Author Topic: Nork nano-nuke  (Read 6397 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Nork nano-nuke
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »
You have a lot more confidence in Obama than I do. I think there's at least a 50/50 chance he would have done nothing.

My money would have been on him apologizing for what ever evilamericancapitalist act we had done to justify getting us nuked.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
My money would have been on him apologizing for what ever evilamericancapitalist act we had done to justify getting us nuked.

Mine, too. And bowing to the fat midget while apologizing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »
It seems as if the PRC has vowed to intervene on behalf of the DPRK if we should throw the first punch, but will remain neutral if Li'l Kim takes a poke at us first.  Geopolitics just baffles, and in this case, terrifies me.

I hope no future Barbara Tuchman writes another The Guns of August about 2017.

As fate would have it, one of the groomsmen in my daughter's wedding arrived in Seoul for a 2.5 week bidness trip just a coupla days ago.  Seems to make it more personal to me, for some reason.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:02 AM »
How much nukes could Nork nuke if Nork could nuke New York?
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
How much nukes could Nork nuke if Nork could nuke New York?

Report to moderator    Logged 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I promise not to duck.

You'd better.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
The answer is obvious.

A Nork would nuke as much nuke as a Nork would nuke if a Nork could nuke New York.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
I am so hoping that the PRC decides to put down the rabid pitbull in their backyard and get a new puppy that they can train better and get housebroken.

I'd much rather see the PRC do the Disarm and Decapitate strike.  I think we'd be best if we signaled that to the PRC.   No US Troops north of the current DMZ (ever), but get rid of the Kim's and put in someone you can control better.

I also think, that the next missile the Nork's launch will be taken out by one the ABMDS ships (I think we have a few in Pacific).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »
I'm sure it's been a standing request/offer from the U.S. and ROK to China for probably more than a decade now that if China were to take them over we'd be cool with it.

We've probably also been floating overtures that if we preemptively took out the DPRK's nuclear capability, and Kim, that we'd let China have a new puppet state in exchange for not interfering, because they want the buffer so badly.

Meanwhile Kim and the DPRK are probably desperately threatening the PRC with whatever he can, refugee flood, flood of illegal narcotics, counterfeit Yuan bills, all of the above... whatever, if they don't keep backing him. And a chunk of China has been in range of even their earlier nuclear capabilities as much as the ROK is.

China has certainly been willing to mix it up with other Communist countries if they thought it was in their interests. They had that nasty little skirmish/border war/invasion of Vietnam in '79, in retaliation for them invading Cambodia and overturning the Khmer Rouge. Although times are a bit different, that was when China still had had some semblance of a Maoist ideological orientation, and they saw Vietnam's involvement in Cambodia as an attempt at Soviet meddling/hegemony in SE Asia.

Didn't work, seeing as Vietnam occupied Cambodia up until '89. Total non sequitur, but crap has to be pretty bad for a Communist Vietnamese occupation to be a significant improvement in your political situation.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »
I was at the VA hospital this morning for a session of physical therapy. I skipped breakfast to make it to my appointment so, after the session, I headed to the cafeteria for breakfast. The veteran in the line behind me looked at me and volunteered, "Well, we're going to war next week."

I guess I looked puzzled, because then he followed up with, "North Korea. I figure it'll start next week -- if not sooner."

I dunno. I hope he's wrong. In all honesty, though, I do think we're going to be at war with North Korea before it's all settled. I don't think it will happen by next week, but it could happen by the end of this year. And I'm certainly glad I don't live on Guam.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
Meh. Slow boil.

Figure 40% of it is MSM fearmongering/FUD/and issue inflation. And it's an anti-Trump angle, much like how the bleating was nearly constant for eight years that Reagan was going to get us into WWIII with the USSR etc.

20% of it is the Nork's don't have a re-entry heatshield/guidance package to put the bomb in yet.

20% of it is the Nork's don't actually have their new rockets to the point they can reach CONUS, Hawaii and AK is still a stretch for them.

10% of it is we recently found out that the Nork's were getting their rocket engines from Ukraine. We have a bit of leverage with Ukraine in terms of if they want help economically, politically, or militarily to keep Russia from taking more of their territory etc. Maybe they got enough ahead of time from Ukraine, maybe they didn't. Either way, it's unlikely they'll be getting more from there.

And after all that, I figure 10% of the threat is "real" and flipping a coin as to whether Kim wants nukes for regional MAD and to ensure his reign, or if he's a non-rational player and wants to actually use it.

A 50/50 chance on a 10% chance where nukes are involved is not something anybody wants, but then I don't think it's "hot" enough we're going to preemptively strike them either. At least not yet.

I think the most likely escalation that will come next is a test on their part, and in response we try to shoot it down. Lesser possibility something overflies or comes too close to Japan, and their own systems take a shot at it.

I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
The Fat Kid did get the message...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/14/in-north-korea-crisis-china-hands-trump-a-win-commentary.html

China hands Trump a win on North Korea crisis

The media must be engaging in wholesale weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »
The media must be engaging in wholesale weeping and gnashing of teeth.

One word, Charlottesville...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
Maybe the fat midget didn't get the message after all:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/north-korea-south-korea-us-military-drills/index.html

I'm glad I don't live in Guam or Hawaii.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
Is it bad that I sort of agree with China that conducting the drills seems a bit provacative?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
Is it bad that I sort of agree with China that conducting the drills seems a bit provacative?

Well, they are -- and they aren't. It's an annual exercise, that has been conducted every year for many years. The south hasn't attacked the north yet as a result of the exercises, which I believe are defensive in nature. And this year the U.S. will have 30 percent fewer troops involved than last year.

Beyond that, with all the saber-rattling NK has been engaging in recently, how can they legitimately call a defensive exercise "provocative"? And as for Russia and China making that claim? That's the pot calling the kettle black -- China is building those artificial islands in disputed territory and militarizing them, Russia has invaded both Ukraine and Georgia in recent years -- they have no moral high ground to be accusing anyone of being "provocative."

The only thing any of those clowns understand is strength. If the U.S. and South Korea were to cancel a planned, annual exercise now because the midget uttered harsh words, I'm sure it would be interpreted by North Korea, China, and Russia as a sign of weakness. And that would only lead to further provocations by all three of the above-named suspects.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
China ought to pull a twofer. Invade NK and ROC simultaneously. Dare anyone to say anything.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.