Author Topic: What do realtors do? (Brad Johnson, call your office)  (Read 3046 times)

What do realtors do? (Brad Johnson, call your office)
« on: March 19, 2006, 09:56:39 AM »
see the title.  what is a realtors actual function??  what advantage do i have in buying a house listed through a realty agency, versus buying from a private homeowner?

just curious, no flames intended.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 11:07:35 AM »
Not a damn thing, for the most part.

Actually the realtor is there as a conduit of information, to represent your interests, to advise you on the transaction.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 11:13:59 AM »
As a buyer, if you do not know the area, a realtor may provide that local knowledge and help you find what you want faster.

As a seller, a realtor may be able to move your house faster.

If you have the time to do your own homework and can follow instructions, you could likely do better on your own.

I use "may" a lot.  Some realtors are worthless as t!ts on a boar hog...and some are hustling muldoons that will make it happen.  Just because their card says "Realtor" means little.  If they insist on a contract, ensure that the eterms are favorable to YOU and that durations are VERYVERY short.  They DO NOT get months to sell your house before you move on to another realtor.

Note: I bought my current (first) house from a FSBO wihtout the aid of a realtor.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »
If you want to be able to have the largest pool of homes to choose from, you should pursue homes listed by a realtor as well as FSBO properties. For the most part they are two seperate housing markets. As a buyer there's not much reason to not use a realtor, the seller pays for the comissions. Some will say that this makes the price of the house higher, but I don't think that's necessarilly true. A good realtor will save you time only showing you properties that match your criteria and setting up all the appointments so you can see a bunch in one afternoon. And they may have knowledge or contacts that are valuable.

In my area the vast majority of houses are listed in MLS. I'd guess maybe 80% or so. So in this market if you were to shop only FSBO houses, you'd be shopping a much much smaller market.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 11:43:56 AM »
A individual can view all of the MLS homes through Realtor.com but a realtors have their own website that usually has additional photos. This can save you time from driving around only to hate the interior of the house.  They can also do the legwork for searching if your time is valuable.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 11:58:40 AM »
whats FSBO?

Justin

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 12:05:40 PM »
What do realtors do?
Annoy the everliving Hell out of me by making idiotic design requests.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »
"whats FSBO?"

For Sale By Owner

"what advantage do i have in buying a house listed through a realty agency, versus buying from a private homeowner?"

Well, you don't have to deal directly with the seller - who might possibly turn out to be psychotic.

We bought our current place directly from the former owner, and it was a nightmare.  I supposed we saved some money, but in retrospect a realtor would have saved us a lot of headaches and sleepless nights.  We had to hire an attorney AFTER the closing just to get the former owner to move out Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 12:43:57 PM »
I've bought/sold properties both ways.

On the sale of our last house, having a realtor on the job (she was a real go-getter) helped us tremendously since we were out on the road in our 18 wheeler during the closing process.  The buyer, although being pre-qualified/approved by their lender, had to jump through all sorts of additional hoops to get their loan approved.  Kept us hanging to the point where we were within our rights to cancel the contract and go to our written backup offer.  The realtor managed all of these vexing details for us, and advised us against allowing the buyers to move in before closing...which we weren't inclined towards in the first place after all of the delays.

Sometimes they are worth their salt, sometimes they are totally unnecessary.  The devil is in the details.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 12:58:28 PM »
soo.... basicly, they are just lube to the whole process, if you want the added convience and help?  and if thats the case, i wouldn't be shorting myself anothing going the FSBO route (ya'll can assume i have a very decent pool of knowledge to draw from)?

In that light, is there some sort of national listing of strictly FSBO stuff? (craigslist doesn't count)

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 01:02:06 PM »
Read through here for the other perspective...Why not get a realtor if you are buying?  Won't cost you anything at all and if it does, somebody's doing something wrong.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=2301

Greg

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 03:40:19 PM »
How much is your time worth? They're going to do the research, they're going to deal with _other_ buyer/seller, etc., etc... They also know who to go to for inspections, etc, etc... I used a friend/coworker's husband, who I trust implicitly.

If you've got the time to do comparative pricing, etc., etc., then fine.
Blog under construction

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 04:01:48 PM »
Nitpicky little point, here, but Realtor and real estate agent are not synonymous.  A Realtor is an agent who belongs to the National Association of Realtors. It's a membership thing. You agree to their code of ethics (and pay the dues)and you get to wear the pin.  Nothing more.
As a buyer you have nothing to lose by using a buyer's agent. Are you familiar with how to write up a binding offer that won't get thrown out of court should a disagreement arise?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 04:52:14 AM »
Quote from: garyk/nm
Nitpicky little point, here, but Realtor and real estate agent are not synonymous.  A Realtor is an agent who belongs to the National Association of Realtors. It's a membership thing. You agree to their code of ethics (and pay the dues)and you get to wear the pin.  Nothing more.
The chose the term "Realtor" because it sounds more dignified and professional than "salesman."  Any other difference is superfluous.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 05:13:14 AM »
The woman who worked with me and my ex-wife when we were house hunting was fantastic. If I ever sell this place, she's the first person I call.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 07:12:01 AM »
I use "may" a lot.  Some realtors are worthless as t!ts on a boar hog...and some are hustling muldoons that will make it happen.
Tell me about it - I have to work with both kinds. Every day. We're lucky here in Lubbock, most of the full-time agents are pretty good at what they do and they have the good 'ol West Texas work ethic. I understand that a lot of places don't have that luxury.

Back to baus44's original question... In short, the agent is there to represent your interests and help you through the buying process.

On the Buyer's side of the transaction that means making sure you have all the information about the house AND have all the necessary guidance to make informed decisions. It also gives you immediate access to information - via the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) - that might not be available any other way. Example, past sales information or potential past problems known to the agent but not disclosed by the seller. The agent should, if they are worth their salt, help you avoid the pitfalls, get you all the available information, guide you through the mountain of paperwork, help you coordinate with title companies and lenders, and generally guide you through the process in as smooth a way as possible.

Understand that the agent's job isn't to "get you a good deal". It's to help you find and purchase a home. It's a matter of perspective. Your version and the agent's version of good deals may not be the same (and often aren't). I've lost count of the times that I had a buyer set up with a home that met their needs logistcally, emotionally, and financially, only to have them shoot themselves in the foot over something as trivial as a few hundred dollars. They wanted to wrangle that last $500 out of the seller and it cost them the house they loved. One guess as to who they blamed for something that was completely their fault.

Also understand that not all states have Buyer's Agency (Texas does). With Buyer's Agency the agent is working for the buyer, and the buyer only. In states with no buyer's agency, the agent on the buyer's side is actually a sub-agent for the seller (i.e. represents the seller's interests). Always ask if you are being exclusively represented.

Unfortunately there are agents out there that live down to the general stereotype of the "gotcha" slime-ball pond scum. Their goal is immediate - wrangle as much money out of you as possible. That's patently bad business and is usually self-defeating. It generates ill will, potential legal problems, and no return clients. If I want to stay in business I people who trust me enough to do business with me again, and who will recommend me to others. Treating clients like humans instead of paychecks is just good business. If I keep their interests covered I have generated (hopefully) a long-term business relationship that is mutually beneficial. Even if they never buy a house again, they know people who do and will recommend me. Unfortunately, many agents haven't realized that, or are simply unable to comprehend the long-term ramifications of their business dealings.

One little note, there are times when the agent may be representing both sides (it's usually called an intermediary relationship). In Texas, at least, it must be disclosed up front. If it's not disclosed and you find out later, you have all kinds of nasty legal remedies you can pile on the offending agent (not the least of which is getting their license yanked).

Hope this helps!
Brad

p.s. - I must be doing something right - someone remembered what I did for a living and trusted me enough to ask my opinion! Thanks baus44, I don't think you realize how good that makes me feel.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:19:45 AM »
Over the last 33 years, we've bought three houses and sold two.  The same agent has handled all but the buying of the first (it was a for sale by owner).  The reason we keep using her is that she really WORKS for us.  She finds out what we want and then she hustles around and finds it.

The place we live now is a little farm with an old Craftsman home on it.  Pat spent almost a year finding it.

She has also found and sold houses for our kids, on our recommendation.  My son and his wife just bought a house (closing this week) that she found for them.  My daughter in law was very impressed that Pat spent a whole day with them looking at houses.

If you find a good one, hang onto him or her. Smiley

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 05:44:19 PM »
Brad- Just remembered you commenting on a few other threads about what ya did.  From as much as I can read on the net', You seem like a sincere and honest person who believes in what he does.  Quality always finds its way through (even on internet message boards) Wink

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 05:06:07 AM »
Yep, Brad was the one who ultimately talked me in to using a real estate agent to sell my house.  Glad I did--three weeks on the market and we got asking price while 7 other houses on my street sit without a contract, some since early December.  The "bubble" has definately burst here in south Florida.

On the buying side, we were referred to a great guy in Cary, NC with Keller-Williams--if anyone needs a buyer's agent up there, PM me.

One thing I cannot stand is when someone that I am paying for something does not have a sense of urgency when I call.  Call me selfish if you will...I don't care.  The one thing both of these agents have is a sense of urgency when I call.  I have no qualms about sending people to either of these guys.

Greg

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 08:00:21 AM »
I need to hire you guys to write my marketing materials!

Really, thanks for the compliment. I'm just glad I could help a fellow gunny. A little "pay it forward" never hurt anybody.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB