Author Topic: Why thank you harry reid  (Read 6416 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Why thank you harry reid
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:13:52 PM »
What I received in the mail today just made my blood boil!!!! :mad: :mad:

The National Shooting Sports Foundation just sent me a mailing telling me how much I need to thank harry reid for creating the world largest state-of-the-art range facility.  NSSF is urging me to support harry reid.  I promptly wrote them and told them that I will not support NSSF or the NRA for that matter as long as they continue to back harry reid.  I explained in civil terms how reid will walk lock step with whatever legislation that obama pushes.  When the gun ban is proposed, harry reid will lead the charge.  If they doubt me, they only need to look at the health care debacle.  Harry reid is no friend of gun owners.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Why thank you harry reid
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:02:04 AM »
So the fact that Harry Reid has bucked his party leadership on the gun issue for what, over a decade, was all just a ruse?  ;/

Pull back from your emotions and use a little reason.  Whether or not you agree with his other actions Harry Reid has always been a stalwart friend of gun owners and many of our gains over the years, including park carry most recently, would not have happened without him being in positions of seniority in the Democratic party.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

P5 Guy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
Harry gets high marks from the NRA, for what thats worth.
I can't find any anti gun votes by HR in the past several years.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
Harry Reid can pound sand. The OP is correct. Reid will march lockstep with the democrat agenda.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »
Carebear is right in one sense: on guns, the Flaming Dingleberry is right. But far greater issues are plaguing our nation right now, and that piece of day-old pus deserves the enmity of every Americam.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
Isn't NSSF that org that parades itself as a gun rights group while pushing for more regulation?

NRA backed Reid?????
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »
Carebear is right in one sense: on guns, the Flaming Dingleberry is right. But far greater issues are plaguing our nation right now, and that piece of day-old pus deserves the enmity of every Americam.

TC

Dingle is just another Leftist Extremist Parasite, who just happens to like guns.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »
Isn't NSSF that org that parades itself as a gun rights group while pushing for more regulation?

No, you're thinking of Americans for Gun Safety
The NSSF are good guys.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:38:25 AM »
No, you're thinking of Americans for Gun Safety
The NSSF are good guys.

OK, thanks. However, if they gave Dingy Harry a good grade I'm kinda wondering about their good guy (wasn't that "Chucky" doll a "Good Guy") rating though. =|

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:44:58 AM »
ahsa i think were the brady shills ??? man my memory sucks, but it was something like that [popcorn]

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:49:37 AM »
That's them, sanglant.  Those are the folks I was thinking of.  Hey, Sgt. Bob, I was wrong.  (I know, it seems an impossibility.)  Look at sanglant's post.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »
Wow, I thought this thread was dead and buried.

First off, NSSF sends out a mailer suggesting that Nevada residents call, write or email Harry Reid for making it possible for the shooting park to open.  Interestingly, I live in Northern Nevada, about 7 hours away from the park in Southern Nevada.  The park and mailing is useless to me.  The mailers went state wide and their implication is that we need to support Harry Reid because he does good things for Nevada shooters.  Where I live is awash with anti Harry Reid bumper stickers.  Harry Reid cannot win without Northern Nevada, democrat held Las Vegas will hold for him, but it's not enough if the rest of the state goes against him.  Harry is very worried about this election and low and behold we get a mailing from the NSSF urging us to thank Reid.

NRA backed Reid?????

Last year I received a mailing from the NRA urging us to support and thank Reid for the good things he does for shooters.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
That's them, sanglant.  Those are the folks I was thinking of.  Hey, Sgt. Bob, I was wrong.  (I know, it seems an impossibility.)  Look at sanglant's post.

[cheesy movie reference]Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so![/cheesy movie reference]  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »
All I can say is that the NRA is and has to be a single issue organization.  If they start taking on other issues or getting in bed with another political movement, they just sabotage themselves.  The political director for the Texas State Rifle Association said that exact thing in their newsletter recently.  While she appreciated the emails and such about other issues, they simply have to focus on gun issues.

On another point, all of you who talked about Pro-Gun Democrats, did you really think they were all conservative or libertarian or something?  
 ;) =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:33:18 AM »
On another point, all of you who talked about Pro-Gun Democrats, did you really think they were all conservative or libertarian or something?  
 ;) =D

Yeah, I keep hearing how good a friend Dingle is to gun owners, blah, blah. He's not a friend to much of anyone when he supports a party whose leaders stated goals are the destruction of America as we know it.

"I'm your friend.......[stab], I like guns...[stab]  [barf]

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 02:48:30 PM »
All I can say is that the NRA is and has to be a single issue organization.  If they start taking on other issues or getting in bed with another political movement, they just sabotage themselves.

Well, it would be nice if they were consistent about that...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 04:26:18 PM »
Well, it would be nice if they were consistent about that...  =|

What other issues or movements do they get involved in?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
Yeah, I keep hearing how good a friend Dingle is to gun owners, blah, blah. He's not a friend to much of anyone when he supports a party whose leaders stated goals are the destruction of America as we know it.

"I'm your friend.......[stab], I like guns...[stab]  [barf]

Where have the Democrats stated that they want to destroy America?  I can't find it anywhere.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
What other issues or movements do they get involved in?

Well, when you read the write-ups about their annual meeting, one gets the impression that if you are pagan and anti-war, you might not be welcome  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 07:42:14 PM »
Well, when you read the write-ups about their annual meeting, one gets the impression that if you are pagan and anti-war, you might not be welcome  =|

Okay, that may be a valid impression and if so should be corrected.  The NRA for good or ill has more cultural conservatives than libertarian or otherwise liberal types.  Only fix for that though is for more of the latter types to get involved.

However, that's their annual meeting, one week of meet and greet.  What exactly in their public actions or stated/written policies involves anything other than gun rights related issues?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »

I honestly never thought I'd be saying this to you, but maybe you just need a thicker skin.  For one thing, I kinda doubt anyone at an NRA meeting will be asking you to confirm your support for non-gunnish political positions, or making you pray the rosary with them.  I've been to a couple of their annual meets, and I didn't get the impression that it was a prayer meeting or a pro-war rally. 

That being said, I don't know what you've heard, and my attendance at the meetings was pretty much limited to the trade show aspect of it (the manufacturers' exhibit hall, or whatever they call it).

My fellow Christian conservative types have the same complaint about a lot of organizations, one in particular is the university.  I think they need to get a thicker skin and not be so worried that the profs are all politically backward.

In both cases, I think you'll find you're not the only oddball in the bunch.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »
I honestly never thought I'd be saying this to you, but maybe you just need a thicker skin. 

It's not about me at all.  ;/

I'm just wondering about all the folks who might become NRA members if the "culture" didn't seem so hostile.  =|

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »
It's not about me at all.  ;/

I'm just wondering about all the folks who might become NRA members if the "culture" didn't seem so hostile.  =|

It's hard to change a "culture" that is determined by the members. Especially if you refuse to become a member.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »
It's hard to change a "culture" that is determined by the members. Especially if you refuse to become a member.

I've been an NRA member continuously for about a dozen years now (off and on before that).

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
I wonder still if the problem is more of perception than reality.

Can you judge the "culture" of the NRA by the folks whose signs get published?  That they open with an invocation which has been deriguer in this country since, oh, the founding? 

By that note the media is right on to label the Tea Party morons if not actually evil, yet that first impression based on a limited selection of evidence is palpably not the case.