Author Topic: CO apartment complex bans guns  (Read 6116 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
CO apartment complex bans guns
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/7/colorado-renters-told-toss-guns-or-move-out/

Good luck with that. :lol:

I had a similar fight with an apartment I lived in here in AZ, in Gilbert.  After some idgit blew up an apartment (single unit) in Mesa with a pipe bomb built with smokeless powder, my complex made a revision to rental terms.

They tried to prohibit propane, butane, camping fuels, smokeless and black powder, oxygen, acetylene, carbide and a list of other things.

I wrote them a certified letter stating I would absolutely not comply, that I had a number of those things in my apartment, had a constitutional right to have them, and I'd be happy to discuss it in court if they don't immediately retract the terms.  I also stated that this was a breach of contract on their part as it made for a substantial modification of rental terms midway through the contract.

No court appearance was necessary, they backed off immediately.

I have no idea where teh stoopidz came from that made them try it in the first place.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
Re: CO apartment complex bans guns
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »
. . . it made for a substantial modification of rental terms midway through the contract.
Precisely my first thought - IANAL, but with rare exceptions, one party to a contract can't unilaterally change the terms.

And . . . if the next time the lease comes up they include such a probibition . . . can they also prohibit free speech, require quartering of troops, ban peaceful assembly, etc.?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:29:57 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
keep the guns and wait to be forced to leave

yeah, I'd like to see how that works out for them  :P   >:D

I would think that it would be pretty damn hard to legally evict someone if they are paying their rent.

They going to do weekly apartment searches  ???  :facepalm:

And Castle Rock used to be a little town way out in the country.  If it wasn't for my mom, I would never venture into Colorado again.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
^^^ This is interesting, because private property owners generally have a broad ability under their property rights to prohibit certain activities from taking place on their property.  I would think that a Rugged Individualist would approve of this concept.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
It isn't a 2A thing, or a civil rights thing, it's a contract thing.

Precisely my first thought - IANAL, but with rare exceptions, one party to a contract can't unilaterally change the terms.

And . . . if the next time the lease comes up they include such a probibition . . . can they also prohibit free speech, require quartering of troops, ban peaceful assembly, etc.?

How far they can get away with it depends on CO law regarding apartment/housing rental agreements. Last rental I had went "month to month" after the initial lease expired with no changes in the contract terms. Of course that is in OK.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »
^^^ This is interesting, because private property owners generally have a broad ability under their property rights to prohibit certain activities from taking place on their property.  I would think that a Rugged Individualist would approve of this concept.

Back when this happened, I was less Rugged Individualist / Anarchist and more Constitutionalist in my outlook.  So I took the Constitutionalist approach, though I did move out and use my economic force (such as it was) to punish them, as well as to avoid any similar attempts on their part in the future.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »

Except this is a violation of contract, as it was not in the leasing paperwork. Signing a lease and then one party drastically changing the conditions is not something a Rugged Individualist would or should approve of.

Also, it's public housing that accepts local, state and fed money. You take the King's shilling, you are the King's man.

And lastly, nothing wrong with shaming people for doing the wrong thing.

Also, the place backed down when the sponsoring government agencies freaked out at the negative press, violation of Constitutional rights, angry voters, etc. Er, I mean, the commercial managing partner had a change of heart.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
Back when this happened, I was less Rugged Individualist / Anarchist and more Constitutionalist in my outlook.  So I took the Constitutionalist approach, though I did move out and use my economic force (such as it was) to punish them, as well as to avoid any similar attempts on their part in the future.

How would you handle it now, with your current outlook?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
Except this is a violation of contract, as it was not in the leasing paperwork. Signing a lease and then one party drastically changing the conditions is not something a Rugged Individualist would or should approve of.

Leasing agreements are changed unilaterally all the time, unless the contract provides for mutual agreement and consent to any changes. The property owner, for example, can raise the rates, start charging for parking, etc. with 30 days notice to the tenant unless the contract provides for longer notice provisions or that changes are only done at the renewal of the lease.  The tenant has the option of accepting the terms, negotiating different terms, or moving out.  You could argue if the prohibition of explosives on the property owners property is a 'drastic changing of the conditions', or is it an urgent action taken to protect the property of the owner?  

If an apartment owner discovers that a prepper has his spare bedroom full of 25 five gallon jerry cans of gasoline, would you expect the apartment owner to take no action or to prohibit such activities?  Would your opinion change if your children's bedroom was directly above the prepper's spare bedroom?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
How would you handle it now, with your current outlook?

More or less the same, but rely less on COTUS for argument and more on the premise of a voluntary contract.

Leasing agreements are changed unilaterally all the time, unless the contract provides for mutual agreement and consent to any changes. The property owner, for example, can raise the rates, start charging for parking, etc. with 30 days notice to the tenant unless the contract provides for longer notice provisions or that changes are only done at the renewal of the lease.  The tenant has the option of accepting the terms, negotiating different terms, or moving out.  You could argue if the prohibition of explosives on the property owners property is a 'drastic changing of the conditions', or is it an urgent action taken to protect the property of the owner? 

I've never stayed anywhere that allowed for mid-lease changes to rent rates.  Ever.  Or could change parking terms.

Every rental contract I've ever seen does not allow for that.

"Explosives" is also a rather precise word.  It should be used in a precise manner, since it has a precise technical and legal meaning.

--Lysander Spooner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
http://www.9news.com/news/article/349123/339/Apartments-firearm-policy-thrown-out

Looks like the ban was overruled because the apartment is public housing and gun bans in public housing is a no-no.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
Leasing agreements are changed unilaterally all the time, unless the contract provides for mutual agreement and consent to any changes. The property owner, for example, can raise the rates, start charging for parking, etc. with 30 days notice to the tenant unless the contract provides for longer notice provisions or that changes are only done at the renewal of the lease.  The tenant has the option of accepting the terms, negotiating different terms, or moving out.  You could argue if the prohibition of explosives on the property owners property is a 'drastic changing of the conditions', or is it an urgent action taken to protect the property of the owner?  

If an apartment owner discovers that a prepper has his spare bedroom full of 25 five gallon jerry cans of gasoline, would you expect the apartment owner to take no action or to prohibit such activities?  Would your opinion change if your children's bedroom was directly above the prepper's spare bedroom?

I have no doubt that some people are foolish enough to sign a contract without reading it, and I personally know that some leasing agreements are as shoddy or sleazy as you say. Most respectable leasing agreements do not allow rate hikes with short or no notice. They're usually rolled into end of the year or end of lease interval.

Regarding explosives and large amounts of gasoline, most leasing agreements do not cover these. Because they are covered under fire code and local ordinances. I had an explosives license and was one of the two leads on explosive storage at a site in Sikorsky, which became the model for all Sikorsky sites. So I know more on this than I would like. Explosives storage must comply with BATFE regs, federal law (typically have a license and follow BATFE regs), state law (usually see federal laws) and local rules (these can get interesting quickly). Some locations ban any explosives, others say just follow BATFE regs. If large quantities of gasoline indoor storage in residential rental properties was legal and in compliance with fire code, then yes, it might be the place for a lease to cover.

Nearly all leasing agreements do say that illegal activity and activity in violation of fire code are banned, and subject to termination of lease. I fail to see any problems with that. As a risk management expert, you'd probably tell a client to do the same. To avoid lawsuits, bad PR, et al, stick to "Illegal stuff is bad, so don't do it on our property. If it's legal and not destructive to our property, not our concerned."

So, no, children (mine or anyone else's) would not change my opinion.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
I'm a rugged individualist.  I don't support this.  When they rent me a home they don't get to tell me what I can do that's legal inside of it.  They don't get to tell me I have to wear boxers instead of tighty-whities.  They don't get to tell me how I have sex in the bedroom.  They don't get to tell me what I can eat for dinner or that I must be a vegan.  They don't get to tell me what books I can read or what TV shows I can watch.  When I come in the door and lock it then they don't get in.  That is, in most states, the law.  They can get in for maintenance and repairs with reasonable notice. 

I've researched these laws in several states.  They were all written by the same folks because most states have laws that are near verbatim copies.

Imagine how up in arms the Obama administration would be if they tried to pass a rule that their tenants could not engage in sodomy.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
quote author=Levant link=topic=40651.msg825155#msg825155 date=1376011971]
I'm a rugged individualist.  I don't support this.  When they rent me a home they don't get to tell me what I can do that's legal inside of it.  They don't get to tell me I have to wear boxers instead of tighty-whities.  They don't get to tell me how I have sex in the bedroom.  They don't get to tell me what I can eat for dinner or that I must be a vegan.  They don't get to tell me what books I can read or what TV shows I can watch.  When I come in the door and lock it then they don't get in.  That is, in most states, the law.  They can get in for maintenance and repairs with reasonable notice. 

I've researched these laws in several states.  They were all written by the same folks because most states have laws that are near verbatim copies.

Imagine how up in arms the Obama administration would be if they tried to pass a rule that their tenants could not engage in sodomy.
[/quote]

http://youtu.be/SY9vwalxg2E

[

--Lysander Spooner

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: CO apartment complex bans guns - decision reversed
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:16 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/8/colorado-apartment-complex-reverses-ban-guns/

“This board does not support any action that infringes on an individual’s rights and will not allow Ross Management to implement these changes. The mission of the Douglas County Housing partnership is to preserve and develop safe, secure, quality housing while providing housing choices for those who have few

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
It sucks for the tenants, but as a libertarian i have to agree that the owner of the apartments should be able to do whatever they want with their reg's so long as it doesn't contradict the lease agreement.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »

You do not have to live in the apartments either. As an individualist, shouldn't you support the owners rights lay down the law in their property? If you invite someone into your car or let them borrow your car for a while, you don't give them a blank check to do whatever they want with it. It's your car, your rules. Same goes with the apartment owner. The only thing they need to honor is the lease.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
You do not have to live in the apartments either. As an individualist, shouldn't you support the owners rights lay down the law in their property? If you invite someone into your car or let them borrow your car for a while, you don't give them a blank check to do whatever they want with it. It's your car, your rules. Same goes with the apartment owner. The only thing they need to honor is the lease.

There is a difference between inviting someone into your car, and someone paying money to rent, or in other words to temporarily make that apartment yours in a limited capacity.
Also,
Gamera is really sweet.
He is filled with turtle meat.
Now we have Commercial sign.
 [popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
Most leases (at least in my experience renting) have specific provisions regarding prohibited actions/behaviors/possessions.  Never saw one forbidding firearms, reloading components, etc.  Every single one explicitly prohibited storing gasoline inside the apartment.  Also "illegal activity".  Basically a catchall that lets them evict you if you happen to turn the apartment into a meth lab, etc.  But if they don't tell me I can't do something, then....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
While I understand the argument that the apartment owner ought to have the right to forbid guns I also question who should have the responsibility when tenant Jane Q. Citizen wakes up at zerodarkthirty and Hannibal Lecter has broken into her apartment and has his chianti and fava beans  and wants his  .... "midnight snack?"  >:D   and Mrs. Citizen no longer has her gun with which to debate the issue.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 06:59:46 AM »
There is a difference between inviting someone into your car, and someone paying money to rent, or in other words to temporarily make that apartment yours in a limited capacity.
Also,
Gamera is really sweet.
He is filled with turtle meat.
Now we have Commercial sign.
 [popcorn]

"See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
On his shell he holds the earth.
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind.
On his back all vows are made;
He sees the truth but mayn't aid.
He loves the land and loves the sea,
And even loves a child like me."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Levant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »

As an individualist the answer is no.  I don't support their right to lay down the law on their property.  They rented the property to me.  I paid for it.  They get to require that I don't break the law and that I don't do anything to disturb the neighbors or reduce the value of their property. 

As an individualist, do you think they have the right to tell you how you can behave during sex with your spouse?  Or that you must be a vegan?

Do clothes manufacturers get to require that you only behave certain ways while wearing their clothes?

What you are proposing is the literal definition of "land lord".  Renting me a place to live does not make someone my lord or master. 
NEOKShooter on GRM

Levant

• friend
Re: CO apartment complex bans guns - decision reversed
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/8/colorado-apartment-complex-reverses-ban-guns/

I wonder what is the relationship between the Douglas County Housing Partnership and Ross Management.  Perhaps the apartments receive a lot of HUD dollars?

Can you imagine the crime rate in an apartment complex that certifies all homes are without means of defense?
NEOKShooter on GRM

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 11:20:06 PM »
As an individualist the answer is no.  I don't support their right to lay down the law on their property.  They rented the property to me.  I paid for it.  They get to require that I don't break the law and that I don't do anything to disturb the neighbors or reduce the value of their property. 

As an individualist, do you think they have the right to tell you how you can behave during sex with your spouse?  Or that you must be a vegan?

Do clothes manufacturers get to require that you only behave certain ways while wearing their clothes?

What you are proposing is the literal definition of "land lord".  Renting me a place to live does not make someone my lord or master. 

Are you saying two individuals can't enter into a contract wherein one agrees to voluntarily constrain his actions while at a certain place?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »

Of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife