Author Topic: Nork nano-nuke  (Read 6395 times)

Hutch

• friend
Nork nano-nuke
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
Well, not really nano, but I like alliteration.

WaPo is reporting that the DPRK has developed a nukyuler warhead small enough to fit on one of their missiles.  And that they likely have about 60 or so nukes in inventory (didn't see where the estimated the total missile-deliverable number). And that they are close to a two-stage (thermo-nuclear) weapon.  And that, having a bit of a tiff w/ the PRC, they are consulting with our good friends, the Iranians.

I dimly recall that the WaPo also agreed that the Iraqis had WMD, as well.  All that being said...

My non-interventionist side says "So, whose problem is this, really?". 
My conspiracist side says "So, the MIC is about to embroil us in a fracas, I fear." 
My fraidy-cat side says "We need to clobber them before they uncork some of their bottled sunshine on US."

Is it time to increase the pucker factor?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Nork nano-nuke
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »
China would probably helps themselves in the long run if they invaded NK before anyone else did.  At the least, it would allow them to establish a buffer zone even if they didn't want to go all the way to the DMZ.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
China would probably helps themselves in the long run if they invaded NK before anyone else did.
No one wants to invade NK because no one wants to inherit 25 million abjectly poor, starving, xenophobic, brainwashed people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
No one wants to invade NK because no one wants to inherit 25 million abjectly poor, starving, xenophobic, brainwashed people.

You know, if you could deploy a precise EMP that wouldn't affect SK and other surrounding countries, knocking out the midget's tech capabilities and infrastructure would probably only affect like 20% of their population. Might even give all those farmers in the hinterlands some power, since they'd be the ones with the food and are already using many primitive farming methods. Well, except for the brainwashing. Yes I'm being somewhat facetious.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »
This all sounded very reasonable, until the Iranian involvement got tacked on to it a couple of days ago. 

Now it just sounds like the sort of implausible scenario that Congress would dream up in order to convince itself to drop that treaty that they all professed to hate, but which actually made sense (then, but especially now) and which hasn't actually been breached yet. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »

My conspiracist side says "So, the MIC is about to embroil us in a fracas, I fear." 

"MIC" ??? What dat?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
This all sounded very reasonable, until the Iranian involvement got tacked on to it a couple of days ago. 

Now it just sounds like the sort of implausible scenario that Congress would dream up in order to convince itself to drop that treaty that they all professed to hate, but which actually made sense (then, but especially now) and which hasn't actually been breached yet. 

Which treaty, the Korean armistice, or the Iran treaty from Obama?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »

I dimly recall that the WaPo also agreed that the Iraqis had WMD, as well.  All that being said...

My non-interventionist side says "So, whose problem is this, really?". 
My fraidy-cat side says "We need to clobber them before they uncork some of their bottled sunshine on US."

Is it time to increase the pucker factor?

Iraq had conducted 0 nuclear tests.  Best Korea has conducted 5.  So yeah, they have nukes.

It our problem, because if the can get one to fit on a warhead, they can pretty much hit any where in CONUS.*

And yes, it's time to increase the pucker factor. 

*- I think Plains, GA would be a suitable target....http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/160858

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »
It our problem, because if the can get one to fit on a warhead, they can pretty much hit any where in CONUS.*
You mean with an SLBM like the KN-11?  I don't think their KN-08 is ready for prime time yet, and it is the only ICBM that would really have a hope of covering the continental US.

I'm curious how likely their subs would be to actually make it within range of the US.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
Which treaty, the Korean armistice, or the Iran treaty from Obama?

the Obama-era Iran treaty
"Make peace, you fools"

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
You mean with an SLBM like the KN-11?  I don't think their KN-08 is ready for prime time yet, and it is the only ICBM that would really have a hope of covering the continental US.

I'm curious how likely their subs would be to actually make it within range of the US.

No, The KN-14.  They also rolled out vehicle mounted "canister" during Grampa's Birthday Parade back in April.  Speculation is that they are new multi stage solid fueled missiles capable of intercontinental distance.

But they still have missiles capable of hitting Seoul or Tokyo.   Do you think we would just stand by if either (or any ROK or Japanese city) went up in a mushroom cloud?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:53:17 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »

But they still have missiles capable of hitting Seoul or Tokyo.   Do you think we would just stand by if either (or any ROK or Japanese city) went up in a mushroom cloud?

We might well have stood by under Obama. I would hope we wouldn't under Trump.

Pucker factor is increasing. I can't escape the feeling that we have already waited too long, that we probably should have dropped the mother of all (conventional) bombs on their nuke facility about three years ago.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »

Pucker factor is increasing. I can't escape the feeling that we have already waited too long, that we probably should have dropped the mother of all (conventional) bombs on their nuke facility about three thirteen years ago.

FTFY.....  (Thanks Jimmy !!!!)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »

Pucker factor is increasing. I can't escape the feeling that we have already waited too long, that we probably should have dropped the mother of all (conventional) bombs on their nuke facility about three years ago.

No-one would have stood by if they let a nuke off - even the Chinese would have retaliated, and they own them. 
"Make peace, you fools"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »
No, The KN-14.  They also rolled out vehicle mounted "canister" during Grampa's Birthday Parade back in April.  Speculation is that they are new multi stage solid fueled missiles capable of intercontinental distance.

But they still have missiles capable of hitting Seoul or Tokyo.   Do you think we would just stand by if either (or any ROK or Japanese city) went up in a mushroom cloud?
KN-14 is next gen KN-08. Neither one is operational yet.

As the Brit said, if they nuke anyone, their game is up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »

As the Brit said, if they nuke anyone, their game is up.

Which still comes down to the problem being that the midget may really be psychologically unbalanced and simply not care. He may truly assume that he'll rise from the ashes and from his bunker. Much the same fear we have had and will have regarding religious zealots in the Middle East obtaining nukes. MAD only works if both sides have all their marbles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
"MIC" ??? What dat?
Military Industrial Complex.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 09:04:13 PM »
No-one would have stood by if they let a nuke off - even the Chinese would have retaliated, and they own them. 

You have a lot more confidence in Obama than I do. I think there's at least a 50/50 chance he would have done nothing.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:37 PM »
Considering China's past, (Mao may well have murdered more people than Hitler and Stalin combined) China's solution may be appallingly straightforward . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 11:02:41 PM »

That's actually where the Chinese approach to such things is quite effective.

"Screw 'em.  They're biodegradable."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
That's actually where the Chinese approach to such things is quite effective.

"Screw 'em.  They're biodegradable."
That was my thought.  Why would they care? 

Also, my mention of a Chinese invasion was just to insure that at least part of NK stayed either under their control or as a buffer.  They might also try to take credit for reigning in the madman.  It might help SK as the NK military is all focused on the demilitarized zone.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »
I wish the chicoms would "replace" him with a more peaceful and cooperative puppet, if they are so hell-bent on preventing NK from being a free country.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
I'd like to congratulate Dr. Robert Jeffress, for reminding us all that in every crisis there is a little gem of comedy:

The biblical passage Romans 13 gives the government authority to deal with evildoers, Jeffress said. “That gives the government … the authority to do whatever, whether it’s assassination, capital punishment or evil punishment to quell the actions of evildoers like Kim Jong Un,” he said.

He said that many pacifist Christians will cite Romans 12, which says, “Do not repay evil for evil,” but Jeffress says that the passage is referring to Christians, not to the government.

=D

(reported here - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/08/08/god-has-given-trump-authority-to-take-out-kim-jong-un-evangelical-adviser-says/?utm_term=.304f34090789)
"Make peace, you fools"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »
Upon reflection, I think I will up my readiness level to Prepcon 2, which means stirring on the couch more frequently, and perusing Cheaper Than Dirt catalogs, looking at pistol crossbows and butterfly knives.