Author Topic: Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?  (Read 3649 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:12 PM »
So, long story short, I had to dig a trench today to put in some new drainage pipe from our downspout down onto a slope...   3" ABS, 15 or so feet.  No sweat...  Except as soon as I start digging, I run into compacted rock (the one freakin' spot on the whole property they did something right....   of course...) Then when I finally get my trench just about done, I run into a 4" ABS pipe 9 or so inches deep.   County has no record of what it is, of course, and it's too modern of a pipe for when the house was built...   So in a few days (tomorrow is my Monday, 4 12 hour days) I get to dig some more to try to figure out where in the [expletive deleted] the pipe goes, and where it starts....   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »
Don't do it.  You'll just open a portal to another dimension.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
Just drill a small hole in the pipe and see what comes out.  >:D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »
Don't do it.  You'll just open a portal to another dimension.

stay safe.

Cut it and plug both ends. You'll find out real soon where it comes from.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:00:45 AM »
Does it look like it comes from your house? 4" is kind of small for a sewer line.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »
No. Four inch is exactly right for a residential sewer line. Do you have a septic tank & leach field?
House to tank could be ABS. Tank to leach connector boxes is usually PVC.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »
We're on sewer, have been since 74, and the connection for that is on the other side of the house...

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
How far from the foundation wall? If you are installing a drain (roof) extension, maybe some previous owner put in some underground drainage to dry up a wet basement

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:29:36 PM »
I hate it when a little project turns into two more projects.  And each of those...
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »
did'nt you get the memo? "Nothing is ever easy".

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
If its only 9 inches underground you should be able to just use a small metal rod and keep probing through the dirt to see where is goes.
My guess is its either some other owners attempt at a drainage system or a piece of scrap pipe buried by the builders.
Not to long ago it was pretty common to bury all the trash on the job site.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 01:17:19 AM »
Well, it just keeps getting better...  Last night, heard a loud bang in the garage - looked out there, thought it was something had fallen over.....  Nope.. Torsion spring broke....

And of course, the garage is currently a disaster area - which means in order to replace the damn springs, I gotta make room at the front of the garage.....   Either without opening the door, or lifting the 140-160 lb door without benefit of the springs.

It just NEVER goes smooth.....

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:40 AM »
I feel your pain.

Just had a bad hailstorm. Smashed all my roof vents, beat the cr@p out of my shingles. (Q: Why did the builder use PLASTIC vents instead of metal, which would dent rather than break?  A: $5 vs $10)   

Roofers - locals as well as storm chasers from out of state - have been all over my neighborhood the past few days.

Insurance adjuster is coming today.

Oh, joy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:48 AM »
Well, it just keeps getting better...  Last night, heard a loud bang in the garage - looked out there, thought it was something had fallen over.....  Nope.. Torsion spring broke....

And of course, the garage is currently a disaster area - which means in order to replace the damn springs, I gotta make room at the front of the garage.....   Either without opening the door, or lifting the 140-160 lb door without benefit of the springs.

It just NEVER goes smooth.....
If you don't have some friends to help you lift the door the best be it to rig it with a come along to pull it open.
Also have 2 pairs of vice grips or some c clamps handy to latch onto the rail to keep it from falling back down.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
If a job doesn't need to be done over 3 times, it's not worth doing. :P [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »
If you don't have some friends to help you lift the door the best be it to rig it with a come along to pull it open.
Also have 2 pairs of vice grips or some c clamps handy to latch onto the rail to keep it from falling back down.
A little advice: last year the torsion spring broke on my garage door - for a relatively small amount (IIRC ~$50) I had the single spring system replaced with a dual spring system. Since both springs are unlikely to break at the same time, the second spring will slow the door's descent a bit if one spring breaks, or provide a significant boost if you manually have to lift the door with one spring broken.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »
 Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?

It's the PON Effect  --"Perversity Of Nature"

See, it turns out Einstein was wrong.  Nature is perverse.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bumd-Ea2e5Q
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 12:38:32 AM »
Re: torsion spring.  The long scar on the inside of my arm is a testament to hiring a professional to do the replacement work.  Trust me, is sooooo much easier to simply write the check, then then to put up with "I told you so." from both the Mrs and the professional.  While you arm is still wrapped in gauze.

Was your house built on an old farm field?  The ABS pipe might be old field tile.  If so, you could run your downspout into it.  Assuming of course it doesn't drain toward your house.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »
Well, $75 later, the garage door is fixed.  Which considering the cheapest I could find someone to do if for me was $250, I'll put that in the win column.....

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
So this newly discovered 4" pipe was it perforated?

At 9" deep I take it you don't live anywhere where there is a frost.

Uranus is a gas giant.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
If a job doesn't need to be done over 3 times, it's not worth doing. :P [popcorn]

Lol, I'm spoiled in that I live about 4 minutes from a Home Depot.  Every time I work on the house I end up there an average of 3 times.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »
So this newly discovered 4" pipe was it perforated?

At 9" deep I take it you don't live anywhere where there is a frost.

Haven't dug under it to determine if it's perf'd or not, but it's not corrugated...  And no, definitely not in a frost zone - rather the very wet Pacific NW....   

Probed the ground a little to see if I could follow where it goes - then got rained out, and since I'm on the tail end of a cold, retreated to the indoors where I'm now binge-watching How It's Made... :D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 07:05:53 PM »
Haven't dug under it to determine if it's perf'd or not, but it's not corrugated...  And no, definitely not in a frost zone - rather the very wet Pacific NW....   

Probed the ground a little to see if I could follow where it goes - then got rained out, and since I'm on the tail end of a cold, retreated to the indoors where I'm now binge-watching How It's Made... :D

If it was perforated, you would have seen the perforations all around the pipe.

Is it pointed to your garage or a transformer/utility box? Like someone may have run electrical or other types of wire through it?

Uranus is a gas giant.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
Actually, I saw some just the other day at Lowe's that was perforated just on the bottom.   (I've seen the one that's perforated all around too)  Pretty sure this isn't some conduit or anything like that as we checked for any easements with the county, and had locate out, and they didn't mark any electrical going onto our property.  What I probed so far roughly parallels the garage...  Will keep hunting tomorrow when it's dry.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
I had to replace a torsion spring last year.  I am very glad I just had a guy come do it.  Replaced the rollers and leveled the door also.  Done in less than an hour.  Would have taken me many hours.  Learned that the time I replaced my door opener. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge