Author Topic: What caliber for llama?  (Read 3659 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
What caliber for llama?
« on: January 15, 2009, 03:54:35 PM »
.30-06, apparently  :rolleyes:

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/01/15/news/state/55-llama.txt

Sorry, that llama sure looked like elk
Photo of hunting mistake becomes Web sensation
By BRETT FRENCH
Of The Gazette Staff

A New York hunter may be feeling a bit sheepish after mistaking a feral llama in Paradise Valley for a Rocky Mountain elk, but he apparently did not violate any laws.

Rusty Saunders of Fort Edward, N.Y., called a Fish, Wildlife and Parks warden in Livingston in November to turn himself in after shooting the llama, according to Mel Frost, FWP information officer in Bozeman.

Since FWP does not deal with livestock shootings, they immediately turned the investigation over to the Montana Department of Livestock.

After investigating, the Livestock Department turned the matter over to Park County authorities without issuing any citations. "We don't have any statute to prevent that kind of thing," said Steve Merritt, information officer for the Livestock Department in Helena.

A telephone call to the Park County sheriff was not immediately returned.

Photos that the Livestock Department took during its investigation showed the dark brown and black llama gutted and lying in the back of a red pickup truck. The photos included a shot of Saunders' notched 2008 elk tag, dated Nov. 18. Somehow, the photos ended up circulating through e-mails, trekking across the nation and even north of the border into Canada.

Under a subject heading of "hunting llamas in Big Sky Country," the e-mail parodied MasterCard's "priceless" advertising campaign"

".30-06 rifle with Leupold Scope - $650.

"Out of state license - $600.

"Gas to drive from New York - $700.

"Taking a trophy Montana llama - priceless."

The photos have ended up on blogs across the country, as well, generating derisive remarks from hunters.

It's not clear how Saunders realized his error, and it's not known what happened to the wild llama.

Messages left for Saunders on his home answering machine were not immediately returned.

Saunders is not the first person to mistake a llama for a game animal. On opening day of the 1999 hunting season, a 21-year-old Sun Prairie deer hunter shot a 300-pound llama on the Cascade Hutterite Colony near Fort Shaw, then gutted and tagged the animal. He didn't realize his mistake until he took it to a Great Falls meat processor, which turned him away.

The man turned himself in and the colony didn't press charges.

Montana's hunter safety education program emphasizes that hunters should always identify their target before pulling the trigger.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: What caliber for llama?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:02:28 PM »
I wonder what llama jerky tastes like?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
So, he gutted the llama before he figured out it wasn't an elk?  Not the fastest cookie in the drawer, is he?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:07:20 PM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »
Llama

Elk

Know the difference, it could save your life!
Look, tiny text!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
Not the first time this has happened.  The game processing place I go to has had a Llama brought in before with a deer tag on it.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
These are the kind of people I don't trust firearms with...
Look, tiny text!

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »
What I am having a hard time with is somebody going Elk hunting not knowing what an Elk looks like.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 06:32:07 PM »
Buck fever?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »
Why the heck did he gut it? Ha ha  :lol:

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 07:35:49 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how you mistake an overgrown sheep for an elk??

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »
At least he didn't shoot it with a llama. The police report would have been a lot more fun.

Manufacturer of firearm: llama

"You did this wrong. That's what he shot."

"Yes, it was."

"But what was it?"

"A llama."

"I know he shot a llama. But with what?"

"A llama."

"...I think you need some leave."

"What?"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »
At least he didn't shoot it with a llama. The police report would have been a lot more fun.

Manufacturer of firearm: llama

"You did this wrong. That's what he shot."

"Yes, it was."

"But what was it?"

"A llama."

"I know he shot a llama. But with what?"

"A llama."

"...I think you need some leave."

"What?"

Reminds me of the Llama Song...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
I had a hunting buddy draw down on a llama while elk hunting.

He wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack, either.  Did odd things while camping.  Poured bacon grease from breakfast right next to his tent in the middle of bear country.  Came with a 16 gallon tank, 150 miles away from the nearest gas station (using 1/3 of that), then run the car all night at idle for warmth... then complain that he was low on gas and could he have some from our spare tanks.  Sit in the A/C cooled car while we glassed the hills looking for game.

We don't hunt with him anymore.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 11:05:11 PM »
Redhawk, I think we may have a mutual acquaintance... Or maybe they're cousins...

Blog under construction

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:18 AM »
I think it was several years ago an airman that was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls shot a llama that was the flock protector at a nearby Hutterite colony.

Here it is:

Saunders is not the first person to mistake a llama for a game animal. On opening day of the 1999 hunting season, a 21-year-old Sun Prairie deer hunter shot a 300-pound llama on the Cascade Hutterite Colony near Fort Shaw, gutted and tagged the animal. He didn’t realize his mistake until he took it to a Great Falls meat processor, which turned him away.

The man turned himself in and the colony didn’t press charges.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2009/01/15/state/90st_090115_hunter.txt#

Thos pesky llamas are masters of disguise, kind of dumb though. You don't want to be looking like the aimal that is in season for hunting.  =|

bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 04:44:30 AM »
In the first story, the guy misidentified the species of his game, but at least he got some meat for the freezer.

The poor guy in the second story "got turned away by the meat processor".  =(

Here you go:

The Other, Other Burger - seasoned llama delivers a fresh taste for burgers!

1 pound ground llama
1 teaspoon pepper
1 case Yakima Honey Weis beer
Divide llama into two parts and shape into patties about 2 inches thick, handling meat as much as possible. Sprinkle both sides of patties with seasoned pepper and then dunk in 1 can of beer that you already put in a bowl. Grill over direct heat over hot fire 20 minutes per side, or until charred. Serve right away on buns with favorite condiments and glasses of beer.

But it is worrisome that some folks are out there with loaded guns.  Good thing he wasn't near my house- we have horses.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 06:22:08 AM »
A New York hunter....

Well.....now that explains everything....  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »
I think it was several years ago an airman that was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls shot a llama that was the flock protector at a nearby Hutterite colony.

Here it is:

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2009/01/15/state/90st_090115_hunter.txt#

Thos pesky llamas are masters of disguise, kind of dumb though. You don't want to be looking like the aimal that is in season for hunting.  =|

bob

That is exactly the story I was referring to.  I go to house of meats every year with my dead critters.  They have that article posted all over the inside of the office.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
"a new york hunter"       Well.....now that explains everything....  :laugh:

living in the catskill mountains (in new york), i resemble that remark........my personal bet is "a new york city hunter". unfortunatly we have had more than our share of domesticated animals (one great dane, more than one cow over the last 10 years or so ) being shot as we are only 3 hours from the city, and this place fills up during hunting season.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2