Author Topic: FORMERLY Great Britain is more insane than I thought  (Read 10808 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
FORMERLY Great Britain is more insane than I thought
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »
Apparently, criminals safety is more important than a terminally ill woman's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380753/Farmers-fury-gipsy-death-threats-999-results-legally-held-guns-confiscated-case-retaliates.html

Apparently doing anything other than calling the police when people are trespassing and destroying your property constitutes being "aggressive."

I thought nothing (f)Great Britain did could shock me. I'm still in awe.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: FORMERLY Great Britain is more insane than I thought
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
The patients are running the asylum. It makes me wonder if their typically polite demeanor is the only thing that has held up a violent insurrection at this point.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:51:57 PM »
This is a cultural disease, probably terminal.  I suspect it may be a form of cultural PTSD after two world wars cut the heart out of the nation (and seriously depleted its DNA).
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
It sounds very much to me as if the police were "on the take" and in cahoots with the "travelers." (In fGB, is't "Traveler" a PC euphemism for "Gypsy?"

If you think THIS is bad, read this story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42779407/ns/world_news-europe/

A musician was arrested - ARRESTED! - for singing the old hit song, "Kung Fu Fighting."  Not for copyright violation, but because an Oriental man & his mother who were walking by were offended, and that they were "subjected to racial abuse" because of the song.  :facepalm:

You just can't make up stuff this crazy . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
Anyway, not to worry, they'll have a new young King soon enough and all will be well.  Oh no, wait, that's the United States...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
So they told her she should have calmly backed away and called the police to have the travelers removed. The part that floored me was the police went to the "camp" (her neighbors property if I understand it correctly) that night and the next day and THE TRAVELERS WERE STILL THERE!  Even the police are reduced to asking politely to see if a criminal will comply with the law?  Am I even reading this right?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »
Don't forget that "the chainsaw was of no consequence," I guess it's only a threat against life if you own shotgun that is left in the house locked in a cabinet and is never made mention of during the whole incident.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
So they told her she should have calmly backed away and called the police to have the travelers removed. The part that floored me was the police went to the "camp" (her neighbors property if I understand it correctly) that night and the next day and THE TRAVELERS WERE STILL THERE!  Even the police are reduced to asking politely to see if a criminal will comply with the law?  Am I even reading this right?

You would be correct.  The land is owned by the local .gov.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »
I've given up worrying or obsessing about them.  When (not IF) they are invaded/overrun by whomever there is no chance that our (USA) government will even think about mounting a third rescue effort.

Should those that are in power over here want, for some absurd reason, want to take over control over there, we can just launch a whole flock of missiles at the place.  No need to even consider using the remnants as an emergency landing field.

Sadly the citizenry/subjects will not even stand up for themselves.  Yes, they rightously moan and bewhine their fate since 1996, but nobody seems to be willing to actually do anything about it besides whinging.

They don't want to/will not do anything for themselves?  Then I say "Screw them!"

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
Yeah, if it gets any worse then off duty cops will be rushing into people's houses and shooting them just for carrying an unloaded gun across their own yard  ;/

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »
I wonder how long until some Brits just forget calling the cops and go S3......shoot, shovel, and shut up.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
I wonder how long until some Brits just forget calling the cops and go S3......shoot, shovel, and shut up.....

Presuming they are being successful with the third S, how would you know they aren't?

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
Well, I think a more important issue was posted within the article.  If you thought the trespassers and thieves were bad...

"More...
The 'persistent' randy kangaroo terrorising women in small Australian town"
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
t sounds very much to me as if the police were "on the take" and in cahoots with the "travelers." (In fGB, is't "Traveler" a PC euphemism for "Gypsy?"

Thread drift...gypsys/travelers (it's what they are called over here in the States, too) are a problem in my area. Not quite as bad as methheads...but the Gypsys near Edgefield/Aiken SC keep "getting gyped" a relevant euphemism (and not to mention they are creepy people)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:49:10 PM »
So,

Terminally ill woman (noting left to lose?)
Severely abused by the system
payback?

I may be a bit of an anachronism but I will have justice, one way or another.
And being an atheist, I don't rely on back-up for that vengance stuff.
If I was to a point whre I had nothing left to lose I might be of the mind to leave a message.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »
. . . If I was to a point whre I had nothing left to lose I might be of the mind to leave a message.
(more thread drift) That might be one reason that nobody wants to touch Social Security benefits . . . there are a LOT of oldsters who are still pretty spry and NOT bedridden, and if fed.gov curtails the benefits they were promised for 40+ years of work, they might decide Federal prison is better than living in a cardboard box or under a bridge in their twilight years . . .

I think there actually was some debate on that very topic a few years ago when the courts went after a farmer who shot a yob after the latter broke into his home and attacked him with a club or knife of some sort; people pointed out that he would've been no worse off if he'd simply thrown the dead yob in the boot of his car and dumped him out in the moors . . . even if (a big IF) he got caught.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 09:00:43 AM »
So,

Terminally ill woman (noting left to lose?)
Severely abused by the system
payback?

I may be a bit of an anachronism but I will have justice, one way or another.
If I was to a point whre I had nothing left to lose I might be of the mind to leave a message.

The response to that will be the state deciding that it can't have people with nothing to lose running about on the loose.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
The response to that will be the state deciding that it can't have people with nothing to lose running about on the loose.

And they will know who those people are since they provide all the healthcare.

Hey, why not kill (pun intended) two birds with one stone? Terminal diagnosis = put you to sleep (and we'll save money for the IMPORTANT stuff! Like welfare!)

(Note: I don't actually think this will happen. This is hyperbole.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »

<gigglesnort>

Heh.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
Thread drift...gypsys/travelers (it's what they are called over here in the States, too) are a problem in my area. Not quite as bad as methheads...but the Gypsys near Edgefield/Aiken SC keep "getting gyped" a relevant euphemism (and not to mention they are creepy people)

Even more thread drift, why is it acceptable in the US to say "I got Gyped", but you aren't supposed to say "I got Jewed"? Always wondered....

"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
Jews have better PR.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
Jews have better PR.
Jews also don't come and do a shoddy, unasked-for asphalting job on your driveway while you're on vacation and then expect to be paid for it (happened here).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 06:44:53 AM »
Jews also don't come and do a shoddy, unasked-for asphalting job on your driveway while you're on vacation and then expect to be paid for it (happened here).

"Irish travelers" they are commonly called in the US and they may or may not have any Irish or Gypsy in their dna. They are common in Texas, but they are much less agressive, as some "Wild eyed southern boy" with Irish or Romanian or Black or English or Scots blood is a lot likelier to light their butt up with a .30 or .45 caliber piece of lead.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »
Similar gypsy groups up here in Ohio come around to farms in late summer offering to paint the barns and other buildings, then use paint that is greatly diluted and sprayed on with a paint gun.  Usually, the paint will last until the first hard rain.  they tend to focus on older farmers who may not know better, and pay much more than they should.

For a while, they were using gasoline to thin the paint.  With gas prices as high as they are now, I wonder if they'll find something else to use.....
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
"Irish travelers" they are commonly called in the US and they may or may not have any Irish or Gypsy in their dna. They are common in Texas, but they are much less agressive, as some "Wild eyed southern boy" with Irish or Romanian or Black or English or Scots blood is a lot likelier to light their butt up with a .30 or .45 caliber piece of lead.
Where have you seen these people? 

You don't want to mess with private property in Texas.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge