Author Topic: Why are we sitting here watching Obama socialize the US?  (Read 8599 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Why are we sitting here watching Obama socialize the US?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »
That is always the problem.  There will be alternatives to Obama.  BUT, I can guarantee you none of them will be perfect in your eyes.  Will you support them anyway or will you say they aren't perfectly in line with my views so I am sitting this one out?  

People on all sides do this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
Well, "our side" did it this past year, and the other side didn't.  I don't want us to develop our own cult of personality (unless it's my personality), but whoever we get behind, we'll need to overlook a few flaws. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »
Well, "our side" did it this past year, and the other side didn't.  I don't want us to develop our own cult of personality (unless it's my personality), but whoever we get behind, we'll need to overlook a few flaws. 

Of course, when someone who could actually make a difference comes along, like Palin, the Stupid Party worries more about whether she's on the neocon message, and destroys her if she isn't.

So we get the same bunch of coconuts rolling around for the liberals to kick with glee.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
Or people hyperventilate over his thoughts on origins. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »

Oh, I was saying this for ages. The problem is, that cuts both ways.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
I think much of the American populace is in some form of shock, sometimes self-induced.  The hard realities, though, both political and economic, will be setting in this year and next.  Then we will see who cares enough to get militant in their opposition.

The real danger is that the answer to the leftist Democrat's "Mao" is the ultra-right equivalent.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »
Extreme right wing does not necessarily mean a dictatorship.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »
Or people hyperventilate over his thoughts on origins. 

Legislating religion and denial of science into classrooms with my taxpayer money, indoctrinating the entire next generation to be anti-science as he is...is not a minor issue.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »
And we're back to square one. 

It is an utter non-issue, if the man is going to be President.  No president is going to be able to impose a creationist or ID curriculum on schools. 

The point is, you are objecting to Jindal just because his stance on origins bothers you.  And a bunch of other people will dislike your candidate because he doesn't like homosexual marriage.  We're not getting anywhere. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:45:02 PM by Mr. Tactical pants »

lone_gunman

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »
There is no reason why mysticism, creationism, intelligent design, or the pseudo-science of Darwinism need to be discussed in this thread.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »
Who the hell are you two talking about; Huckabee? My dad voted for him in the primaries. He actually thinks a theocracy would not be a bad thing.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
There is no reason why mysticism, creationism, intelligent design, or the pseudo-science of Darwinism need to be discussed in this thread.

Pseudo-science? Could you start a new thread or give me a link?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 02:46:43 PM »
We're talking about this, because it matters to people.  They're the kinds of things on which we must agree to disagree, unless we want to live in a Democrat-controlled nation for the foreseeable future.  This is the answer to your question.  This is why no one has risen up to lead.  Because we won't agree on who that should be. 

Of course, it's also true that a strong enough leader will overcome some of this squabbling, simply because people will respond to his leadership. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »
We're talking about this, because it matters to people.  They're the kinds of things on which we must agree to disagree, unless we want to live in a Democrat-controlled nation for the foreseeable future.  This is the answer to your question.  This is why no one has risen up to lead.  Because we won't agree on who that should be. 

Of course, it's also true that a strong enough leader will overcome some of this squabbling, simply because people will respond to his leadership. 

Here's an idea.

Go back to what Goldwater wrote about. A POLITICAL candidate. Not one who wishes to mandate beliefs of any sort. Laws. Just laws. Small government. Procedural government stuff.

Nothing else.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »
You're still not getting it.  You sound just like those third-party Wookies you're always downing.  You're not going to find the perfect candidate. 

Secondly, laws ARE beliefs mandated.  A president that's only interested in "procedure" is not going to defend your gun rights.  Or anything else. 

Besides, did we ever find any evidence that Jindal did any of this stuff you're talking about?  I haven't seen it yet.  I abandoned that other thread about Jindal, after people starting spazzing, so maybe I missed it. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »
Don't worry, you didn't miss anything in the other thread.  Nobody presented any evidence that Jindal did any of the stuff Maned spazzed about.

lone_gunman

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
Pseudo-science? Could you start a new thread or give me a link?

I tell you what.  If you can name a few documented cases, where one species of multi-cellular organism that have evolved into another organism, we can have this discussion.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 04:25:34 PM »
Sweet baby Buddah, enough already.  A bunch of you need to go out and do something calming.  Go to the range and burn some ammo or something.  Jimminy H Cricket.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”