Author Topic: FORMERLY Great Britain is more insane than I thought  (Read 10808 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: FORMERLY Great Britain is more insane than I thought
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
Plenty of gypsies in Texas.  As has been stated, their methods moderate a bit to deal with the real increased risk in the face of gypped Texans.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
Jews also don't come and do a shoddy, unasked-for asphalting job on your driveway while you're on vacation and then expect to be paid for it (happened here).
In TX, they'd be far more likely to face charges of vandalism than to get paid.

Similar gypsy groups up here in Ohio come around to farms in late summer offering to paint the barns and other buildings, then use paint that is greatly diluted and sprayed on with a paint gun.  Usually, the paint will last until the first hard rain.  they tend to focus on older farmers who may not know better, and pay much more than they should.
We have crooks like these, too . . . don't know that they're actual gypsies. Usually they "represent" a roofing business, and tend to show up after news of a hailstorm in the area. They "offer" to check out your roof for free . . . happened to me once and I told him - in no uncertain terms - as they were preparing to climb up on my roof that if he and his buddy didn't put their ladder back on their truck and leave under their own power, the police would be hauling them off in handcuffs within 5 minutes. (Small, quiet suburb - we get a pretty good response.) 

They left.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
Near White Settlement is the group that has gotten the most news ink. I haven't had any personal dealings with them, although I have married two Irish women: D
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »
Not much problem with Gypsies here....the Mexicans run 'em off....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »
For poor gypsies they sure got some nice RVs  ;/

Now if they were in a horse drawn tinkers wagon, I might let them chop a little wood with an ax  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
The gypsies near my area that I mentioned earlier are involved in all sorts of criminal enterprises other than shoddy contracting...

As far as the contracting goes, they once scammed an entire town by "fixing" the courthouse's leaky antique copper roof. The fix worked for a while and it seemed that they had done a marvelous job. Until quite a time later...the cielings started leaking everywhere.

What the gypsies had done was place a bunch of plastic buckets in the "attic" part of the courthouse to catch the water. And then made off like a bandit with the payment.

Other criminal activities...

They produce counterfeit money. Then they'll get the bills changed into coins and then drop the coins into the fuel tanks of their vehicles and recover the money later. They'll typically get stopped by the police because whoever changed the money for them got a good description. And then the cops let them go because, viola, there is no money on their persons or in the cab of the vehicle.

Vehicle scams...when it's time to get a new vehicle, Some of them will distract the salesman and the other(s) will take a fork or pocketknife and scratch up the paint on a new car and browbeat the salesman into giving them a discount due to the damage. When it's time to get rid of the old one, they burn it on a remote road and collect the insurance money.

Latest one I've heard about...they'll unhook your fuel lines running from your fuel pump while you are away from your vehicle...when your vehicle won't start, a very helpful "bystander" will appear and get your car running after a bit of tinkering here and there. And then once it's "fixed" the rest of them will crowd in on you in and try to intimidate you into paying the "bystander" for his help...

They tend to shy away from violent crimes (due to armed citizens and police) and tend to go for the devious, especially jobs that you won't realize are scams until they are long gone with your money. However, you can get a rise out of them by taking pictures of their enclave or taking a gander through binoculars, they'll try to tail you when you leave. Matter of fact, if I had some money and nothing better to do, I'd have a workvan set up as the prototypical "surveillance van" and spend all my time messing with paranoid folks like them...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »
Anyone ever see the recipe for gypsy chicken soup?

It begins with: "Step 1:  Steal a chicken . . ."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
RKL, why...why....why. 

Because RKL is a former employee of HK's customer service department.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
The gypsies near my area that I mentioned earlier are involved in all sorts of criminal enterprises other than shoddy contracting...

As far as the contracting goes, they once scammed an entire town by "fixing" the courthouse's leaky antique copper roof. The fix worked for a while and it seemed that they had done a marvelous job. Until quite a time later...the cielings started leaking everywhere. What the gypsies had done was place a bunch of plastic buckets in the "attic" part of the courthouse to catch the water. And then made off like a bandit with the payment.
You gotta admit the buckets thing was pretty clever.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »
You gotta admit the buckets thing was pretty clever.

They just needed to come back and empty them once in a while  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
Fun and games in Londonistan . . .
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »
More insanity from (f)GB

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/245148/

It turns out there was a clash between Osama Bin Laden "supporters" and English Defence League "extremists" . . .

The "extremists" were chanting "USA! USA!" . . . in direct oppositon to the OBL supporters.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Fun and games in Londonistan . . .
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »
More insanity from (f)GB

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/245148/

It turns out there was a clash between Osama Bin Laden "supporters" and English Defence League "extremists" . . .

The "extremists" were chanting "USA! USA!" . . . in direct oppositon to the OBL supporters.

The Osama supports are called "extremists" and also "radicals" in the article.  The US-supporting EDL was not referred to as "Extremists".

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
The Osama supports are called "extremists" and also "radicals" in the article.  The US-supporting EDL was not referred to as "Extremists".

First paragraph:

HUNDREDS of Osama bin Laden supporters clashed with English Defence League extremists today as a “funeral service” for the assassinated terror leader sparked fury outside London’s US Embassy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »
First paragraph:

Oops.  Missed that.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage