Author Topic: Why we love our police (again)  (Read 2416 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why we love our police (again)
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/02/17/police-raid-90-year-old-womans-home-find-nothing/

Synopsis: Police get search warrant, raid house of a 90-year old woman, find no evidence of drugs in the house and no indication woman has ever used or sold drugs, and the department's brilliant comment is:

"while the resident may not have had any knowledge of drugs being sold from her home, it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen."

So if Granny wasn't dealing drugs and you can't find any evidence of drugs, even using drug-sniffing dogs, exactly who was doing the alleged dealing? The tooth fairy? I wonder how much the po-po paid the confidential informant for dropping a dime on Granny.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Why we love our police (again)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »
She had too much Geritol.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »
At the bottom, the article says the department is paying for some repairs and new windows.  I think they know they screwed up and are trying to avoid liability. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:34:29 AM »
Did she blow her chance of suing the Department by accepting repairs?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »
If just one person was prevented from feeling less pain or enjoying euphoria, it's worth it
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 01:24:42 PM »
And of course, the MOST important thing is that all the cops in the Granny Raid got to go home that night.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »
very little in life that involves humans winds up perfect.  The police are no exception.  yeah, we all want perfection, and no mistakes, but that is just not reality.
What you can take to the bank though, is that without the police, life would be pretty intense for us all.  Like them or not,  society wants and needs law and police to enforce those laws.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »
very little in life that involves humans winds up perfect.  The police are no exception.  yeah, we all want perfection, and no mistakes, but that is just not reality.
What you can take to the bank though, is that without the police, life would be pretty intense for us all.  Like them or not,  society wants and needs law and police to enforce those laws.

My problem with nearly all of these stories is the LAZINESS these events represent.

In nearly every wrong raid, a simple staking out of the house and actually checking out of the "informant's" story would have ended this with no one ever knowing about it.

But the police usually have no idea who is in the house, whether children are present (even when toys are strewn in the yard), or if the criminal activity they suspect is actually going on.

Yes, it takes more time to check out a house before breaking in. It's safer for all involved, though, too.

I think these types of raids are necessary at times. There needs to be a LOT more due diligence before they are used.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
My problem with nearly all of these stories is the LAZINESS these events represent.

And generally unprofessional practices and attitudes.  For the love of Pete, have some pride and self-discipline.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
And generally unprofessional practices and attitudes.  For the love of Pete, have some pride and self-discipline.

I think in many cases the cops are proud of what they do, even when they know they are doing wrong.  They believe they are getting over on someone, whether it's the bad guys, or good guys they know can do little or nothing to correct their behavior.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »
For the love of Pete, have some pride and self-discipline.

You don't need that when you've qualified immunity.  (and a strong union helps with that pesky "qualified" part)
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

This.  SO. MUCH. THIS.

In addition to thoroughly investigating crimes, we also made sure we ran down exculpatory leads just as vigorously.  We wanted to make sure that if we brought some to courts-martial and were going to put them in jail for long time that we got the right SOB, and that he was going to get what he deserved, good and hard.  Since there are no consequences to civilian police for getting it wrong, there's little to no effort to get it right.  And as that arrogance and reckless disregard for the fundamental rights of the people continues and grows, the mis- and distrust of the those that are supposed "To Protect and to Serve" will continue to fester and boil over, as we have seen with the riots in Ferguson and Staten Island.  We are approaching the tipping point, where unless the police are reined in, there will be a point where it will get very ugly, very quick and spread beyond the confines of the inner cities/ghettos/poor/minority communities
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.