Author Topic: Police in a shootout with armed robbers...  (Read 4536 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Police in a shootout with armed robbers...
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »
If that turns out to be the truth, how exactly do you want police to handle an active shooter scenario featuring (as you noted) lots of innocent people all around the UPS truck?  What's the best tactical solution in your book?  Turn around and leave?  Maybe pull a Scot Peterson and hang out where it is safe until the bad guys run out of ammo or decide they're done?  Make sure that you stand up tall in the hope that any incoming round hits you square and maybe doesn't hurt as many people behind you?

How about follow at a distance instead of forcing a confrontation in a crowded area that they had no control over?  A helicopter couldn't track a UPS truck?  The police showed no regard for the hostage, and very little if any for the public.
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »
How about follow at a distance instead of forcing a confrontation in a crowded area that they had no control over?  A helicopter couldn't track a UPS truck?  The police showed no regard for the hostage, and very little if any for the public.

Also, I would make a solid bet that the UPS truck had GPS on it enabling it to be tracked.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
Tangential pet peeve of mine: EVERYONE in that photo is a civilian.

QFTMFT.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

griz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »
I wouldn't use the term human shield, but hiding behind an uninvolved person does increase their risk of incoming fire.  That said, I can't imagine a way to quickly get those same parties to safety when looking at the picture.  Maybe advancing on the bad guys shooting at them was the quickest way to minimize the danger?  Just a no win situation.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »
I paused immediately following the shootout. I counted 30+ police officers with guns drawn, advancing on the UPS truck.

How many officers did I count checking on the citizens in the surrounding cars? Zero.

During the shootout, there were over 15 officers actually shooting. Others (of those 30+) were moving into position to shoot, as well.

Guess how many I saw trying to get the citizens in the cars out of harms way? Also zero. EVERY police officer was trying to get into position to shoot or shooting.

IF their number 1 goal was protecting citizens, at least some of them would have realized that firearm #27 focused on the exact same location is PROBABLY not helpful and I should give some attention to the surrounding area.
I'm not saying they couldn't have done anything better, however I don't expect them to handle a black swan event such as this like they were CAG guys or SEALs.  I think it is theoretically possible (although I am still withholding judgement) that they did as well as they could under the conditions and knowledge they were operating under.

I watched chopper video too but the one I saw didn't show many non-cop cars in frame by the time they had cleared the truck.  I'll agree that perhaps you would have done better if you'd been in command or on the scene.

No.
I know.
What about the possibility of breaking off the hot pursuit and just following the UPS truck with a helicopter? Keep it in view and follow at a distance until the vehicle can be isolated away from masses of civilians, or until the bad guys exit the vehicle.
Yeah, maybe that would have worked.  Or maybe the UPS guy would have ended up dead, maybe a family gets carjacked and killed, and then you get to complain about how their inaction led to more dead people just like it did in Parkland and it is proof they are cowards and don't care about people.

If the vehicles the cops were hiding behind had innocent people inside them, then the cops very much were using innocent bystanders as human shields. If the cops weren't hiding behind those vehicles, the bad guys would have no reason to be shooting at those vehicles. Full stop. By using those vehicles as "cover," the cops were directly endangering the occupants.
1. No.  That's not using a human shield.  Words mean things, and despite knowing better you're lying abut it because you want to be angry at cops.
2. Yes, police engaging from there might draw fire.  Or, police firing at the bad guy might suppress them and reduce their ability to fire in that direction.
3. Police being anywhere on a crowded street could draw fire toward an innocent person.  I imagine that there were innocent people literally everywhere around that truck so the police being anywhere increases someone's risk.  I don't believe (and I doubt anyone yelling about human shields really believes) that any of the cops were intentionally using innocent people as ablative meat shields.  Yes, they probably did increase the risk that a given innocent person might have been hit because they were crouching behind their engine block.  If the cops had the time to work out all the lines of sight and possible scenarios I doubt they would have planned the event exactly that way. 

cordex, I am not saying the cops are bad guys in all this, I just think their tactics could be better and it should be a big training opportunity.  My thoughts are all in hindsight.  The big question is was keeping their distance and waiting an option at all?  Or did the bad guys start shooting before they were closing in?  I thought they usually kept their distance in hostage situations but I don't know if those officers knew there was a hostage.
And I'm not saying they did everything perfectly.  Yes, I'm sure there were things they could have done better.  Maybe waiting would have been a better option.  Or maybe not.

I think using occupied cars for cover and shooting from those positions draws fire toward bystanders.
Yes but.  See above response.
 I would have liked to see some officers working on pulling people out and getting them clear.  It is a busy street so it was a sucky situation from the start.
It might have been a good idea, but I can't imagine trying to coordinate that on the fly in the moments before shots started, much less during the gunbattle.  It definitely was a sucky situation from the start.
 I realize these are not organized police platoon.  They are a bunch of singles and pairs coming together to catch these guys.  I am not sure who should be organizing things in a situation like that.

I also question whether that many officers should be firing since most of them can't see the occupants of the UPS truck.  How do you train for that when these situations are so rare?
It's likely that some of the cops shouldn't have been shooting and were simply firing because everyone else was firing.  If this was a kind of things cops faced regularly maybe they would come up with some sound tactical doctrine.  Maybe they would be able to somehow identify who had the best angle for lethal cover at any given moment and somehow communicate that those people prepare to shoot while others work to extract innocents.  Of course, uniforms could still draw fire and maybe cops pulling people out of vehicles would endanger them as well.
The only solution I could think of for cover is those bullet proof (resistant) riot shields I have seen.  That would allow them to approach with some protection and stay clear of cars.  Not a perfect solution.
Given time to set up, maybe that would help, although having played with a pistol-rated riot shield during SWAT training I can definitely agree they aren't a perfect solution.  Can't imagine the rifle-rated shields ... or having a pistol shield when you needed a rifle shield.  As you pointed out, a lot of these guys didn't even have time to get their rifles out.  Not sure that they would have had time to get out shields too in this particular case.

Following at a distance might have been a good solution.  Or, as I said before, it could have turned out badly, and they'd be blamed for that too.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 07:49:43 PM »
cordex, I don't know that I even disagree with anything you say, but bystanders got killed.  A hostage got killed.  So a training opportunity is in order.  Will the same officers do it differently next time?  I don't know.  Even a trained team may not have been able to pull off that confrontation without danger to bystanders. 

The only real solution I can think of is to keep their distance and maybe a couple guys with rifles take the shot if they leave the truck to try to find another vehicle.  Even that has the chance for bad things to happen.

Maybe we will get some more information on this to understand it better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2019, 07:51:40 PM »
I would also add that given the rounds fired and seeing how cops were coming in from every direction, this could have been a bit worse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 11:24:34 PM »
Too soon for humor?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 11:46:45 PM »

1. No.  That's not using a human shield.  Words mean things, and despite knowing better you're lying abut it because you want to be angry at cops.

I'm lying because I don't accept your analysis that the cops didn't really do anything wrong?

Yes, words mean things. When someone places something between himself and a shooter, he is using that something as a shield. If that something happens to contain human beings, then that person is using those humans as shields. Perhaps not directly, but the result is the same -- the bad guys' bullets have to go through the innocents in the vehicle to get to the cop hiding behind the vehicle.

I want to be angry at cops? You could not possibly be more wrong. Over the course of my lifetime I have had a number of friends who were police officers. Given my age and their ages, at this point I don't know any currently active police officers I would consider friends, but I do know a number of retired officers I consider friends. I don't want to be angry at cops, or at anybody else. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to call a stupid action stupid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2019, 05:16:45 AM »
I'm lying because I don't accept your analysis that the cops didn't really do anything wrong?

Yes, words mean things. When someone places something between himself and a shooter, he is using that something as a shield. If that something happens to contain human beings, then that person is using those humans as shields. Perhaps not directly, but the result is the same -- the bad guys' bullets have to go through the innocents in the vehicle to get to the cop hiding behind the vehicle.
You are lying because “human shields” does not mean what you keep implying it means and you are plenty smart enough to know better.  If a newspaper published a similarly inaccurate headline (that didn’t confirm your biases) it is a good bet we would see a thread complaining about it here.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2019, 05:49:33 AM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »
You are lying because “human shields” does not mean what you keep implying it means and you are plenty smart enough to know better.  If a newspaper published a similarly inaccurate headline (that didn’t confirm your biases) it is a good bet we would see a thread complaining about it here.

Apparently you do not understand what the verb "lie" means.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2019, 08:35:51 AM »

The robbers weren't firing on random cars. The cars (with real, actual people inside them) did not take fire until the police used them for cover.

The police actions put more people in danger.

And, as I noted, they simply were focused on protecting themselves and getting the hijackers. They simply didn't take into consideration members of the public. That is my problem with this.

Any random person likely would not have done better. I expect better from the people (supposedly) trained to confront threats to the public.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
"human shields" is a loaded term that implies it was done deliberately with forethought.  I think makattak stated it best.  The officers were focused on the bad guys and seemed to give little thought to the cars other than cover as they advanced on the truck.  Though you could make the case that advancing on the bad guys and taking them out quickly put fewer people in danger in the long run.  It is hard to judge based on one video clip.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »
[cough] concealment[/cough]

The police officers were using the cars as concealment.  Were the cars cover, it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Which brings up a question, since we've decided cops have to go paramilitary on occasion:  Who's got those smoke grenades that they always use at demonstrations.  Not CS, but smoke. Because THAT'S how you actually do that evolution of advancing on foot against a defensive position that has concealment from you and is surrounded by non-combatants.  You pop smoke, and advance under your own concealment until you have PID, then cap the *expletive deleted*ers.

Look, I've said before that the cops in America are getting to militaristic, but if we must have militaristic cops, can we at least get some decent battle drills going?  These guys act like the Afghan National Army when they take fire. It's embarrassing.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
Apparently you do not understand what the verb "lie" means.
You are intentionally attempting to convey something you know to be false.  Do you have a better word for that you'd rather I use?

The robbers weren't firing on random cars. The cars (with real, actual people inside them) did not take fire until the police used them for cover.

The police actions put more people in danger.

And, as I noted, they simply were focused on protecting themselves and getting the hijackers. They simply didn't take into consideration members of the public. That is my problem with this.

Any random person likely would not have done better. I expect better from the people (supposedly) trained to confront threats to the public.
If their priority was protecting themselves then they would not have advanced on the truck.  In doing so they put themselves at risk.
I would say that the armed robbers who took a hostage and (allegedly) started a gunbattle in the middle of a crowded street put people in danger, not the police.
Police actions regularly - and not necessarily wrongly - put uninvolved people in danger.  High speed chases put innocent people in danger, for instance.  The alternative - i.e. letting people go the minute they start to drive fast - also has potential dangers associated with it.
No, any random person would not have likely done better.  Nor any random gun owner.  Nor even any random member of this forum.  Keeping your head and making wise strategic choices on a two-way range with a thrown-together unit with limited comms and command structure is not as easy as you seem to think.  My personal experience is limited to situations that I knew I'd live through but I know I've made tactical mistakes and went tunnel vision in those kinds of scenarios.  Heck, a random person at the jewelry store failed to solve the problem before the cops ever got there.  It's likely there was at least one non-cop good guy with a gun near the shootout who didn't solve the problem.
Finally, this is not a scenario you can realistically expect anyone to prepare for 100%.

"human shields" is a loaded term that implies it was done deliberately with forethought.
As used in common parlance, human shields typically indicates intentionally placing innocent people around a likely target to foil an attack because of the knowledge that the attacking force would have qualms about hurting them.  If the cops had advanced behind the robbers' loved ones then that would be using human shields.
I think makattak stated it best.  The officers were focused on the bad guys and seemed to give little thought to the cars other than cover as they advanced on the truck.  Though you could make the case that advancing on the bad guys and taking them out quickly put fewer people in danger in the long run.  It is hard to judge based on one video clip.
Agreed.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
They had a helicopter, and officers from several different agencies, and the van almost certainly had GPS tracking- but they had to do the shooting in a MFing traffic jam???
This is pure incompetence, if not criminal negligence.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »
Are you sure that's the message you want to send?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2019, 02:31:30 PM »
Are you sure that's the message you want to send?

Is it going to offend the 'good cops?' If so, why aren't the good cops doing something about all of the F-ups in their departments?

Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »
As for being an innocent bystander in a sketchy situation I have 3 rules:  Sometimes fight.  Sometimes run.  Sometimes do nothing. :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »
You are intentionally attempting to convey something you know to be false.  Do you have a better word for that you'd rather I use?

No, you claim what I'm trying to convey is false. I don't know it's false. As far as I'm concerned, it's true. The fact that you don't agree doesn't make me a liar. (Nor does it make your version true.)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
As for being an innocent bystander in a sketchy situation I have 3 rules:  Sometimes fight.  Sometimes run.  Sometimes do nothing. :old:

You forgot number 4: Sometimes die.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2019, 07:15:43 AM »
They had a helicopter, and officers from several different agencies, and the van almost certainly had GPS tracking- but they had to do the shooting in a MFing traffic jam???
Maybe following from a distance would have been a better choice.  Or maybe it would have made the situation worse.  I don't know, and neither do you.

At the moment the report is that the bad guys started the shooting.  If accurate then the police were neither responsible for the traffic jam, nor the gun battle.  I do think it is funny how armed robbers taking a hostage and shooting it out with the cops becomes the cops fault.

This is pure incompetence, if not criminal negligence.
You base this analysis on what?  That in your imagination the scenario could have possibly played out better if they'd done something different?  That the good little robbers, attempted murderers, and hostage takers who were just trying to turn their life around would have just given up or casually driven out to a place that was safe to engage them if the cops had let them do whatever they wanted?  Again, maybe the cops could have done something better, but trying to lay this instance at their feet given what we know is pretty stupid.

Pure class brimic.  So do you in fact advocate killing police officers who are trying to stop an active shooter because the cops happen to be shooting from a position near you?

No, you claim what I'm trying to convey is false. I don't know it's false. As far as I'm concerned, it's true. The fact that you don't agree doesn't make me a liar. (Nor does it make your version true.)
You're claiming ignorance instead of malice?  Were you not trying to imply a deliberate placing of innocent people in the line of fire by the responding police?  If you and others had simply said that police increased the risk to the people whose cars they were shooting around then I'd have to agree, although I'd balance that by saying ending the threat quickly is probably more important to reduce risk.  However you decided that you wanted to use an emotionally charged term which implies deliberate use of innocent people to foil attack by people with qualms against harming those innocent people.  In other words, you were trying to - without any subtlety - cast the police as akin to terrorists and somehow put the armed robbers who had already tried to kill someone that day as good guys with qualms about harming innocent people.

And no, you are not even technically correct as the police were using vehicles - not the occupants - as concealment.  In the end it certainly could have drawn fire toward those occupants, but even standing out away from any car could draw fire toward innocent people behind the officers.

This situation sucked from the word go, but it was a situation of the robber's making, not the police.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »
Pure class brimic.  So do you in fact advocate killing police officers who are trying to stop an active shooter because the cops happen to be shooting from a position near you?

If my family is in the car and they are firing through my car, then yes. Police lives are not more important than mine or my family's. Suck it up buttercup.

Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2019, 08:04:45 AM »
If my family is in the car and they are firing through my car, then yes. Police lives are not more important than mine or my family's. Suck it up buttercup.
That is not what the picture you posted communicates.