Author Topic: I don't want my son picking tomatoes  (Read 4544 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: I don't want my son picking tomatoes
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
But can you imagine what kind of bureaucracy would be needed to expel the 20 million immigrants here now?  Can you imagine how many ways our rights would be trampled in the process?  As plans go, this one's a loser.

Our rights are already trampled in a number of ways. Biometric IDs is just one of them new ones.

No bureaucracy, if done right. They will deport themselves under the right conditions. Enforcement and attrition, heavy fines, confiscation of property, hard jailtime for coyotes, militarized borders. These are relatively small measures that no party can oppose for long without losing a lot of credibility, no matter how much they hate them. All it takes is a bit of leadership and sustained public debate.

I say that Bush/Roves plan is the most sensible mainstream plan I've heard. 

Except it will not work because it is not meant to and because it will not be implemented in full. Instead, only the parts that are wanted will be - guestworker program and Biometric IDs FOR EVERYONE.

valencia

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »
I think that isn't quite what Karl meant.  Of course no one wants their kids to make careers of harvesting tomatoes.

why not? i think farming is an important trade.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »
why not? i think farming is an important trade.

It is. But it seems to me the bigwigs can't appreciate it.

Somebody's got to manage the crops and somebody's got to plant and harvest. Sometimes they're the same people and sometimes not.

I recall this one bumper sticker that said "IF YOU'RE GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT FARMERS, DON'T TALK WITH YOUR MOUTH FULL".

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 04:38:22 PM »
Not this sh*t again. angry

I dub this your catchphrase.
All superheroes/villains need a catchphrase.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 05:08:03 PM »
mbs357, I think you're right. grin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 06:04:15 PM »
Damn.

I'm planting a garden this spring, and I was going to have several tomato plants in there.

We were looking forward to picking tomatoes, including my wife and stepsons.  Fertilizing with horse manure, not so much...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
[robot voice]  Gewehr, you are too skilled.  Step away from the tomatoes.  It is not your duty.  Wait for the dumb foreigners.  They will do it for you.  It will only cost you $17/hr per picker.  That is a good deal for you, because you are smart.  You do not need to waste your energy on such menial tasks.  Sit still and think like the other smart people.  That is your place. [/robot voice]

laugh
For entertainment purposes only.