Author Topic: Sirhan Sirhan  (Read 2109 times)

grampster

• friend
Sirhan Sirhan
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »
So, he's up for parole.  Should he be released?

My opinion:  You take a life in a criminal way, you forfeit yours.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Sirhan Sirhan
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
I agree with you, so my vote is no.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirhan_Sirhan

Applications for parole
In a 1980 transcripted interview with M.T. Mehdi, Sirhan claimed his actions were fueled by liquor and anger. He then complained that the parole board was not taking these "mitigating" circumstances into account when they continually denied his parole.[16]

On May 10, 1982, Sirhan told the parole board: "I sincerely believe that if Robert Kennedy were alive today, I believe he would not countenance singling me out for this kind of treatment. I think he would be among the first to say that, however horrible the deed I committed 14 years ago was, that it should not be the cause for denying me equal treatment under the laws of this country."[23][24]

A parole hearing for Sirhan is now scheduled every five years. On March 15, 2006, he was denied parole for the 13th time.[25] He did not attend the hearing, nor did he appoint a new attorney to represent him. His next possible chance for parole will be in 2011.[26]

Denied parole every time for the last 13 times.  He is now up for chance #14, and will most likely be denied again.  Just like with Charlie Manson, he gets a periodic chance for parole, and just like with Charlie Manson the California Parole Board knows that if they ever grant parole their lives are not going to be worth much.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »
No.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »
he gets to leave    in a box
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »
No.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:47:45 AM »
What are the legal requirements for parole? I'm not really certain how the system works.

In my view, his crime is not worse than that of any other murder, nor better. If he is eligible for parole under whatever the ordinary rules are, then he should get it. If not, then not. He's not a special person.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »
If he hadn't killed a Kennedy, he'd likely be out by now.

Of course, in this country that *expletive deleted*ing family is revered like Gods, so he'll never see the light of day.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »
If he hadn't killed a Kennedy, he'd likely be out by now.

Of course, in this country that *expletive deleted* family is revered like Gods, so he'll never see the light of day.

This.  Nothing else.

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
I suspect lots of people, of many political persuasions aren't so ticked that he killed a Kennedy, but which one...
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:38:21 AM »
What are the legal requirements for parole? I'm not really certain how the system works.

In my view, his crime is not worse than that of any other murder, nor better. If he is eligible for parole under whatever the ordinary rules are, then he should get it. If not, then not. He's not a special person.

Parole grant is highly discretionary.  Generally speaking the Parole Board considers four areas:

1) public safety -  are there indicators that the individual no longer poses a threat to the public?  What are the (probable) odds the individual will not reoffend (commit the same or similar crime(s) again?  What are the odds the individual will commit any crime?

2) rehabilitation - what has the individual done to rehabilitate the deficits that were considered as contributing to the commission of their crime/life of crime?  Prior to sentencing a report is generated giving the psychosocial history of te individual, specifically focusing on possible contributing factors to criminal behavior.  While not a list of excuses, it does document areas where "the system" believes had the deficits (lack of education, history of drug abuse, poor family environment (early divorce/unmarried parent, familial history of crime, poor or non-existent employment skills/history of employment, and so forth) not existed the liklihood of commission of the crime/any crimes would have been lower.  Most specifically they are looking to see if te individual has attained a GED, completed more than one trades training program, attended substance abuse/sex offender/anger control programs, and the like.  For those with some college under their belts before incarceration they look to see if they served as tutors in the education programs, worked as clerks/aides, etc.

3) remorse - does the individual indicate that they "understand" that committing their crime(s) was "a bad thing"?  Does the individual now indicate possession of empathy?  Are they sorry for anything except having been caught?  Go watch the scene in The Shawshank Redemption - it is still pretty much like that.

4) public impact - how will the release of this individual impact the general public.  Parole Board members are appointed by the Governor.  How will their actions affect his political career and thus their continued employment and future employment?  Usually this is expressed in terms such as "due to the heinous nature of your crime" or "having shown utter depravity which cannot at this time be overcome despite rehabilitative efforts" or "due to the lengthy and continuous history of criminal behavior".

In other words, a parole hearing is a minstrel show on the part of the inmate and a crap shoot on the part of the board.  Except that modern parole hearings are not done with the inmate sitting/standing in front of te Board.  Interviewers are sent out to interrogate the inmate and review the prison records, and then submit a written report that is circulated among the members of the Board.  As soon as a majority vote is reached, the record stops circulating.

Sirhan Sirhan could have discovered not cures but methods of preventing cancer, the common cold, teenage pregnancy, halitosis, and dandruff, and he still will not be granted parole.  At least not during the normal period of time he is expected to remain alive.  Maybe if he outlives everybody who "remembers" the Kennedys as mythical figures who were going to save the world he might then stand a chance.  [Danny Vermin voice] Maybe. [/Danny Vermin voice]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
a parole hearing is a minstrel show

THIS^^^!!!!   and he can get parole  he just needs a terminal disease
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
How to get paroled after committing atrocious crimes:

Step 1: be Muslim

Step 2: kill in the name of religion.

Step 3: fabricate or exaggerate a medical condition.

Step 4: ???????

Step 5: Freedom!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »
Now if only Sirhan Sirhan accepts Islam?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner