Author Topic: Any Workaholics In The House?  (Read 1353 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Any Workaholics In The House?
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:11:54 AM »
I love the holidays. Nearly everyone wants to take time off to do family oriented things, which leaves plenty of overtime and doubletime for me. Catered food and homecooked meals at the job, no traffic going to & from, no household drama and more money to spend at after-Xmas sales.
Then again, perhaps there are non-celebratory folk out there who do other things during the holiday season besides work?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Any Workaholics In The House?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:00:48 AM »
I love the holidays. Nearly everyone wants to take time off to do family oriented things, which leaves plenty of overtime and doubletime for me. Catered food and homecooked meals at the job, no traffic going to & from, no household drama and more money to spend at after-Xmas sales.
Then again, perhaps there are non-celebratory folk out there who do other things during the holiday season besides work?

I'm a playaholic.  I'd rather go fishing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:14:31 AM »
I'm a playaholic.  I'd rather go fishing.
Same here.  I don't avoid work, but I don't work just for work's sake.  It helps that I'm salaried and not hourly, so I don't get paid extra if I work 12hrs vs 8 (except for a bonus if it's in support of a mission critical issue).  In fact, I put a fair amount of effort into avoiding future work by way of automation and monitoring systems.  That way, I don't have to be in the office as much and can work from home, work while traveling, etc.  It gives me the flexibility to spend more time with my family rather than in the office. 

I used to work at a company where it was almost a badge of honor to work a 12hr day.  Funny thing was, I got as much done in 8hrs as those folks did in 12 (yes, management noticed this and rewarded me appropriately). 

Chris

client32

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:21:55 AM »
I used to work at a company where it was almost a badge of honor to work a 12hr day.  Funny thing was, I got as much done in 8hrs as those folks did in 12 (yes, management noticed this and rewarded me appropriately). 

Chris

I wish management would notice here.  People still think that long hours automatically means hard worker. 
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:49:53 AM »

Chris

I wish management would notice here.  People still think that long hours automatically means hard worker. 
Sounds like the government....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »

Chris

Sounds like the government....
Some days I think the government would be an improvement.  Wink
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 06:05:53 AM »
[Sounds like the government....
I currently work on a govt project.  My customers (.gov types) notice my efforts and relay that to my managers.  At least that's what I read in my performance reviews. Smiley

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 06:13:29 AM »
I don't want to be a workaholic, but find that I often am. I work for the .gov and we're only allowed to carry over 240 hours of annual leave to the new year. I found myself at around 350 a couple of weeks ago and am frantically trying to burn it down to the allowed limit. Any I don't use gets taken away and that's money out of my pocket.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."