Author Topic: Going to Evansville Indiana...  (Read 5203 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Going to Evansville Indiana...
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:02:39 AM »
 March 5-9 for training on them fancy heat pumps. Anything I should know about Evansville? Best resturants? Who's taking me shooting while I'm there?

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Going to Evansville Indiana...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
I can't remember the local beer in Evansville but we used to get it here all the time.  Was that Wiedeman's?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:04:12 AM »
Do they still serve deep-fried cow brain sandwiches in Evansville?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 11:55:01 AM »
While driving from St. Louis to Knob Creek, we refer to that area of the country as "Radio-Free-Indiana."

You're gonna get plenty of studying in...

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »
Fried brain sandwiches and no radio...I'm loving this place already.   rolleyes 

laugh

Rumor has it it's dry too?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »
"Was that Wiedeman's?"

"Weedys" is big regional beer, but I think it's made it in Wisconsin.  They used to make Sterling in Evansville...but that was a long time ago, not sure if it's still there or not. I'm sure you can find something to do there, it's a fairly decent sized town.   

280plus

• friend

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »
Hi, 280, I have family in Evansville and just east of there.

Dry?  Who told you that nonsense? rolleyes police  State law sez you cannot buy beer in grocery stores or booze on Sunday (unless in a restraurant).

Radio free?  I don't understand, whatever you want you can get in Evansville.  When I'm down there I listen to Bob & Tom on 103.1 FM.  Do you want jazz, classical, C&W, what?

For something different food wise, you may try Chelsea's and have the ostrich steak.  Mmmm, ostrich.  What are you looking for?  Indian?  Japanese?  Chinese?  Steak?  What?

Evansville has several micro brews and has many good pubs.

As well, there are several shooting ranges and gun stores both in Evansville and across the river in Owensboro, Ol' Kentuc.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 02:57:57 AM »
You may want to check out Turoni's for Pizza and beer, Elliott's for steak (including bison), Cork N Cleaver (seafood and steak) and the Tumbleweed Southwest Grill.

Or, you can go kill your own if you want to drive a county or two! grin  http://www.legendaryplaces.org/buffalorun/default.htm

Evansville info:  http://www.evansvillechamber.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evansville,_Indiana
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 06:55:42 AM »
Thanks El T,

I'll takes notes on all that and see where I end up. A good steak or trying some ostrich sound pretty good to me.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 07:05:34 AM »
Mmmmm...  Cork N Cleaver...

<drool>

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 10:37:23 AM »
Headless,
That avatar scares me.  Even the Kerry one was better.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 11:06:57 AM »
280, so, I'm curious, who told you Evansville was dry???

Is there an Evansville in the South that someone was confusing TN or KY with IN?  Or, was someone having fun?

I love ostrich steaks.  Good meat and their hide makes wonderful holsters and slings. cool

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »
One of the guys that's going with me. He said he thought it was dry years ago but wasn't sure if it still was. I'm not much of a boozer these days so it wouldn't really matter. It's nice to know I CAN go to the hotel lounge and have a couple should I feel like it though. We used to have TWO dry towns here in CT but one just recently went wet. The other is still dry.

I been itchin' to try some ostrich so this may be my chance. I've had bison, it's ok, nothing to write home to mom about I thought. Any of those gun shops rent guns? For some reason I can't bring mine.  rolleyes

grin

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 11:20:54 AM »
280, don't like bison???  Too bad, when I do have red meat every other blue moon, I love bison.  It's low in fat, but only slightly lower cholestrol.

We have an abundance of both elk, bison and ostrich farms here so you should be able to order a steak or two.

Evansville dry?  When was that?  Prohibition here was 1917 to 1933 (and a complete and utter disaster, completely ignored--my own greatgrandfather ran applejack to Terre Haute and Indy).  I am not aware of any dry towns in Indiana.

Evansville retains a heavy Southern German influence (my WASP family is a minority there) and cannot imagine Carrie Nation having much traction down there.

Why can't you bring your guns?  Indiana recognizes the carry licenses of all 50 state and all foreign countries.  I will check on rentals in E-ville.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
It's not that I didn't like it, I just wasn't bowled over by it.

Really on the guns? I thought us CT folk couldn't bring our guns anywhere, except to Vermont and Alaska of course. I'll check, but then it opens up another big can of worms flying with the thing(s). They already want me there THREE hours before my flight, I'll bet I need to tack on another two just to check my gun in with my luggage. I used to like flying...  rolleyes

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 11:45:46 AM »
Sure, this is Indiana, why would anyone can if you are strapped or not.  Everyone else is.

Wait, are you getting your gun law advice from Boston T. Party or something?  He complete misstated our gun laws (I just finished reading his "Gun Bible" [which I enjoyed for the most part]).  We should be in the top 5 using his methodology instead we are like number 20 or something.  Typical.  Good part is that the Brady Bunch hyperventilates over Texas and Florida and leaves us alone.

Anywho, look at Indiana Code 35-47-2-21(b).  If you have a license to carry from CT, you can carry according to the terms of that license here.

Remember my thread from THR!!!  Check your range bag before you go or you'll have quality time with TSA!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 11:46:38 AM »
By golly, yer right! Indiana recognizes all state firearms permits. There's a few more out there too. Still, I have to see how much of a hassle it'll be to fly with it. Already I'll need a bag for the gun and another for the ammo. I only wanted to carry one bag and no carryon. Sigh...

I'm starting to like Indiana more and more though.  grin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »
With my luck they'll catch me with an empty .22 shell in my pants cuff or stuck to the bottom of my shoe and lock down the airport.  cheesy