Author Topic: Clinton Gun Control Plan  (Read 3318 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Clinton Gun Control Plan
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
So the first two parts of this three point plan we've all heard before (and hey, #2, lets start suing car manufacturers for drunk drivers). Part three though, has me perplexed. I don't understand what she's talking about. What difference does time make? They're a felon - they're not getting a gun anyway.

Sorry, it was only available as an image and I was too lazy to type it all:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Clinton Gun Control Plan
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »
If the background check doesn't come back  how do you know they are felons?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:37:11 PM »

A new ATF requirement: only clairvoyants can have FFL's.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »
Would make the "What caliber for?" questions more interesting.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
I just read an article about that, and they said it was the:

"Charleston loophole," a reference to the June shooting at a church in Charleston, S.C., by barring those with felony records from buying guns if results of a federal background check aren't returned within three days

I wondered if that was a true description of what happened, but it's difficult to find out since many sources are more agenda than reporting.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:48:49 PM »

What it means is if the background check doesn't come back (perhaps ever) you don't get your gun.  Currently when it times-out after 3 days, it defaults to "passed".

So they enact this law, then defund NICS or whoever does the checks, and voilà! they just banned all gun sales.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:54:19 PM »
The part about allowing victims to sue gun makers is out right bullshit, but we know that.
If they manage that I want to be able to sue:
The brewery/distillery/distributer and car manufacturer after a drunk driving crash.
If someone attacks me with a baseball bat I want to be able to sue the makers of Louisville Slugger bats. I don't care if they made the bat used, they have more money.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
So, how could background checks on private sales be banned executive order?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
What it means is if the background check doesn't come back (perhaps ever) you don't get your gun.  Currently when it times-out after 3 days, it defaults to "passed".

So they enact this law, then defund NICS or whoever does the checks, and voilà! they just banned all gun sales.
I doubt it would be defunded, but the NICS would make public complaints about staffing and problems while slowing down approvals and having unfortunate "system outages".

You more or less need a permission slip from the FedGov to buy a gun now.  That would be worse.  There is already a bad problem with late afternoon purchases on Saturday and Sunday at gun shows.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:18:33 PM »
I doubt it would be defunded, but the NICS would make public complaints about staffing and problems while slowing down approvals and having unfortunate "system outages".

There's precedent for it.  Restoration of gun rights for felons has been defunded for years.  Even without that, the slowdowns you talk about could be many months at a time, with half the approvals mysteriously getting "lost".
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:58:28 AM »
What about prosecuting those that attempt to "legally" purchase a firearm who are felons.

They are breaking the law just by the attempt.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:04:42 AM »
So the first two parts of this three point plan we've all heard before (and hey, #2, lets start suing car manufacturers for drunk drivers). Part three though, has me perplexed. I don't understand what she's talking about. What difference does time make? They're a felon - they're not getting a gun anyway.

Sorry, it was only available as an image and I was too lazy to type it all:

She wants background checks (passed successfully by, among others, the Roseburg OR and Isla Vista, CA shooters);

She wants to nullify PLCAA and blame manufacturers and retailers for the criminal misuse of their products by end-users, like we do for alcohol and automobiles (what's that?  We don't do that?)

And she wants to make it even more illegal for felons to buy firearms from a retailer.

Is there any part of her position that doesn't run straight past full-retard, past potato, and land firmly in turnip territory?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:05:23 AM »
I just read an article about that, and they said it was the:

I wondered if that was a true description of what happened, but it's difficult to find out since many sources are more agenda than reporting.

If I recall correctly it is "true"; but what was reported then but never mentioned since is this.

The background check sat on a government employees desk so to speak for two days before they started so it timed out, but wouldn't have if it hadn't sat for two days.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-admits-error-in-charleston-suspects-gun-background-check-1436548909

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
Hahaha, the clintons think they're defining bernie sanders out of the race because he's generally supportive of gun rights.

We'll see how that works out for them - guns are such a political loser that Obama didn't dare make speeches about them until his second term.  The Clinton team is seizing the moment alright - that point in the election cycle where serious candidates separate themselves from Ralph Nader.  You can guess which side she will end up on.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
If I recall correctly it is "true"; but what was reported then but never mentioned since is this.

The background check sat on a government employees desk so to speak for two days before they started so it timed out, but wouldn't have if it hadn't sat for two days.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-admits-error-in-charleston-suspects-gun-background-check-1436548909

Yep, I looked it up after this came up.  The arrest showed up right away, but because of trouble finding the correct jurisdiction the request for info never got a response.  Apparently the agent doing the check feels pretty torn up about it since the approval would have been denied if the request had gone to the right agency.

If Ms Clinton wanted to fix the inefficiencies that showed up in this case I would actually support that idea.  But something tells me the conclusion will be that three days isn't enough time to do a good check, so they will extend the max time to essentially forever, then cut the number of people doing the checks since there is no rush.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
Yep, I looked it up after this came up.  The arrest showed up right away, but because of trouble finding the correct jurisdiction the request for info never got a response.  Apparently the agent doing the check feels pretty torn up about it since the approval would have been denied if the request had gone to the right agency.

If Ms Clinton wanted to fix the inefficiencies that showed up in this case I would actually support that idea.  But something tells me the conclusion will be that three days isn't enough time to do a good check, so they will extend the max time to essentially forever, then cut the number of people doing the checks since there is no rush.

But it was even worse. There was that error, and the original background request came in two days before it was assigned to an examiner. If it had been assigned immediately, the second mistake would have been caught before the automatic approval.

Then shouldn't there be a follow up procedure and someone should have contacted him?

This whole thing isn't a failure of the law that requires more laws; its classic government employee incompetence/inefficiency. It will of course never show up in headlines that way.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
I can guarantee that, as soon as PLCAA is repealed (and someone successfully sues a gun manufacturer for a wrongful death), you will start hearing about car and booze makers getting sued for drunk driving deaths
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
I can guarantee that, as soon as PLCAA is repealed (and someone successfully sues a gun manufacturer for a wrongful death), you will start hearing about car and booze makers getting sued for drunk driving deaths

If there are successful lawsuits, I have to wonder how long it will be before someone sues the electric company for getting electrocuted. Or will society in general wake up to the absurdity before that point?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »
If there are successful lawsuits, I have to wonder how long it will be before someone sues the electric company for getting electrocuted. Or will society in general wake up to the absurdity before that point?

I'm surprised that no one has (or maybe they have) sued a medical school for the training/education that a doctor received, who is being sued for malpractice.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »

What makes you think it stops there?  The Democrats* are trying to destroy our industries (look what they've done to coal already) as part of their plan to reinvent America.  Turn us into a 3rd world hell-hole utopia, I guess.  Guns are a very high priority, but they are not their only priority. 

*I'm not sure the current crop of Republicans is much better.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
Or will society in general wake up to the absurdity before that point?

:rofl: At the rate things are going (gaymarriageandcaitlynjennerandotherSJWprojects) it will be quite some time.  :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
What about prosecuting those that attempt to "legally" purchase a firearm who are felons.

They are breaking the law just by the attempt.

That's just crazy talk...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »
Point #1.  The Chicago Tribune (I think) asked 100 felons recently where they got their guns.  Only 2 or 3 said at a gun show. (And if so that wasn't in Illinois as NICS checks are required.)  Most got them from family or friends or purchased on the street (which wouldn't require an NICS check).

Point #2.  How about suing the families of shooters for raising a defective person?

Point #3.  Okay, but let's say it does happen like in the case in Charleston, perhaps having the ATF or local police go and arrest the buyer and return the firearm to the seller?  Or does that make too much sense.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
Point #3.  Okay, but let's say it does happen like in the case in Charleston, perhaps having the ATF or local police go and arrest the buyer and return the firearm to the seller?  Or does that make too much sense.

Can't do that.  Guns are Bad Things, in and of themselves, with much bad juju, much bad mana.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
And crap, I forgot to buy some gunmaker stocks after Obama and Clinton started shooting off their mouths again. S&W is up 7% on fearmongering.