Author Topic: American Shopping Malls, 1989  (Read 4757 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
American Shopping Malls, 1989
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:55:29 PM »
My first thought was, "How is 1989 retro? Oh wait, I'm old."
Second thought: "Oh God, the hair".
My third thought was that everyone was looking where they were going and no one was talking on a phone (The first Motorola Microtac cell phones had just come out).

http://mashable.com/2014/12/02/80s-shopping-malls/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: American Shopping Malls, 1989
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:52:45 AM »
My kids think of the 1980's like I think of the 1950's...  =|

More random thoughts:

We've crossed the point where almost anything that's identifiable film photography might look "dated" just by virtue of emulsion/grain.

There are still some identifiable sub-cultures from 1989, or their ancestors anyway, that are still going strong today. Hip Hop, Goth etc...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:57:28 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »
Thanks!  That was one hell of a time-trip.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 06:48:25 AM »
Wow, while I didn't recognize anyone of those places in particular everything was still familiar in a way.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »
Wow. Freaking wow.

I've not set foot in a mall in a couple of years, so I really don't know what they're like anymore, but I some of those stores...

Fannie Farmer candy (gone), Merry Go Round (gone), Lane Bryant (still operating), Zales (still around), B. Dalton (gone)...

What really startled me is the pictures of people smoking in the malls. I had forgotten that that wsa still allowed, to a limited degree, in 1989.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:41:32 AM »
Another major difference is that in the malls of today, a much larger percentage of the population is significantly obese.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:10:45 AM »
Must have only been 3 architectural firms in the 70s and 80s that designed malls.

And one supplier of the brown floor tiles. :)

I miss cruising the mall in the late 80s, but I can't believe I wore those jeans (and pinched rolled them) and had a mullet.  :lol:
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »
Notice the banners advertising "Buy American - Buy Sears" ?   Reminds me of the WalMart ad campaign touting all the "Made in USA" merchandise they used to sell.

The main reason large enclosed malls fell out of favor (aside from costs) is that they became gathering places for "urban youts" who caused problems.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »
Wow. Freaking wow.

I've not set foot in a mall in a couple of years, so I really don't know what they're like anymore, but I some of those stores...

Not a single thing I want in the malls I can get to easily from here.  I even have trouble finding anything I want to buy in Barnes & Noble.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
Those pictures look like they could have come out of eastern europe today.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
Those pictures look like they could have come out of eastern europe today.
Not enough tracksuits. Not enough squatting.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
" and had a mullet."

I have absolutely NO problem believing that you had a mullet...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
" and had a mullet."

I have absolutely NO problem believing that you had a mullet...

Me neither, but I think we should ban him for the jeans.  =D

Millcreek - spot on. It would be interesting to have a compare and contrast photoset of "mall walkers" then and today.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
Funny how odd it now looks to see people smoking inside, when it was so common then.

Also, I miss music stores, flipping through stacks of records and tapes.  All of the cool album cover art...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
Also, I miss music stores, flipping through stacks of records and tapes.  All of the cool album cover art...

I spent a lot of time in the mall music stores as a teen / young adult. I remember what a bummer it was when they went from vinyl to CD because the album art was half the fun of browsing music.

I can't remember the last time I set foot in a mall. Do they even still have music stores that sell CDs or anything? I would imagine them being more like standalone used bookstores now - where you find them in the old or funky parts of town and where you can buy old used vinyl and stuff.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
I spent a lot of time in the mall music stores as a teen / young adult. I remember what a bummer it was when they went from vinyl to CD because the album art was half the fun of browsing music.

I can't remember the last time I set foot in a mall. Do they even still have music stores that sell CDs or anything? I would imagine them being more like standalone used bookstores now - where you find them in the old or funky parts of town and where you can buy old used vinyl and stuff.

I did as well.  And, I have two teen sons, so I spend more time than I would like in malls.  There are no more music stores.  if you want to buy a CD, you need to go to Target or WalMart.  Even best buy carries very few CDs anymore.  It's all about the downloads, streaming, and "the Cloud."  Sometimes, you can find eclectic music stores that carry something other than Top 40 albums and real vinyl.  An aside, I played a real record at home the other week.  My 12 year old son asked me how you skip tracks or repeat a track.  It was funny to watch him shake his head when i told him you listened to the record the way it was put out by the artist.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
Me neither, but I think we should ban him for the jeans.  =D

You wore those jeans also.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »
You wore those jeans also.

Think again Herbert. I may have been caught out in public in t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off, but I have never worn, let alone rolled up, a pair of designer jeans in my life. :P

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
Every mall had the movie theater.  Not a lot of the stand alone ones like we have now.

I don't go to the malls but maybe once or twice a year now myself.  
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »
Think again Herbert. I may have been caught out in public in t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off, but I have never worn, let alone rolled up, a pair of designer jeans in my life. :P

Even the generic brands were stone/acid washed by the late 1980s.

I only wore Levi's then, well still only wear Levi's. I don't consider Levi's designer jeans.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
I only wore Levi's then, well still only wear Levi's. I don't consider Levi's designer jeans.

Your mom wears Levis.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »
I did as well.  And, I have two teen sons, so I spend more time than I would like in malls.  There are no more music stores.  if you want to buy a CD, you need to go to Target or WalMart.  Even best buy carries very few CDs anymore.  It's all about the downloads, streaming, and "the Cloud."  Sometimes, you can find eclectic music stores that carry something other than Top 40 albums and real vinyl.  An aside, I played a real record at home the other week.  My 12 year old son asked me how you skip tracks or repeat a track.  It was funny to watch him shake his head when i told him you listened to the record the way it was put out by the artist.

They haven't quite been completely run out of business. One of the malls within an hour (as in, none of the nearby malls, but the next city over) still has an F.Y.E. there.

Not just CDs, but the vast majority of their stock is CDs.

But, yes, of the three nearest malls, only one has a "music" store. They are dying.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
Your mom wears Levis.

She did when she was younger. :P

Uranus is a gas giant.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
Every mall had the movie theater.  Not a lot of the stand alone ones like we have now.

Which is odd, because IIRC, none of the malls in the Milwaukee metro had attached theaters. It was kind of a "new concept" when the one premier mall that's still got the "mojo" in town added one on in the late 90's or early 2000's.

Instead of boosting the mall, it became another magnet for the troublesome urban youths that are one known cause of mall death.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
Instead of boosting the mall, it became another magnet for the troublesome urban youths that are one known cause of mall death.

Yes, and if the mall/movie theater operators refuse to put on one of the Tyler Perry yute-magnet movies, they are called racists.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama