have no doubt that at some point they may on orders from the .gov play with how much electricity us proles get.  (Carbon tax, Cap & Trade and on and on.)  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:29:38 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
Friend of mine had a visit from the police a few years ago. Apparently, someone had spotted marijuana plants on her window sill. Except these marijuana plants turned out to be tomato plants she was trying to grow. Police still confiscated them, then some time later, she got a letter saying "yes, they turned out to be tomato plants, not marijuana". She also got 2000 krona in compensation for them. She had bought them for 50 krona or something, so she didn't complain about that :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila