Author Topic: So, this guy's neighbor's half-cousin's housekeeper thinks I'm a sociopath  (Read 4538 times)

HForrest

Re: So, this guy's neighbor's half-cousin's housekeeper thinks I'm a sociopath
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 11:55:49 PM »
I appreciate everyone's replies. While I'm far from "normal", I definitely try to keep a relatively low profile. I don't dress in black and mope around 'cuz my life sucks and my parents didn't give me money to buy that Sony PSP and everyone has a Sony PSP and it's not fair. Nope, I try to dress and act reasonably in-line. Maybe not "trendy" or "snappy" (although I am working on the snappification part).

Thanks for the advice, Jack. You're definitely right- I learned long ago to keep quiet about my firearms interest... and aside from moving to the city (egggh... San Fran's nice, but I couldn't live there), your other suggestions are worth following too.

Fistful: Winston and Sindawe both met me, and they seem to think I'm fine. We should go get lunch or somethin' sometime so I can prove how un-sociopathic I am. I know a great place in this irrigation ditch off a Forest Service road...

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 02:53:58 AM »
Normal?
Normal sucks.
Come home everyday and watch American Idol the "Discovery" channel's "YOUR CLOTHES SUCK" shows, the cooking channels (eh, not so bad), and then bad reality shows and soap operas.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 05:02:08 AM »
Fistful: Winston and Sindawe both met me, and they seem to think I'm fine. We should go get lunch or somethin' sometime so I can prove how un-sociopathic I am. I know a great place in this irrigation ditch off a Forest Service road...

Well, they're a little questionable themselves.  Which road was it?  Hey, wait a minute.   angry
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 08:08:25 AM »
New TV show: Combat-Wombat Makeover!

Until you get firmly ensconsed on a job where they don't care that you're a shooter, do not wear BDUs or 511s to work.

Don't shop at the gap, or old navy, or the latest trendshop... Think Orvis or LL-Bean for your casual stuff, and think simple, and not too colorful/this year's trend. This stuff will last you for YEARS, not weeks or months (I swear, I think some people view clothing as disposable "accessories.")

Buy your business attire at better stores. Brooks Brothers is stodgy. But it works. Take a look at their stuff. Then hit a bargain suit chain, and see what they've got that's like it. You DO NOT want the latest style and fashion here either. If it looks like it belongs on a franco-italian pimp, that's a bad thing. If you do this right, it'll last you for years.

For shirts, avoid the silly collar styles - they go out of style. You want what you could have seen 20, 40, 60 years ago... And a nice white patternless HEAVY cotton shirt will go with anything. Get real cotton, and learn how to use an iron. If you're doing business casual, Levi's Dockers rule.

Get two _good_ pairs of leather dress shoes. When you break a few hundred dollars down over 10 years (or more...), it doesn't seem that bad.

When you have the chance, pick up a simple tux and some inexpensive but nice black dress shoes (surplus will work for them...). It'll come in handy.

You have to LOOK the part to GET the part.

Blog under construction

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 08:44:29 AM »
Basically, just wear clean clothes that fit. And use a nice smelling deodorant/aftershave/cologne.

That's all there is to it.

Well, they're a little questionable themselves

WHATEVER fistful! At least we're not moral absolutists!   cheesy
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

HForrest

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 10:17:37 AM »
Until you get firmly ensconsed on a job where they don't care that you're a shooter, do not wear BDUs or 511s to work.
Oh, come on... khaki 5.11s hardly stand out at all. I've yet to find other pants that are as durable, comfortable, versatile, and utilitarian.

Don't shop at the gap, or old navy, or the latest trendshop... Think Orvis or LL-Bean for your casual stuff, and think simple, and not too colorful/this year's trend. This stuff will last you for YEARS, not weeks or months (I swear, I think some people view clothing as disposable "accessories.")
Yup, that's the best way. I've never been in an Old Navy, and I think I went into a Gap once about eight years ago.

If it looks like it belongs on a franco-italian pimp, that's a bad thing.
Well, that's where you and I disagree. undecided

smiley

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »
or you could become a chef  they won't care if you are a sociopath  or pschopath for that matter.  in fact they are considered career assets

Caimlas

• BoiledFrog.US Forums
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »
Dress snappy. Observe trends. Firm handshake, ask how they're doing, listen, ask questions. Don't talk about yourself that much. Don't complain, show up on time. These habits will open many, many doors.

Depending on who you are, socially (in terms of social group/interests and degree of quietness) people will assume you're a psychopath. I was very mild-mannered my freshman and sophmore years of high school, but I was getting tired of teachers disciplining me for no apparent reason just to get me out of their classes. So, I started acting a bit 'crazy' and generally goofy, and jr/sr years everything worked out fine. I was a blip undetected by radar, and nobody really noticed me. weird, but it's the truth.

My observation is that if you're not a little rebelious these days, people will look at you funny. They think something is wrong with you - as indicated by the Columbine shooters both being good students and never getting in trouble, in part. They ignore the fact that neither kid had a good relationship with his parents, which was the whole problem to begin with.