Author Topic: Refurbished video cards for desktop?  (Read 543 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Refurbished video cards for desktop?
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »
I've been shopping around for a better video card than the on-board GPU (Radeon HD 4250) that came with my motherboard.  I've settled on the Radeon HD 6770 and have been looking for the best deal when I found this: XFX Radeon HD 6770

I didn't read the entire page since I was familiar with the card.  I saw that the "Item Condition" was New and the "Condition" under Description was New.  That price was a good $30 below normal price, so I jumped on it.  Only after finishing the transaction did I notice in the vendor's description that the item is "Refurbished".  Now, I know Geeks.com sells those cards as refurbished and their description blurb on Ebay was taken straight from their webpage, so I don't know if it's actually a refurb or new.  I've asked them for clarification.

However...

Would a refurb video card be ok?  I've used refurbed electronics quite a bit and have never had any issues.  A "refurb" can be anything from an open box return or a full rebuild with new caps, etc.  Also, stuff can be refurbed by the manufacturer or a 3rd party.  I'd trust a refurb from the manufacturer, but not a 3rd party.  My concern is that graphics cards tend to get abused by people trying to eke out the last bit of performance. 

What would you do?

Chris

Waitone

• friend
Re: Refurbished video cards for desktop?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
I've never used a refurb video card but I suppose it is no different than the refurb CPU's I buy.  I suspect the refurb part has to do with extracting a functional unit, cleaning it up, run it through a few diagnostic tests, package it and sell it.  I've also purchase refurb speakers with the same success.  Matter of fact, as I think about it, I've purchased a number of refurb products (not necessarily electronics related) that all worked just fine.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
Do they put a warranty on it?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »
90 days.

I've never had issues with refurbished electronics before, but that never included internal computer components (have purchased refurbished laptops and devices like ipods).

Chris