Author Topic: sccy - cpx? j & g guns any opinions?  (Read 3631 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
sccy - cpx? j & g guns any opinions?
« on: May 29, 2017, 02:51:07 PM »
http://www.sccy.com/

so, I was looking at J&G because in my travels this week I saw a new kahr 380 at a gun store for 250, I thought it was a good price.
Then I thought - wouldn't a kel-tec 9 cost just as much - j and g don't seem to have them but they have these sccy guns I had never heard of - great prices but that always makes me suspicious
http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_search_result.php/keywords/xq%20OR%207-/categories_id/16/inc_subcat/1/sort/3a/page/3/stID/19
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: sccy - cpx? j & g guns any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:26:38 PM »
Isn't SCCY somehow related to Kel-Tec?  The founders used to work there, or the SCCY pistol is a version of the Kel-Tec pistols, or something like that?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
Isn't SCCY somehow related to Kel-Tec?  The founders used to work there, or the SCCY pistol is a version of the Kel-Tec pistols, or something like that?

that would make sense, they seem to look like keltec but with more metal.
I had never heard of them.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
The founders used to work there, or the SCCY pistol is a version of the Kel-Tec pistols, or something like that?

Yep and yep.

The SCCY is a clone of the Kel Tec P-11.  Double stack double action only 9mm.  I used to (when they first came out) hear bad things about them.  Lately I hear good things.  I dunno, I only handled one once.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »
I handled an SCCY at my stepson's father-in-law's house this afternoon.  It seemed like a well put together handgun, and he likes it really well.  We didn't have a chance to shoot it, however.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:07:09 AM »
Bought a couple Turk Mausers at J&G when I was in college.  Went to Embry-Riddle in Prescott.  Been 17-18 years since I've darkened their door, but it was a really good shop back then.  Very tolerant of a total newbie, and willing to explain what I needed to do in terms of cleaning out the cosmoline, and any potential legal issues (had to get an AZ state ID card).
Formerly sumpnz

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:19 AM »
I'd save my money and get a gun with a known performance history.

I know "get a Glock" is a meme these days, but you could do a lot worse.  Same goes for a used S&W revolver.  S&W M&P pistols are going for cheap these days as well and they're considered to be part of that "Gun, Qty 1" ideal.  Even a used Ruger plastic 9 is not a bad choice given Ruger's support.  I've seen LC9s for right at $200 in the used case.

Or, buy the cheap gun because it's...cheap.  We'll get the popcorn ready for when you can't find holsters, spare parts, or for when proves to be the POS it appears to be.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »
I believe I have seen those, but I don't know anyone that has fired one.  I heard they were decent pistols for the money (assuming I am thinking of the same gun) but that was just the sales guy behind the counter talking.  He hadn't fired it either.  I think I heard it mentioned as a serviceable pistol on youtube.  You might check for review videos.

Maybe a little more are the Canik TP9 pistols.  I have a Canik TP9SF.  It is an excellent pistol for the money.  I paid under $350.  The trigger is even decent.  Only odd thing on the trigger, it is wider than most triggers which is an interesting change.  Instead of pulling to the right when I get sloppy, I tend to pull to the left. 

I heard Bersa makes a double stack Thunder 380 with a 15 rounds mag now.  I have been thinking of getting one to play with.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
You can get a Beretta 92 for $289 at Southern Ohio Gun.

Guns are cheap right now.  Stick with something mainstream

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
yeah, I am gunless and quite poor at the moment so I need something cheap - I was thinking ruger too, but I like seeing new cheap guns - well ... new to me .

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
You can get a Beretta 92 for $289 at Southern Ohio Gun.

Guns are cheap right now.  Stick with something mainstream

A guy could do a lot worse. If money were tight and I needed a gun I could depend on, I would lean towards a used gun (from reputable GS or known private party) that has shown historical dependability over a new anything of unknown quality.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
I know two folks that bought them back in the "Scare" days.  One hasn't shot his, the other put 30 rounds through it.  Both like the gun.  Which kinda sums up Sccy's rep.  People feel they're OK guns, but those same people never really shoot them, so who knows?

When PSA has M&P Shield's on sale for $214 (after rebate) I'm not sure I could convince myself to take a leap on an unknown gun for "serious" purposes.  Something cool as a range toy? Sure.  But the Sccy doesn't really fill that role.

I do like JG Sales. I've bought a couple of surplus guns from them off the web, with good results.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
I know two folks that bought them back in the "Scare" days.  One hasn't shot his, the other put 30 rounds through it.  Both like the gun.  Which kinda sums up Sccy's rep.  People feel they're OK guns, but those same people never really shoot them, so who knows?

A year ago, I bought a used Glock 19, my first Glock ever.  Since then, I've put roughly 1k rounds through it.  I haven't experienced a single malfunction.  I can walk into any gunstore in the nation and buy holsters, accessories, magazines, etc.  If I go to sell it, chances are high I'll get nearly all of my initial investment plus a majority of the costs of any magazines or holsters I include in the sale.  The net cost to me will not be high.

Can someone say that about 3rd tier guns?  Sure, some guns cost more initially, but from a TCO and reliability perspective, they're quite inexpensive.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »
Being able to find accessories and parts is important.  J&G sales was the only place I found with Canik magazines when I searched. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 05:24:14 PM »
Glock 19, ...  I haven't experienced a single malfunction.  I can walk into any gunstore in the nation and buy holsters, accessories, magazines, etc.  If I go to sell it, chances are high I'll get nearly all of my initial investment plus a majority of the costs of any magazines or holsters I include in the sale.  The net cost to me will not be high.

Can someone say that about 3rd tier guns?  Sure, some guns cost more initially, but from a TCO and reliability perspective, they're quite inexpensive.

Being able to find accessories and parts is important.  J&G sales was the only place I found with Canik magazines when I searched. 

I concurr.

I haven't found a real easy way yet to search JG Sales' page (all handguns, price <= $x).  I haven't found anything under $300 I'm real enthused about.

The real Kel Tec P11 is cheaper than the SCCY.

Bersa has some 380s under $300.  Again, not real enthused.

Hmmm.  Here's a possibility: Ruger® P89 Semi Auto Pistol, 9mm, 4.5'' Barrel, Two-Tone Finish, Fair Condition, Used LE Trade, $200.  Extra mags (comes with one), at $35.  <scowl>

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
I own a SCCY. Love it. Like the no safety aspect. Put 40 rounds through it so far. No hiccups. Thought accuracy would be an issue with the long pull. Adjusted pretty quickly. Slow fire and rapid fire all 40 rounds were inside of 6 inches at 7 yards. Not bad for not shooting a gun in about a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 10:55:49 PM »
I work in a LGS. We sold several and had one problem; fat head customer screwed up the safety (brain surgeon?). SCCY fixed it. several owners have reported very good (for them) accuracy, no bobbles. FWIW
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
I saw that S&W SD9VE pistols could be had for $275, if a full-sized pistol is what you're looking for. They're supposedly great guns.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »
I saw that S&W SD9VE pistols could be had for $275, if a full-sized pistol is what you're looking for. They're supposedly great guns.
I saw an email earlier today from PSA.  Ruger American 9mm for $249.99.  Not sure what that would be after shipping and transfer.  Those always felt odd to me when I handled them at shows.  

I am curious if we will see other pistols with prices like this in coming weeks.  There are a few pistols I might buy if the price were right.