Author Topic: 12-Year-Old Suspended from School for Playing with Airsoft Guns in Private Yard  (Read 9305 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
http://gunsnfreedom.com/12-year-old-suspended-from-school-for-playing-with-airsoft-guns-in-private-yard/

couple of kids, waiting for the school bus were playing in the yard.
Hell toupee!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
thanks i saw that on my phone earlier  couldn't post it.  it should be fun to see em try to back away from this.
 i like where i live  i went to get kid off the bus with a slung 10-22   bus driver wanted to know if got the yote yet   but then again she looks like the kinda lady who coulda given birth to uncle si or phil roberson.

now the neighbor lady looked like she was gonna stroke out   so that just made it win win
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
In fact the boys were playing with their airsoft guns while waiting for the school bus to arrive.

Their parents and their parents' attorneys would disagree with this - or should disagree.

One waits for the school bus at a school bus stop.

These urchin future killer mercenaries were playing in their yard before it came time to move to the school bus stop.

Schools have extended their reach over children to now include what happens at school bus stops, which may be acceptable depending on the specific activities they are seeking to control.  But to try and extend their reach to include what a child does between crossing the threshold of their home and arriving at the school bus stop is over-reaching.  In my neighborhood the school bus stops are at designated locations - often at the end of the driveway of a single-family home or apartment complex.  In the mornings I see mothers supervising children at play back from the school bus stop - probably mostly to keep them from darting out into the street in front of traffic as opposed to umpireing hopscotch and jumprope and various ball games.  While 12-year olds do not need the close supervision that 6-year olds may require I am fairly sure there is some form of parental supervision in action.

If it were my kid my attorney would be filing civil suits for all sorts of violations of privacy, interfering with parental right, and loss of consortium.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Airsoft "can result in harm"  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
kids screwed himself.  i saw interview with mom and suspected as much when she avoided answering about him shooting other kids. shooting other kids on way too bus stop?  bad
we'll see if he can spin it and get a mulligan.
someone failed to supervise
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
what about snow ball fights...?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
i was never advised to wear safety glasses in a snowball fight

but i suspect in todays world it would be wise not to throw at noncombatants

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

My FIL was blinded in one eye by a snowball as a child.

"today's world" has gotten pretty crappy.  The kids might have been a little too rowdy but it's not exactly a gun incident.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Interesting that the school district believes they have jurisdiction over this matter insofar as the conduct occurred at or adjacent to a school bus stop.  I can see an argument being made for this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
For heaven's sake, don't yell "bang!" when you throw a snowball.   [tinfoil]
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
Interesting that the school district believes they have jurisdiction over this matter insofar as the conduct occurred at or adjacent to a school bus stop.  I can see an argument being made for this.

Please define [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
Please define [popcorn]
In this case one kid was within 10 ft of bus stop and a noncombatant when shot. Kids hosed. And the hosing could escalate. Mom failed to train supervise

damn phone

T.O.M.

• friend
Airsoft "can result in harm"  ???

My wife does liability work for an insurance company.  She has had several cases of kids causing injuries with airsoft.  Off the top of my head, I recall 2 loss-of-eye cases and (a personal favorite) the prom queen who had two teeth broken off by an aluminum air soft pellet at a party. Long story short, two boys shooting beer cans off the bar.  Try the William Tell shot.  She was uninvolved, in the background when shooter missed and hit he smiling face.  Both upper incisors cracked off.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Err... Location of the "bus stop" depends on locality.

My bus stop was MY driveway. I was on my (well, my parents) property until I stepped onto the road.

If that was the position of the bus stop, I don't see how school officials could say Boo about it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Please define [popcorn]

This is from the school district statement linked above, so it is not my definition:

Because students were on their way to or at a school bus stop when they were struck by pellets, the school division has
jurisdiction to take disciplinary actions against those students responsible for the disruption. There is an expectation that all students should be able to travel to and from school in the safest environment possible

Hawkmoon

• friend
This is from the school district statement linked above, so it is not my definition:

Because students were on their way to or at a school bus stop when they were struck by pellets, the school division has jurisdiction to take disciplinary actions against those students responsible for the disruption. There is an expectation that all students should be able to travel to and from school in the safest environment possible

So the principal says he has jurisdiction. I can say I'm the King of Siam, but it doesn't make me the King of Siam. Where's the law that says the principal of a school has jurisdiction over what kids do off school property, off school buses, and NOT (yet) at a school bus stop?

[popcorn]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend

QFT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uAgQKJuriIo
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
So the principal says he has jurisdiction. I can say I'm the King of Siam, but it doesn't make me the King of Siam. Where's the law that says the principal of a school has jurisdiction over what kids do off school property, off school buses, and NOT (yet) at a school bus stop?

[popcorn]

I have not the faintest idea, but the statement refers to consultation with the district's legal counsel.  Why don't you direct your question there and report back what the answer is?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...

Because students were on their way to or at a school bus stop when they were struck by pellets, the school division has
jurisdiction to take disciplinary actions against those students responsible for the disruption. There is an expectation that all students should be able to travel to and from school in the safest environment possible

well, no, not really.

The school doesn't have jurisdiction here. Local law enforcement does.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Levant

• friend
My wife does liability work for an insurance company.  She has had several cases of kids causing injuries with airsoft.  Off the top of my head, I recall 2 loss-of-eye cases and (a personal favorite) the prom queen who had two teeth broken off by an aluminum air soft pellet at a party. Long story short, two boys shooting beer cans off the bar.  Try the William Tell shot.  She was uninvolved, in the background when shooter missed and hit he smiling face.  Both upper incisors cracked off.

Life is dangerous.  But living dangerously beats the hell out of being in a bubble.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

MechAg94

• friend
I have not the faintest idea, but the statement refers to consultation with the district's legal counsel.  Why don't you direct your question there and report back what the answer is?
His legal council is there for the sole purpose of protecting the school from liability and making sure the school and its officials never have to say they were wrong.  I would never trust any facts or information they provide. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
Unlike kids mom?

damn phone

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

So I know next to nothing about airsoft, but I always thought they fired these relatively soft plastic pellets.  I am clearly wrong.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-suspended-school-toy-gun-family-property-article-1.1465745

So after looking at this article with pictures, I now understand the whole thing: the kid looks like Trayvon.