Author Topic: What do you do when you hit a slump in golf?  (Read 2554 times)

cosine

• Administrator
What do you do when you hit a slump in golf?
« on: September 16, 2006, 06:41:22 AM »
There's only about six weeks of golf season left here, I still haven't broken 100, and for the last two weeks I haven't been able to hit the little white ball at all. I just got back from the range, where I'd hit one ball fat, and top the next. My driver has developed a slice, something it has never had before.

What do I do? What do you do?

And the first one who says a golf course is a waste of a good rifle range is getting a virtual punch in the nose! Wink
Andy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 07:15:40 AM »
You could do what I did, and decide that hitting a little ball into a little hole hundreds of yards away isn't the best way to spend money and time after all. Tongue
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 07:27:29 AM »
cosine,

Everyone, no matter what activity , goes through "slumps".  Golf, Tennis, Shooting, Card Playing, Racing Cars...

We are human.

We humans compound the problem by "trying harder" , whether by actual doing the activity, or "thinking it to death".

Correct Basic Fundamentals and using tools that fit user to task are all that are required for any activity. The truth is, everything is Correct Basic Fundamental repeated and in doing so we get "better" , we "improve" and then we "build upon" these Correct Basic Fundamentals.

Stair-Stepping if you will. We humans get impatient, and instead of taking the next step, we want to take two steps at a time.  

Psych is a factor as well. Seems to be a threshold and past that that peak curve, we blow it. We simply have not repeated the correct basic fundamentals enough to be where "we" want to be.

Subconcious mind can work for or  against one.  If one goes to bed telling themselves " I cannot hit a golf ball" then the next day, sure enough one cannot.
On the other hand if one were to say before bed "I can hit a golf ball, and need to remember the correct basic fundamentals, one often awakes and the answer(s) are revealed.

You changed stance and need the left foot back to where it needs to be, crack the knee, swing at hips, head down, hold the grip like an egg, focus on ball, follow thru...

My observation is most folks take too fast a backswing, therefore getting out of position for when they do hit it.

Folks rush the entire process.

Stepping away and not stressing is good. That is another reason why folks mess up - they get too serious, and have less fun.

Go take some cut up golf balls and that old pitiful putter  you keep around just to have and piddle with putting at tin cans. Correct Basic Fundamentals are there, will be practiced, no scores, just piddling fun.

No worries about losing a good ball, no worries about that old pitiful putter getting knicked, scratched or dirty.

Buddy of mine has nice fly rods. Been awhile since he went fly fishing and could not do squat out when he went out.

I suggested he get a Starter Flyrod kit, like at the box store. He bought a 6wt, fiberglass, and it was heavy and not as lively as his nice custom ones.
Got to piddling in the yard using yarn. Had a ball. Wife whom never cared for flyfishing before - afraid of hurting or breaking a "nice rod" started piddling.

Wife got a Starter kit too.

These two nuts, went to a farm pond, and instead of using nice flys he ties, used the less expensive ones in the kit.

Wife starts chasing grasshoppers, and turns a rock over and finds a bug or worm...funny. These two got into bream, crappie and bass. Had a ball.

Just got back to correct basic fundamentals and fun, for her, no worries of busting a rod or "having to do it right", in fact she was using hers like a cane pole some.
'I want to be a little girl again for a little bit"

It is only a fun activity - keep it simple.  The Advancements will come when least expected.

Tip: Coffee cans are easier to get golf ball in than soup cans.  Tongue

Steve

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
a golf course is a waste of a good rifle range

Sorry, couldn't resist
Have no desire to play pasture pool, just never saw the point.
enjoy.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 09:08:48 AM »
Although I'm not a player I knew a guy once who was a proponent of the average golfer playing "double bogie golf". His philosophy was that if you only expect to shoot a double bogie on each hole your mental state will be much better. In other words you won't be putting so much pressure on yourself for not making par every hole and beating up on yourself for it. By playing double bogie you can relax a bit, HAVE SOME FUN and when you DO shoot better than a double bogie on a hole you'll be happy with yourself as opposed to being all frustrated. I've always thought that was a pretty good philosophy.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
sm,

Thanks. Your advice was just what I needed. I went back to the fundamentals, (way back to the fundementals), when I went back to the driving range today. I only took an 8 iron (left the rest of the bag at home), didn't try to do anything with my swing, didn't wear a glove, just wore my tennis shoes, and only focused on swinging the club and hitting the ball in whatever way my body felt like doing (and in how I remembered doing back when I could still hit the ball. I didn't try anything new, I didn't think about any specific movements while swinging, etc.). The results were miraculous.  Only two topped balls out of a bucket of thirty, and my old distance and trajectory came back. Thanks again.

You know, sometimes one just needs to talk with someone about the difficulties one's having. It just can be almost impossible to figure out by oneself what is wrong, but an extra head, even without seeing anything, can help tremendously.

280plus,

Actually, I play just like your friend advocated playing, except my goal is bogey golf. I know bogey golf is well in my abilities, because earlier in summer I was playing a lot of nine hole rounds in which I would only end up a couple (2 or 3) strokes over bogey golf. Needless to say, I was really happy with those scores. It's just been recently that bogey golf seemed to have slipped away from me (even double bogey golf slipped away for a couple for rounds. I was shooting scores like 117 for the last couple of weeks.)
If I play double bogey golf, I consider that average for my abilities, and am satisfied with how I play. (I've done it before, and know I can do it.)
If I play between bogey and double bogey golf I'm a little bit happier.
If I play bogey golf I'm pretty happy.
If I play better than bogey golf (I did it once this summer, on a quick nine holes [I played a lot of nine hole rounds this summer, never could carve out the time for a full 18 hole round] I shot only 7 over par!) I am ecstatic!
Andy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 02:55:23 PM »
a golf course is a waste of a good rifle range
Yeppers.

I do not grok this "golf" thing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 02:56:10 PM »
I don't play all that often, but have played for a long time. I almost always suck. My keys are to get out of my head (the point of recreation for me) and have  good time. I only go with friends who I know like to laugh and have a good time, and will do the same on the course.

Then just focus on a brief few fundamentals.

If that doesn't work, pawn those little bastards and buy .22.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:35:19 PM »
Quote from: SpookyPistolero
If that doesn't work, pawn those little bastards and buy .22.
Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Cheesy
Andy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »
I just played my best round of golf ever this weekend.  I shot an 82!  My goal for the summer has been to break 90.  I've hit 90 twice, but never broken it.  Not until this weekend, anyway.  I'm not sure what I did right, but whatever it was it was VERY right.

Anyway, slumps...

You get into a slump when you develop some anomoly in your swing.  Unless you know exactly what is causing your problems, and exactly how to correct it, the WORST thing you can do is go to the range and belt out bucket after bucket of balls.  All you're doing is reinforcing whatever bad habit you've picked up.

The ideal solution is to spend some time with a trusted instructor getting some lessons.  Let him identify your problem and help you correct it.  Problem with golf lessons are that they're expensive, and 4 out of 5 instructors will only make your swing worse (unless you take MANY lessons from him, enough to completely wipe out your own swing and replace it with the instructors).

Another solution is to stop playing for a few weeks or a few months.  Let your body rest for a while, and let your muscles unlearn whatever bad habbit they've picked up.  When you pick it up again you'll need a few weeks to warm up, but you'll probably find that your problems have gone away.

The third solution I can offer is to go out and buy an expsneive new set of clubs.  I've never understood what this can do for a golfer, assuming he has a reasnably good set of clubs to begin with.  But this is what every other golfer seems to do when he wants to get better in a hurry, so mebbe it works.  Ha...

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 08:38:21 AM »
Back to basics.

Work on your short game, especially chipping and putting, since that is where most of your strokes are added.  On a par 4 hole, two strokes are on the green putting for the hole.  That's half of your strokes right there.

So, ignore the driving range and go to the putting green.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 09:58:04 AM »
Fly320s

Agree.

Back in the day when I did play, the Pro said I had a natural back-swing and other nice compliments.

Except.

When it came to woods, even a 3 wood.  For some reason I could "do okay" with a 3 wood, the rest of the woods, I messed up MY natural  abilities  and my private lessons learned in correct basics.

I was not allowed to use Woods. In fact the Pro would remove them from my bag if he saw them .

Only reason I was allowed to carry them, was if someone else playing with me were going to use them. I am serious, he would be out on the course, checking on things in a golf cart, and he would check my bag.

From the tee, 3 iron for the long hits. I hit that 3 iron better than the 2 iron.

I was into "Less is More" and "Correct basics and fundamentals".

Seriously, the only clubs in my bag were  Irons 3. 5. 7, and 8 , and Putter.

I carried an extra 7 iron and putter, these were my non-matching piddling stuff, and liked to use them on the golf course...since I used them in patures and everywhere else just knocking some cut up balls to and fro.

I played for exercise, being out with folks I liked or clients. Sure we played the long side, but the short nine(s) were less crowded, and more scenic.  I/ we used to shoot par using minimal gear.  I have eagled them short nines.

Par three and second shot, chip up and in.

I walked most times and used a very simple , lightweight canvas bag.

[]--Later I could hit a 3 wood , very well and accurate, then the Driver. Ironic, after getting where I could, I chose not to use them.  In fact I gave that whole set, bag and all to someone else, and I used a set of Spaulding's that fit me better [ has the pro check for fit and he agreed] and that is what I used, and my Custom made putter. ---]

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:43:06 AM »
Back when I could afford it, I play golf and shot.  But that was then.

I'd get bummed out in a slump and couldn't hit anything right.  Then I saw the light.  One day I noticed the degree of inability to hit a golf ball was directly related to the lenght of the club.  Longer the club the more I sucked.  Solution?  Drop down in length until I could hit the ball reliably.  By that time I quite worrying about score and concentrated only on my swing and ball striking.  I played more than a few rounds driving with a 7-iron.  

My advice is to forget the score and drop club selection down to where you can hit it reliably.  This year is over.  Concentrate on preparing for next year.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 02:05:15 PM »

Poor Man's Live Pigeon Shoot.

Safety of course.

One person hits the cut off golf balls , another shoots them with a shotgun.

Great fun and practice.

If these "Driving Ranges" wanted to stay busy all the time - they would allow us Shotgunners to show up.  Tongue

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 03:34:33 PM »
I've always hit a ball when I played golf.  Never hit a slump.  Do slumps go farther than balls do?  Do slumps float or sink when hit into a pond?  Are slumps easier to find in the woods or swamps where one mostly hits them?  What is the benefit of hitting slumps?

Curious, me.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 03:56:49 PM »
petition the club to make better use of a perfectly good rifle and small artillery range.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Chris

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 05:45:55 AM »
No joking, but I shot the balls.  Literally took the balls to a friends farm, placed the balls on the side of a hill, and picked them off with a scoped .22.  Man, do they fly when you hit them right.

As to the golf, I used to play quite a bit.  Once upon a time, I played golf with my wife once or twice a week (9 holes).  The came kids...and a transfer to the adult felony prosecutor's office...then the position with the drugs task force...then coaching soccer...then cub scouts...then swim lessons...  

Anyways, for me, it was all about my attitude.  When I truly had an attitude of "I could care less", I did much better.  A pro told me it was because my body was relaxed, my swing was more natural and fluid, and the absence of tension allowed any minor errors to self-correct.  If I got serious, tensed up muscles trying to hit harder, or correct suspected problems in grip, club face angle, etc, and I would top it, or slice, or just do it wrong.

the key may be to relax,  If you are competitive, like most of us around here, the worse you do, the more you will tense up, and get even worse.  If you can maintain an attitude of "I don't give a fu$%", you might do better.  I once shot a 45 (best round ever) wearing cut-off shorts, a big t-shirt, running shoes with no socks, and a Smith 649 tucked in my back right pocket, as I was on-call.  I didn't care, I was killing time.  And it worked.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 07:14:11 PM »
HTG,
I plan on taking lessons next year, we don't have enough time left to golf/practice this year to make it worthwhile. I'd love to buy expensive new clubs, but I gotta keep the gun fund growing. Wink I know what you mean about banging balls at the range, I've never been one for doing that myself. I've never hit over 75 balls at one time at the range, I usually buy a medium bucket (50-60 balls), hit 'em, and leave.

Fly320s,
Believe me, it's not the short game which is my problem. It's getting to the green which is my problem. I only average one three putt per nine, and the rest of the greens are pretty much evenly divided between one putt and two putts. (That's the result of the lot of cheap putting practice on the floor of my bedroom. It really paid off this summer.) Granted, my chipping could still use a little more work (well, my putting could too, but it's the only part of my game which I'm really satisfied with right now). Chipping, I'm usually only good for getting the ball within 15-20 feet of the hole, rather than inside that "golden 8 feet."

Waitone,
Good idea. I think I'll play my next round with just my 6 or 7 iron and up and see how I do. Thanks.

Grampster,
Nah! *sticks out tongue* Tongue

cas700850,
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've been trying really hard to improve, and I'm probably trying too hard. I shot my best rounds this summer ( a 45 on the front nine on day, and a 51 on the back another) when I was just playing, never expecting or trying to score well. I think I'll go out and just play as it comes, rather than trying to force playing well.

sm,
As usual, I really like your outlook and philosophy of the game. I think for the rest of the year I'll just relax, play for fun, and simplify how I play. I'm seriously considering taking most of the clubs out of my bag, just keeping in those I hit really well (7 wood, 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron, PW, lob wedge, putter).
Andy

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 07:46:44 AM »
Got no drive, or no aim?

Hmmm... try relaxing and letting the club "fall" more than actually swinging it.  In other words, don't try to hit it hard, just try to hit it correctly.

If that doesn't help hit from the front tees. Cheesy

crt360

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »
I don't play enough to have a slump.  Pretty smart, huh?  I like golf, but I'd get sick of it if I played once a week.  What somebody said about chipping and putting is true.  I have a consistently decent drive off the tee, but I could lower my scores from 100 +/- to mid 80s if I spent more time on the chipping and putting.

You could always move down here where golf is never out of season.
For entertainment purposes only.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 10:55:26 AM »
Cosine,

My disclaimer:

Although I am a pilot, and doctors and pilots are notorious golf hounds, I am not a golfer.  I gave it up when I realized that my golf score and bowling score were always in the same neighborhood.  Yep, I gave up on bowling, too.

I think a golf course is a good place for a shooting range, airport, or park.  You know, something I approve of.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
Thrown your clubs in the Wabash River and vow never to play again.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 03:07:21 PM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Thrown your clubs in the Wabash River and vow never to play again.Cheesy
Huh. Would the Root River work? Tongue
Andy

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 05:14:32 PM »
Thrown your clubs in the Wabash River and vow never to play again.
Around here we call that "Pulling a Dean", after a guy we used to know named Dean.  Totally upset after missing a putt, he bent his putter into a horse shoe shape and threw it into the lake.

Next hole he wanted to borrow a putter from somebody.  Nope.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.