Author Topic: Why no drilling for oil?  (Read 19983 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Why no drilling for oil?
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
Here are some pictures I got from an email on the subject a while back.

Size of the site compared to the 19kk acres and the rest of Alaska.

Picture of the area in the winter.

During the summer.

And a picture from Prudhoe Bay in case you try to say the facility will destroy those few critters' lives.

DISCLAIMER:  I do not know how factual these pictures or the information in the email is.  Take it as it is:  A post on an interweb board.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »
You didn't address what I said earlier. If you allow drilling in ANWAR, why not open up drilling in the NPRA?  Hey, after all the NPRA was CREATED as our backup Alaska oil reserve.
Why not, indeed?  Open it up and if it is economically viable, relative to other alternatives, let 'er rip.

Also, our real reserve is not up in Alaska.  It is in the oil shale in Colorado, which hte Dems & eco-weenies also are blocking the development of.  It would likely become viable at ~$150/bbl oil.  With more oil trapped in the shale than Saudi has under its sands.

If you think everything in the country will just stop working and people will start dying off without oil, let's open up the wild life refugees in Texas and Louisiana that has oil first. That will probably take less than 1-3 years to get it started.

Three days. 

Until food riots, that is.  Because that is what the average grocery stores have on their shelves before their on-hand supply is exhausted.  Remove diesel fuel necessary to semi trucks from the equation and you have three days until people are killing each other in our major cities over food.

It goes downhill from there.

Yes, many people will die without oil.  People will starve, the economy will go tango uniform, and you'll see massive die off of human populations, and the environment would be devastated as they sought substitutes to keep warm. 

Deforestation, the killing of big game herds, untreated sewage dumped into the waterways, chemical spills unattended, and the like are just the beginning.

So, yeah, you'd have to be both a genocidal maniac AND desire the devastation of the environment to want to go petroleum-free.  Or just ignorant, if one were to be charitable.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »
You didn't address what I said earlier. If you allow drilling in ANWAR, why not open up drilling in the NPRA? Hey, after all the NPRA was CREATED as our backup Alaska oil reserve. If you think everything in the country will just stop working and people will start dying off without oil, let's open up the wild life refugees in Texas and Louisiana that has oil first. That will probably take less than 1-3 years to get it started.
What's so precious about ANWR that we absolutely must not drill there?

Why not drill in ANWR and Louisiana and Texas and the coastal areas and everywhere else?  Why should the enviro-wackos be allowed to control drilling in any of these areas?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »
Why not drill in ANWR and Louisiana and Texas and the coastal areas and everywhere else?  Why should the enviro-wackos be allowed to control drilling in any of these areas?

Good question.  Still, pressure against the enviromentalists has grown substantially, and is still growing.  I don't see it lasting much longer.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
  We can't drill in ANWAR because of the Caribou. Oh, yeah, I forgot there aren't any; we killed them all in the '70's with the pipeline... laugh

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 12:10:52 PM »
"Why should the enviro-wackos be allowed to control drilling in any of these areas?"

Silly boy, didn't you know that:

1 grim warning from 1 environmentalist to 1 Democrat prevents the deaths of 1 billion baby seals?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »
"You didn't address what I said earlier. If you allow drilling in ANWAR, why not open up drilling in the NPRA? Hey, after all the NPRA was CREATED as our backup Alaska oil reserve. If you think everything in the country will just stop working and people will start dying off without oil, let's open up the wild life refugees in Texas and Louisiana that has oil first."

Cool.

I'm all for opening up Texas, Louisiana, AND Alaska.

Nice side slip on my statement, as well.

I said, very distinctly, if ALL oil were to go 'POOF' tomorrow, all across the world, the results would be quite catastrophic.

I did NOT say that there will be catastrophic results if we don't drill in Alasak.

Although I can see how in your indignation you missed that subtle, yet important, distinction...  rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »
1 grim warning from 1 environmentalist to 1 Democrat prevents the deaths of 1 billion baby seals?
No way did they prevent the death of 1 billion baby seals.  But on the other hand maybe the baby seals grew up and either killed many billions of fish, they slowly starved to death, became polar bear food or so increased the seal herd population that they are all endagered from over population.

Conclusion. killing 1 billion baby seals saves many billions of fish and keeps the remaining seal population healthy.

I'm all for opening up Texas, Louisiana, AND Alaska.
Having lived with a well in my back yard as a kid, I see nothing wrong with putting wells anyplace oil can be found.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 05:18:02 PM »
You know what you are, Desertdog?

You're a BIIMBY...

Build it in my back yard...  laugh

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »

You're a BIIMBY...

I'd love to have a nuclear reactor in my backyard.....maybe the plant would be friendly and sell me the depleted uranium to use in my bullet molds..... grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 09:07:20 PM »

You're a BIIMBY...

I'd love to have a nuclear reactor in my backyard.....maybe the plant would be friendly and sell me the depleted uranium to use in my bullet molds..... grin

And the cooling reservoir would be stocked with fast-growing, feisty largemouth for you to catch.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008, 03:40:21 AM »

You're a BIIMBY...

And the cooling reservoir would be stocked with fast-growing, feisty largemouth for you to catch.  smiley

They can build one across the street two doors down. I don't like that neighbor and I'd rather have a smelly coal plant there than his damn car stereo.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
If we drill 2000 acres now, when will it stop? The next time we have oil shortage why not take another measly 2000 acres and so forth?

If we took another 2,000 acres from ANWR every year to continue drilling expansion it'd take 9500 years to cover it.

Besides, it's not like oil is only available directly below where you put the rig.  It sits in large pools, much like water does. You don't need to drop a well every 10 feet if you can just put one big in place.

It's like if you had a milkshake, and I had a milkshake, and my straw could reach across the room... aww forget it.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »

You're a BIIMBY...

Forget the fish......I want my own fire-breathing lizard that appreciates Japanese food as much as I do..... grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

macadore

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »
Why arent the oil companies drilling on the land they already have leased? 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
Why arent the oil companies drilling on the land they already have leased? 

The leases are for land that the oil companies think may have oil beneath the surface. There may be oil, there may not be oil. There may be oil but it would require drilling though hundreds of feet of rock to get to it.

They're essentially making a bet, and the bookie is the US government.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »
Forget the fish......I want my own fire-breathing lizard that appreciates Japanese FOR food as much as I do..... grin

Fixed it for ya.

Three days. 

Until food riots, that is.  Because that is what the average grocery stores have on their shelves before their on-hand supply is exhausted.  Remove diesel fuel necessary to semi trucks from the equation and you have three days until people are killing each other in our major cities over food.

It goes downhill from there.

Yes, many people will die without oil.  People will starve, the economy will go tango uniform, and you'll see massive die off of human populations, and the environment would be devastated as they sought substitutes to keep warm. 

Deforestation, the killing of big game herds, untreated sewage dumped into the waterways, chemical spills unattended, and the like are just the beginning.

So, yeah, you'd have to be both a genocidal maniac AND desire the devastation of the environment to want to go petroleum-free.  Or just ignorant, if one were to be charitable.
[\quote]

Yep, Long Pork would be on a many a APS'ers menu........ shocked
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

macadore

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
The leases are for land that the oil companies think may have oil beneath the surface. There may be oil, there may not be oil. There may be oil but it would require drilling though hundreds of feet of rock to get to it.

How is that different from drilling anywhere else?  They dont know any more about the oil under the new leases they want to purchase than they do about the ones they already have. In most places they have to drill through thousands of feet of rock to get to the oil sands. It is cheaper to drill on dry land than it is to drill offshore on in a mudflat. There has to be another reason why they are not drilling the leases they have..

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2008, 06:46:23 PM »
There has to be another reason why they are not drilling the leases they have..
I would hazard the guess that they have not serveyed the areas they have, thus they have no idea what is there.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2008, 08:38:06 AM »
ANWR is the solution, right?

Wrong. From CNN Money, today:

Drill, baby, drill.  Drill like there's no friggin' tomorrow.

To (mis)quote Kathie Lee Gifford: "Cody needs a new SUV!"
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »
Uhm...

I think the entire concept is to impact US oil supplies.

Drill and keep it domestic.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »
I'm very much aware of that, Mike.

Adding ANWR to the domestic sources of crude is still but a drop in the bucket, and is not the manna from heaven many think it is, nor will it alleviate fuel prices in the near term - thanks to industry start-up timing and congressional blundering. We will still be importing prodigious amounts of crude from Jihadistan, for a long time. Same old story - swords rattle, crude prices climb, and so forth. As was mentioned earlier, the easy (and cheap) domestic sources are pretty much already tapped, which makes other venues like oil shale and tar sands an economically viable option again.  Hell, even the Air Force is seriously looking at ways to make the coal seams around Minot AFB a usable source of jet fuel for the B-52H and KC-135 fleet.

It's somewhat amusing that folks in my neck of the woods are breathing a sigh of relief that gasoline went down to $3.70/gallon, while forgetting that it was $2.90/gallon as of last December. Will it ever get that low again?  I doubt it, but it sure was fun while it lasted.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39:50 AM »
And, once again, I don't see people viewing it as the solution to all of our problems.

Just about everything I've seen makes it pretty clear to me that people realize that it's a hedge, a means buffer prices while other methods of energy production are brought on line.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »

So, lifting the moratorium on drilling in ANWR & offshore will increase domestic production 1.3 to 2.8million bbl/day from a current 5m bbl/day. 

That is a 26%-56% increase in production.

In any other mature industry, increasing the output by that much in that span of time (~2 years, given current time required to go from zero to production) would be considered remarkable, outstanding, and any number of other superlatives.

But when it comes to the oil industry, it is "Ho-hum.  Won't have any effect on yada, yada, yada..."

Given that part of the current price of oil is due to speculation on the oil futures market, were the moratoria lifted, I would expect to see the price on crude oil go down.  Similar to the way the market reacted to GW's lifting of the executive ban on offshore drilling.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »
To review:

More supply = lower cost

Less supply = higher cost

Any questions ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.