Author Topic: Jailed in Mexico for .410 Shotgun  (Read 2373 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Jailed in Mexico for .410 Shotgun
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
Has anyone else been following this? I know guys who go to Mexico hunting all the time. In the last couple of years they've actually stopped taking their guns with them and use shotguns provided by their outfitter, specifically because they're scared of new Mexican laws, which seem to be a moving target. Prior to that though, they regularly took their shotguns, including 12 gauge autos and pumps, which somehow didn't qualify as a Mexican "military firearm", yet this single shot .410 does. Though I haven't seen a picture of it, it sure sounds like a kid's first hunting shotgun.

If I were to put tinfoil on, I'd wonder if the State Department is distancing itself from this because of their very new gun control push.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/20/letter-from-mexican-ambassador-dampens-hope-for-early-release-jon-hammar/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Jailed in Mexico for .410 Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
For all that Bill O'Reilly is a bloviator par excellence, he has been reporting on this story, and I commend him for it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
Yeah you don't take guns of any kind into Mexico...no matter who says it's OK. Just like the trucker with the truckload of ammunition who was told by the US side border guards to go down and turn around in Mexico and was promptly arrested by the Mexicans.

Better yet, just don't go to Mexico at all. The US .gov is ineffectual at taking action should you run afoul of the very corrupt "authorities"

Yet we let them pour into our country and violate laws at will with no consequence...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
Hunting in Mexico?

Hunter or hunted?  Man, that's nuts.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
Hunting in Mexico?

Hunter or hunted?  Man, that's nuts.

It's actually quite popular and somewhat geared towards the rich. The people I know who do it are limousine liberals. Anti-gunners but shotguns are okay, and they stay in hoity toity digs with gourmet meals. Instead of dogs, they have Mexicans fetch the birds, do all the cleaning, etc.  There are businesses in San Diego that are dedicated to setting up all the necessary stamps, etc. to get guns across the border for those driving in.

It appears that it was until somewhat recently a fairly easy process. Again, as mentioned above, the rules seem to have changed so that even those libs I know who otherwise always thought I was paranoid for worrying about gun laws, now think it's too much of a risk to bring their guns across the border.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
Even worse he was only passing through Mexico going to Costa Rica. ???

Of course the White House Press Secretary had no clue.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
I wasn't aware that it was a 410 Shotgun or that it was a single shot.  I saw a picture of it and it appeared to be an only Mossberg bolt action shotgun.  O'Reilly called it an "antique gun" which is possible but looks more like something made in the 50's or 60's.  But I know he was trying to diminish the stature/significance of the shotgun as it is clearly not a shotgun that would likely be used by the narco gangs.

Seems a bit overkill in terms of enforcement, but I don't know Mexican gun laws.  I was thinking as long as it was not a "military" caliber, it was okay.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
Eff Mexico. I used to think that Africa was the worst place in the world and that I'd never want to go back there, ever. Mexico has officially nudged that continent out of that first place spot.

At this point, in the opinion of this squirrel, we need to take off the velvet gloves and start hitting the cartels with the bare steel gauntlet of our military, and in addition, either A: Build a huge effing wall along the border to the tune of the film "Monsters," or B: just annex the damn place and drop the heavy end of the hammer on the corrupt officials down there. To say that the majority of Mexico's government/police/military is dancing to the tune of the cartels is an understatement. I'd equate the place with the likes of Somalia circa 1991.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 05:53:52 AM »
Yeah you don't take guns of any kind into Mexico...no matter who says it's OK. Just like the trucker with the truckload of ammunition who was told by the US side border guards to go down and turn around in Mexico and was promptly arrested by the Mexicans.

Better yet, just don't go to Mexico at all. The US .gov is ineffectual at taking action should you run afoul of the very corrupt "authorities"

Yet we let them pour into our country and violate laws at will with no consequence...

Hell, there was a guy, what? 5, 6 years ago now? Went across the border for the day, and got his car picked for search. They found no weapons, and (IIRC) *ONE* shotgun round (might have even been an expended hull) in the bottom of the trunk which he explained must have come out of his range bag from a shooting trip in the US earlier in the week.

I think he did at least a year in a Mexican prison; ISTR that our gov't did exactly jack for him - as in, not even TRYING to talk with Mexico's govt over the issue. Oh, and when he got home, he got to give up his guns - because he was found guilty of a felony in Mexico. I do not know if that got overturned; for all I know, I might be misremembering something about the other details. But I don't think you could pay me to drive into Mexico.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
Don't know who (if anyone) intervened, but it looks like he gets to at least come home for Christmas.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/21/report-jon-hammar-to-be-released-from-mexican-prison-today/?test=latestnews

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
Yes, he's out: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/12/21/ex-marine-to-be-released-from-mexican-jail-friday/

IMHO no American should set foot inside Mexico. And the danged American border officials who let this guy carry a firearm into Mexico should be tarred and feathered. Our State Department should post a travel advisory to all Americans to avoid Mexico. Mexico isn't even safe for Mexicans, it's definitely not safe for Americans.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
Back in the late 70's we'd take troops into Mexico for weekend and week-long R&R trips, (Spec. Serv's), diving & fishing.  Remember how the Top Sgt had to stop along the route and grease the palms of the local cops along the route so we could continue unmolested.

Never had the wish to return to Mexico since leaving the Corps.  Hell, I get nervous just driving past the off-ramps to the border crossings - I've been known to make a wrong turn or two.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
or B: just annex the damn place and drop the heavy end of the hammer on the corrupt officials down there. To say that the majority of Mexico's government/police/military is dancing to the tune of the cartels is an understatement. I'd equate the place with the likes of Somalia circa 1991.

'Cuz those cartels certainly can't afford to make our officials dance.  ;/
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 12:06:35 AM »
And the danged American border officials who let this guy carry a firearm into Mexico should be tarred and feathered.

B-but see, Americans are supplying the guns to the cartels! (Just trying to get all the political snark in that I can before the Christmas dry spell.  ;))

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »
'Cuz those cartels certainly can't afford to make our officials dance.  ;/

Our own Cartels, the Mafia, did for a time, back in the 20's and 30's. They had Judges, Police departments, even Senators and Congressmen in their pockets. But we actually did something about that.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »
At this point, in the opinion of this squirrel, we need to take off the velvet gloves and start hitting the cartels with the bare steel gauntlet of our military, and in addition, either A: Build a huge effing wall along the border to the tune of the film "Monsters," or B: just annex the damn place and drop the heavy end of the hammer on the corrupt officials down there. To say that the majority of Mexico's government/police/military is dancing to the tune of the cartels is an understatement. I'd equate the place with the likes of Somalia circa 1991.

Our own Cartels, the Mafia, did for a time, back in the 20's and 30's. They had Judges, Police departments, even Senators and Congressmen in their pockets. But we actually did something about that.

Right, and the way you "do something about that" is you pull the rug from under their feet. You legalize, sensibly regulate what ever they are making their black market fortune off of, and make them go out of business. The cartels, mafia... never did well against legally protected entrepreneurs.

Head on militarized confrontation only means a more intrusive police state in your life. Higher profit margins for them, less rights for us. "Drug Warriors" ;/= people specialized in gutting Constitutional guarantees. It should be very clear by now that the prohibition kick-ass approach has fallen flat on its face, left us with a legacy of a gigantic industry that profits from throwing Americans in prison, highly abusive law enforcement culture and a gang banged 4th Amendment. Not to mention a network of unbelievably rich, unrestrained, uber violent savages right at the gates.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"