Author Topic: American Shopping Malls, 1989  (Read 4758 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: American Shopping Malls, 1989
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 12:34:22 PM »
"a pair of designer jeans in my life."

I remember when Guess jeans were all the rage.

Came across a girl wearing them, so I guessed...

175 pounds? Hey, if you didn't want me to guess, you shouldn't have worn those jeans!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
. . . But, yes, of the three nearest malls, only one has a "music" store. They are dying.
Most of the "music" coming out these days is crap . . . no wonder the "music" stores are dying.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »
Ahhhh, yes, Middle and High School years.  (~1977-1983, once I started Kollege, trips to mall ended.)

Hanging out at the video arcade  (I was a champion at Galaga and Tempest), rummaging through the records at Camelot Music (there was another local chain record store in Greenwood Park mall also, I disremember their name.)  And generally, "crusin' around" looking for and at girls.

The movie theater (3 plex) was out in the corner of the parking lot, so all the problems associated with the mid-night movies (Rocky Horror, et al.)  Pretty much stayed out in the parking lot and the theater.

I did collections work for Monkey Wards in the Yorktown Mall, but since I only got a 15 minute break, (and was pretty broke most of the time), I usually just grabbed a can of pop from the soda machine, and stared lovingly at the food in the snack machine in the break room before going back to work.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
1989. I deployed to the Med in September. We spent the next 6 months playing with the locals and thumbing our nose at Kahdafi and his "line of death" nonsense. We were there when the wall came down, I remember it as being kind of a big deal at the time. I may have visited a shopping mall of sorts when we made a port visit to Toulon, France but it didn't look like any of those pics.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »
What really startled me is the pictures of people smoking in the malls. I had forgotten that that wsa still allowed, to a limited degree, in 1989.

I can remember some of the grocery stores having ashtrays bracketing the endcap displays every other aisle.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »
Instead of boosting the mall, it became another magnet for the troublesome urban youths that are one known cause of mall death.

I will be accused of racism for posting this, but what the heck:

Quote from: Chris Rock
... every town's got two malls: they got the white mall, and the mall white people used to go to. 'Cause there ain't nothing in the black mall. Nothing in the black mall but sneakers and baby clothes.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »
I distinctly remember people smoking in movie theaters, grocery and department stores, and even doctor's offices.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
That website was a trip back to some memories of my childhood, early '90s...the malls were much the same.

I remember smoking in some stores still being allowed.

The local mall looked exactly like many of the photos there. I have to agree, the brown floor tiles were rather ubiquitous, same for the architecture.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
I distinctly remember people smoking in movie theaters, grocery and department stores, and even doctor's offices.

I can remember doctors smoking. I also remember going to see my FIL when he was in the hospital following a heart attack. He and I took a walk down the hall to the lounge and smoked cigarettes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 12:32:44 AM »
I was just thinking about the big wall of cassette tapes in the music store.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »
Most of the "music" coming out these days is crap . . . no wonder the "music" stores are dying.

;/  That would have been true in the '60s, the '80s, or any other decade. There are musicians making all manner of quality music. In fact, it's easier to find good music now, than at any other time in human history. And much of it is free.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »
That website was a trip back to some memories of my childhood, early '90s...the malls were much the same.

I remember smoking in some stores still being allowed.

The local mall looked exactly like many of the photos there. I have to agree, the brown floor tiles were rather ubiquitous, same for the architecture.

You never got to experience the mall in the mid 1980s. I was preteen/teen then and it was just weird freak show of people watching.

Watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High and that will give you a look back at those days.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »

A few years ago, the sales guy that worked with me had a meeting with a chamber of commerce here in Kentucky.  He came back smelling of cigarette smoke, I accused him of going to a bar, but nope the employees of the chamber smoked in the office and had ash trays on each of their desks. 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
You never got to experience the mall in the mid 1980s. I was preteen/teen then and it was just weird freak show of people watching.

Watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High and that will give you a look back at those days.

You should have gone to the mall in the 1970s during the height of the Disco phase. Frigging leisure suits on the men, pants suits on the women, those horrid full body things, prairie skirts, plaid slacks....

Holy hell the 1970s sucked ass!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »
You should have gone to the mall in the 1970s during the height of the Disco phase. Frigging leisure suits on the men, pants suits on the women, those horrid full body things, prairie skirts, plaid slacks....

Clearly you've never been to Hulen Mall around this time of year.  The 70s would be a massive improvement.

Parks Mall in Arlington is just a fancier version, with designer saggies and more real gold.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

Holy hell the 1970s sucked ass!

I'm from Iowa, that was the 1980s.   :rofl:
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UJN8jqD6V4

My home town mall that went tits up due to several reasons.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
Evergreen Plaza in the Chicago area has "officially" closed . . . it was going downhill even back when I lived there; as the ghetto approached the hoodrats began taking over. I remember one wearing a T-shirt that said "We took Evergreen Plaza - Ford City is next!"   :O   (Ford City was another shopping center well west of Evergreen Plaza - I understand it's still open, but is going through some major changes.)

Highland Mall in Austin, TX, opened in 1971 . . . it had several anchor stores (Dillards, JCPenny, Macy's) but once these closed, the mall's business pretty much collapsed. Rather than being demolished, however, Austin Community College acquired the property and it is now being redeveloped into offices and a college campus; I believe a handful of smaller stores will remain open until their leases expire.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
There was one here in DC metro, Springfield Mall, that was thriving when I moved to the area in the early 1990s.

It started a crash and burn apparently starting with the dotbomb. It started having gang and related crime problems in the 2000s and was finally closed and redeveloped into a town center concept.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »
http://onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/northridgetour.html

I got to see the death throes of this one.
I work just down the street from it in its last 5 years of operation.
The area was once a very nice commercial district and area, but is now is perceived to be somewhat ghetto-ish, because of a large number of formerly nice apartment buildings nearby going to section-8 housing.  
The more conservative (and wealthier) suburbs in the area have learned from this example. In a few instances, developers have tried to tie commercial development with section-8 housing added into the mix- the people of these communities barely stopped short of taking the developers and politicians involved and tarring/feathering/running out of town on a rail.

Want to see wealth and prosperity leave a community? Invite the welfare class to move in.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:02:14 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
Evergreen Plaza in the Chicago area has "officially" closed . . . it was going downhill even back when I lived there; as the ghetto approached the hoodrats began taking over. I remember one wearing a T-shirt that said "We took Evergreen Plaza - Ford City is next!"   :O   (Ford City was another shopping center well west of Evergreen Plaza - I understand it's still open, but is going through some major changes.)

Highland Mall in Austin, TX, opened in 1971 . . . it had several anchor stores (Dillards, JCPenny, Macy's) but once these closed, the mall's business pretty much collapsed. Rather than being demolished, however, Austin Community College acquired the property and it is now being redeveloped into offices and a college campus; I believe a handful of smaller stores will remain open until their leases expire.
If the Yelp! reviews are anything to go by, Ford City's days are numbered.

The decline of the anchor stores (Sears, Wards, Penny's, Marshall Fields and the like) are one major factor in their decline, with the Section 8 types coming in a close second.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
That's unfortunate - back when I was still in Chicago, it was considered to be a nice place to shop. I remember the "Wieboldt's" department store was said to be the largest single-story department store in the USA. The movie theater was pretty nice there, I know my folks bought some furniture from, IIRC, the "John M. Smyth" furniture store, the JCPenny was well-managed . . .

And no problem with hoodrats/mallrats back then.

Things change . . . and seldom for the better.    =(

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »

The decline of the anchor stores (Sears, Wards, Penny's, Marshall Fields and the like) are one major factor in their decline, with the Section 8 types coming in a close second.

I predict the new "redlining" of the 21st century will eventually just be online retailers who won't take EBT, and neighborhoods where UPS, FedEx, and Amazon drones refuse to go.
I promise not to duck.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2014, 09:22:52 PM »
Thats a lot of hair spray.

In the one music store photo there was vinyl, cd's, and cassettes.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »
In the one music store photo there was vinyl, cd's, and cassettes.
8-tracks were faded by then . . .