Author Topic: White House to announce $300M in aid Friday to make Detroit safer, erase blight  (Read 2905 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
White House to announce $300M in aid Friday to make Detroit safer, erase blight

http://www.freep.com/article/20130926/NEWS01/309260199/white-house-bankruptcy-aid-for-detroit-blight-removal

Nearly $300 million in aid for Detroit — from federal and state coffers, private businesses and charitable foundations — will be announced Friday as Obama administration officials visit the city to discuss what can be done to help eradicate blight, improve transportation, encourage new business and make residents safer.

The funding will include $150 million in blight eradication and community redevelopment, including $65 million in Community Development Block Grant funding — which had already been awarded over two years but could not be accessed by the city. An additional $25 million could help hire as many as 150 firefighters in the city.

Some $24 million in federal resources that had been tied up will go to repairing buses and installing security cameras, part of an overall $140-million investment in transit systems. And several charitable groups — the Ford Foundation, Kresge Foundation and Knight Foundation — will put millions into spurring entrepreneurship and creating jobs.

“Detroit historically had some major problems deploying grants and other resources, and so there could be a fair amount sort of stuck in the pipeline,” said Snyder, who was in Washington on Thursday. “Financial systems, accounting systems for the city of Detroit? They are a disaster.”

More tax dollars down the toilet.

They fouled their own nest, let them clean it up.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
White House to announce $300M in aid Friday to make Detroit safer, erase blight

http://www.freep.com/article/20130926/NEWS01/309260199/white-house-bankruptcy-aid-for-detroit-blight-removal

More tax dollars down the toilet.

They fouled their own nest, let them clean it up.

D-day can chime in, but it's my understanding that Detroit is already making a long, hard slog toward recovery on its own. It's slow and painful, but it's happening.

I've already seen a change in it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Shouldn't we bomb Detroit and force a regime change?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
Shouldn't we bomb Detroit and force a regime change?  ;/

No. Just threaten to bomb, and promise to ship guns to the residents rebels. That'll turn 'em around.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Sergeant Bob

• friend
No. Just threaten to bomb, and promise to ship guns to the residents rebels. That'll turn 'em around.

I think it would work as well in the country of Detroit as it did in Libya and Craptanistan!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

zxcvbob

• friend
D-day can chime in, but it's my understanding that Detroit is already making a long, hard slog toward recovery on its own. It's slow and painful, but it's happening.

Don't worry, Obama et al will give Detroit a bunch of tax money, then derail the recovery by micromanaging it.  It'll be just like Mogadishu eventually, which is the goal.
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
What do you want to bet a lot of those millions that are "stuck in the pipeline" were embezzled already?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

That would be a perfect reason for the fed.gov to get involved. Can't have recovery going on.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
Since it's the House that controls the purse strings, I'd like to see an audit of where & how El Presidente is getting the money . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
What do you want to bet a lot of those millions that are "stuck in the pipeline" were embezzled already?

thats just priming the pump for the looting about to begin
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
thats just priming the pump for the looting about to begin

Dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Yep, pretty sure the Detroit PTB, have already divvied it up to the connected pals and cronies.  Not one dime will be used to build or improve anything.  It will all be written off as "Outreach Efforts".

=|
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Don't worry, Obama et al will give Detroit a bunch of tax money, then derail the recovery by micromanaging it.  It'll be just like Mogadishu eventually, which is the goal.

You mean they will shoot down a Black Hawk and drag the dead National Guard troops through the streets????
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

zxcvbob

• friend
You mean they will shoot down a Black Hawk and drag the dead National Guard troops through the streets????

Not that specifically, more like the current conditions in Somalia.
"It's good, though..."

Azrael256

• friend
Not that specifically, more like the current conditions in Somalia.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Have any of you ever published a RFP/ITB for a government project?  $300 Million is barely enough to repaint city hall, or mow the grass in all the untended parks (so long as you do not insist on the clippimgs being collected and carted away).

It is also not quite enough to take the PTB from Detroit on a fact-finding trip to some mythical city that has risen from the ashes.

In many grant programs there is not even a full auditing required on an amount that small.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

JN01

• friend
Shouldn't we bomb Detroit

If we did, could you tell the difference?