Author Topic: Police in a shootout with armed robbers...  (Read 4533 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Police in a shootout with armed robbers...
« on: December 07, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
https://cbs12.com/news/local/ups-driver-killed-in-armed-robbery-chase-and-shootout-identified-as-a-young-father

And they kill the robbers. And their hostage. And an innocent bystander.

Over 200 rounds fired into the truck from up to 19 officers. (Not sure how many fired, but that many responded.)

I am at a loss for how reckless that was.

Oh, and the hostage was on his first day as a UPS driver.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Police in a shootout with armed robbers...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
Sounds like they went with spray and pray in a hostage situation  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 01:41:19 PM »
Yeah, why are they unloading in a hostage situation? Maybe there was a reason, but I'm scratching my head on it. If the bad guys and hostage were all in the UPS truck, it seems like a classic, "grab some donuts and coffee and wait them out" situation.

Did the robbers maybe start shooting every which way and the cops thought it the better part of a bad situation to end that quickly so more bystanders weren't killed?

Oh, also slightly political thread veer but I can't help myself: If highly trained firearm expert cops need 200 rounds to put down a couple of guys, it seems like little old scared me in my home might want a 30 round magazine or ten.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
https://cbs12.com/news/local/ups-driver-killed-in-armed-robbery-chase-and-shootout-identified-as-a-young-father

And they kill the robbers. And their hostage. And an innocent bystander.

Over 200 rounds fired into the truck from up to 19 officers. (Not sure how many fired, but that many responded.)

I am at a loss for how reckless that was.

According to the article:

According to CBS Miami, 19 officers from five different agencies fired into the UPS truck. The number of shots fired could exceed 200 rounds.

But we need to keep in mind the most important fact: 19 brave police officers all went home at the end of their shift. Everything else is collateral damage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:38:13 PM »
200 rounds would be only 10 rounds each.  That isn't all that much.  I would say the shot count is either much higher or most of the officers didn't fire. 

I thought this was what patrol rifles were for.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 11:50:57 PM »
The UPS truck was stopped by traffic.  The cops were using cars as cover/concealment (in other words innocent bystanders as human shields) as they approached and fired into a panel truck -- where they couldn't see who or what they were shooting at, killing the robbers, the hostage, and a bystander.  

Supposedly the bad guys started shooting first, so that makes it okay.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:59:54 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 08:40:21 AM »
200 rounds would be only 10 rounds each.  That isn't all that much.  I would say the shot count is either much higher or most of the officers didn't fire. 

I thought this was what patrol rifles were for.

Without trying to unnecessarily knock the cops, with that many around, once the shooting starts, I wonder if there's a semi-involuntary psychological component that kicks in with, "Everyone else is shooting - I'd better get a few rounds off myself."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »
Without trying to unnecessarily knock the cops, with that many around, once the shooting starts, I wonder if there's a semi-involuntary psychological component that kicks in with, "Everyone else is shooting - I'd better get a few rounds off myself."
Yes. It is called sympathetic fire or contagious shooting.

I’ll wait on some more details.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »
I saw this picture posted on twitter.  No link was given so I am not sure where it came from.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 07:57:20 AM »
Tangential pet peeve of mine: EVERYONE in that photo is a civilian.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »
Technically, they didn't label the police officers.   =D  ....but I know what you mean.

It does illustrate that cops were shooting past occupied cars.  They may not have intended to use people as cover, but they did.

Not to mention that is appears most of them did not have a target aside from the truck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 09:07:34 AM »
https://www.wptv.com/news/state/investigators-want-drivers-videos-of-ups-truck-shooting-in-broward-county
This has a short video from inside a car of officers shooting over the car. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 09:13:06 AM »
I did not notice until just now that it was BROWARD COUNTY.

That explains a lot.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »

It does illustrate that cops were shooting past occupied cars.  They may not have intended to use people as cover, but they did.

Yeah, if I were the driver of that red car and saw that photo, I'd be shitting my pants post-incident.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/miramar/fl-ne-police-response-18-cops-ups-driver-20191210-vtikqxukmjgv7fjtndudp3qnqm-story.html
This link has the video from the helicopter.  

You can see cops using occupied cars as cover.  There could be a backseat full of child safety seats for all they know.  

Also, near the end everyone is still pointing guns but approaching from all angles so any fire was be at other police officers.  

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
Yeah, if I were the driver of that red car and saw that photo, I'd be shitting my pants post-incident.

A 70 year old was killed in the shootout, and we don't know which car he was in. He may very well have been the driver of that red car.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
I would be curious to match up the bystander killed with where she was on the photo.  I am sure lawyers are already looking at that.

(makattak got in ahead of me with the same comment)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/miramar/fl-ne-police-response-18-cops-ups-driver-20191210-vtikqxukmjgv7fjtndudp3qnqm-story.html
This link has the video from the helicopter.  

You can see cops using occupied cars as cover.  There could be a backseat full of child safety seats for all they know.  

Also, near the end everyone is still pointing guns but approaching from all angles so any fire was be at other police officers.  

From your link:

He said the officers are “emotionally distraught. Our No. 1 goal is protection of the citizens.”

I actually laughed out loud at that. I'm fairly certain that isn't their number 1 goal or we'd have seen the citizens pulled out of their cars instead of the police using them as human shields.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 10:22:41 AM »
I did not notice until just now that it was BROWARD COUNTY.

That explains a lot.

Same for me. Yes, Broward County does explain a lot. Looks like the new sheriff still has a lot of training to get his deputies caught up on.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
Okay, I'll play devil's advocate.  I still don't have enough info to make a determination about whether the police made the best out of a bad situation or screwed the pooch - other than to note that any situation that produces dead innocent people sucks.  The other side of that is that bad guys shooting it out in a crowded space is never going to be safe no matter what the cops do or don't do.

While I'll allow that it is likely that police shot both bad guys, the UPS guy and the bystander, to my knowledge that hasn't been clarified.  If the hostage and/or the bystander turn out to have been killed by the robbers would that change any of your views?

The UPS truck was stopped by traffic.  The cops were using cars as cover/concealment (in other words innocent bystanders as human shields) as they approached and fired into a panel truck -- where they couldn't see who or what they were shooting at, killing the robbers, the hostage, and a bystander.

;/
The cops were using available cover and concealment.  Video was posted of some uninvolved motorists doing the exact same thing - crouching behind occupied cars and trying not to get shot.  No, they weren't using innocent bystanders as human shields.  The bad guys were, for sure, but no one else that I saw.

Supposedly the bad guys started shooting first, so that makes it okay.
If that turns out to be the truth, how exactly do you want police to handle an active shooter scenario featuring (as you noted) lots of innocent people all around the UPS truck?  What's the best tactical solution in your book?  Turn around and leave?  Maybe pull a Scot Peterson and hang out where it is safe until the bad guys run out of ammo or decide they're done?  Make sure that you stand up tall in the hope that any incoming round hits you square and maybe doesn't hurt as many people behind you?

Assuming as before that the bad guys started blasting first then I don't care.  The backseat full of kids in car seats is not safer by giving free reign to the armed robbers who have shown a willingness to carjack and take hostages, and who have decided to level up to active shooters on crowded street.  Nor is there any conceivable way the police could have approached the vehicle with zero risk.  That is to say, if cops crouch behind a car, any occupant of the vehicle could be injured by incoming gunfire.  If they stand in the open then innocent people behind them could be injured by incoming gunfire.  If they shoot at the vehicle they might miss and hit someone.  If they fail to engage the bad guys, the bad guys might keep trying to kill people.

I actually laughed out loud at that. I'm fairly certain that isn't their number 1 goal or we'd have seen the citizens pulled out of their cars instead of the police using them as human shields.
Again with the  ;/
When the bad guys are shooting on a crowded street (or a crowded school, or wherever bad guys are shooting at innocent people), the best thing to do in my opinion is to stop the shooting ASAP.  That's why we criticized Scot for failing to even attempt to engage the Parkland shooter.  It's easy to armchair quarterback the call to shoot the bad guys given the risks and the outcome, or to use cover and concealment to move to where they could get a better shot.  Then again, who is to say that had more of the police focused on evacuating the vehicles instead of applying tactical pressure that the outcome would have been any better?  People hidden in their vehicles might catch a round, but so might people running away, especially if the bad guys are then able to take more time to aim.  For that matter, pulling someone out of a car or leading them away could draw fire every bit as much or more.

Yes, I'm aware that what-ifs could easily go the other way too.  Maybe had mak or bob been in control of the situation and applied their brilliant, retrospective tactical prowess no one would have gotten hurt at all.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
Okay, I'll play devil's advocate.  I still don't have enough info to make a determination about whether the police made the best out of a bad situation or screwed the pooch - other than to note that any situation that produces dead innocent people sucks.  The other side of that is that bad guys shooting it out in a crowded space is never going to be safe no matter what the cops do or don't do.

<bunch of what-if stuff>

Yes, I'm aware that what-ifs could easily go the other way too.  Maybe had mak or bob been in control of the situation and applied their brilliant, retrospective tactical prowess no one would have gotten hurt at all.

Ok, let's go to the video tape from the helicopter.  

I paused immediately following the shootout. I counted 30+ police officers with guns drawn, advancing on the UPS truck.

How many officers did I count checking on the citizens in the surrounding cars? Zero.

During the shootout, there were over 15 officers actually shooting. Others (of those 30+) were moving into position to shoot, as well.

Guess how many I saw trying to get the citizens in the cars out of harms way? Also zero. EVERY police officer was trying to get into position to shoot or shooting.

IF their number 1 goal was protecting citizens, at least some of them would have realized that firearm #27 focused on the exact same location is PROBABLY not helpful and I should give some attention to the surrounding area.

After determining the threat was ceased, guess how many sprinted over (or even ambled over) to the surrounding vehicles? No no, guess.

The police were focused on the shooters and themselves.

That's understandable, but that's not what their superior said. Even if two innocents hadn't been killed in the crossfire, this is not an example the police should have been proud of.

And YES, I do expect more from people who are paid to confront danger than any random person confronted by danger.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »
I saw this picture posted on twitter.  No link was given so I am not sure where it came from.

Looking in the upper left part of the photo:  do I see cops taking cover BEHIND the car full of kids?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »
"Acceptable" collateral damage is what you get with a military mindset.

It was a no win situation for the cops unfortunately.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 01:31:49 PM »
cordex, I am not saying the cops are bad guys in all this, I just think their tactics could be better and it should be a big training opportunity.  My thoughts are all in hindsight.  The big question is was keeping their distance and waiting an option at all?  Or did the bad guys start shooting before they were closing in?  I thought they usually kept their distance in hostage situations but I don't know if those officers knew there was a hostage.

I think using occupied cars for cover and shooting from those positions draws fire toward bystanders.  I would have liked to see some officers working on pulling people out and getting them clear.  It is a busy street so it was a sucky situation from the start.  I realize these are not organized police platoon.  They are a bunch of singles and pairs coming together to catch these guys.  I am not sure who should be organizing things in a situation like that.

I also question whether that many officers should be firing since most of them can't see the occupants of the UPS truck.  How do you train for that when these situations are so rare?

The only solution I could think of for cover is those bullet proof (resistant) riot shields I have seen.  That would allow them to approach with some protection and stay clear of cars.  Not a perfect solution.    

I would like to see more patrol rifles in this case to provide more accurate fire though that means they can't carry a riot shield.  I did notice one or two.  Maybe they could work in pairs.  At the distance many of the officers were firing, most pistol shooters are not so accurate.

At this point, it is already done so the best thing to do is learn from it. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »

While I'll allow that it is likely that police shot both bad guys, the UPS guy and the bystander, to my knowledge that hasn't been clarified.  If the hostage and/or the bystander turn out to have been killed by the robbers would that change any of your views?

No. What about the possibility of breaking off the hot pursuit and just following the UPS truck with a helicopter? Keep it in view and follow at a distance until the vehicle can be isolated away from masses of civilians, or until the bad guys exit the vehicle.

The cops were using available cover and concealment.  Video was posted of some uninvolved motorists doing the exact same thing - crouching behind occupied cars and trying not to get shot.  No, they weren't using innocent bystanders as human shields.  The bad guys were, for sure, but no one else that I saw.

If the vehicles the cops were hiding behind had innocent people inside them, then the cops very much were using innocent bystanders as human shields. If the cops weren't hiding behind those vehicles, the bad guys would have no reason to be shooting at those vehicles. Full stop. By using those vehicles as "cover," the cops were directly endangering the occupants.