Author Topic: FedEx employee steals 146 guns to resell in Jersey  (Read 2272 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
FedEx employee steals 146 guns to resell in Jersey
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:44:31 AM »
Lovely. Stealing entire Bersa shipments.

Best part? They might get five years max, as opposed to something like an innocent person accidentally screwing up the configuration of their rifle, which is ten years.

Stock on a pistol? Ten years.
Steal and sell 146 guns illegally? Five years maybe, probably a year and probation.

Something is seriously screwed up with the laws, here. Tongue

FedEx employee charged with stealing 146 guns
by Jeff Whelan/The Star-Ledger
Wednesday August 13, 2008, 6:03 AM

A FedEx cargo handler stole 146 handguns from the Monmouth County facility where he worked and enlisted a friend to help sell the weapons at public housing projects in Jersey City and on the streets of Newark and East Orange, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The scheme began to fall apart when frustrated residents complained to Jersey City police, who then used a sting operation to capture the suspects, authorities said.

Federal agents are now trying to trace dozens of the stolen weapons, many of which they said were sold for between $300 and $500 each or traded for drugs.

"This is a huge number of guns. Our primary goal is to find out where the remaining guns are. We want them in our custody. We don't want them in the hands of criminals or gang members," said special agent Joseph Green, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The two suspects, Patrick Dolan, 28, of Keyport and John Sozomenou, 32, of Aberdeen, surrendered at federal district court in Newark today. U.S. Magistrate Judge Patty Shwartz ordered them both released on $200,000 bond.

They were charged with conspiracy to possess and sell stolen firearms and face up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Gribko, who is prosecuting the case.

The conspiracy began in October when Dolan stole a single handgun from the Federal Express facility in Eatontown, according to a criminal complaint unsealed today.

In May, he allegedly stole a shipment of 75 guns from a conveyor belt. The weapons were manufactured by Bersa in Argentina and destined for a southern New Jersey importer, authorities said. Days later, the complaint stated, he stole another shipment of 70 guns from Argentina.

But as Dolan grew bolder, authorities said, he and Sozomenou began raising eyebrows on the streets. Jersey City residents complained to police in May that two white males were selling handguns at three different public housing complexes, the complaint stated.

Tipsters said the guns, new and in their original boxes, were being sold out of a white Ford Bronco and a blue BMW, authorities said. One tipster caught the license plate of the BMW, which police traced to Dolan's girlfriend, according to the complaint.

Authorities used a confidential informant to set up a sting. The informant contacted Dolan and Sozomenou, who agreed to sell about a dozen handguns for approximately $300 apiece.

On May 29, the two suspects showed up at the buy in the Ford Bronco and were arrested. Police found a green army bag in the vehicle with eight Bersa .380-caliber handguns and one Comanche .22-caliber nine-shot revolver, according to the complaint. Authorities said all of the weapons had been stolen from the FedEx facility.

Police also recovered two loaded weapons hidden inside the steering wheel: a Bersa .380-caliber handgun, and a Bersa .40-caliber handgun, both also stolen from FedEx, authorities said.

Both suspects confessed, according to the complaint. They first were charged at the local level, but federal authorities, who can seek stiffer penalties, took over the case.

Greg Tomczak, who represents Dolan, and Peter Willis, who represents Sozomenou, both declined to comment today.

Jim McCluskey, a spokesman for FedEx, said Dolan was fired after his initial arrest in May. He said the company cooperated with investigators.

"It appears to be an isolated issue. We have very tight security procedures in place. We don't tolerate any type of illegal activity in our company," McCluskey said.

He said that in order to ship guns through the U.S. with FedEx, either the shipper or recipient must be a licensed manufacturer, importer, dealer or collector and the shipment must be in compliance with federal, state and local laws.

http://www.nj.com/newark/index.ssf/2008/08/fedex_employee_charged_with_st.html

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: FedEx employee steals 146 guns to resell in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »
Probably complained because either the guns were too expensive or they were being undercut.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:57:58 AM »
How much do you want to bet that because FedEx can't control its employees it's going to put into place a number of new shipping requirements that make US pay one hell of a lot more.

Just like UPS did a number of years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 07:13:03 AM »
How much do you want to bet that because FedEx can't control its employees it's going to put into place a number of new shipping requirements that make US pay one hell of a lot more.

Just like UPS did a number of years ago.

I'd say it would depend on how much heat they get from this case.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:16:59 AM »
My prediction? New Jersey politicians will ask why "saturday night specials" like Bersas are being sold, and ban them. It's a cheap and easy soundbite nonsolution that will make them look like they're being effective.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
Police also recovered two loaded weapons hidden inside the steering wheel:

shocked Thats pretty sneaky. Wonder how they found those? Unless they just willingly gave them up.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:58:46 AM »
Police also recovered two loaded weapons hidden inside the steering wheel:

shocked Thats pretty sneaky. Wonder how they found those? Unless they just willingly gave them up.
It's well-known that removing the air bag from the steering wheel makes for a great secret compartment that nobody will ever find.  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
complained to police in May that two white males were selling handguns at three different public housing complexes, the complaint stated.
See theres the problem, two white guys in the projects of Newark. Stuck out like a sore thumb.
Its scary just driving within 10 miles of those projects at less than 75 mph.
So exactly how many of them were sold or not sold yet?

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41:26 PM »
They were charged with conspiracy to possess and sell stolen firearms and face up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine

I wonder if they might face a separate charge for each stolen gun?  Did any of the guns cross state lines between hub and projects?  And might they also face State of NJ charges as well?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 06:56:35 AM »
They should be up for illegal importation since they grabbed the shipment before it hit the importer...