Author Topic: What did YOU do for Father's Day? DUW  (Read 1288 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
What did YOU do for Father's Day? DUW
« on: June 22, 2005, 09:27:15 AM »
I was able to swing a couple of days off, so Dad and I ran up to Colorado for some father/son time. We had a blast and saw some great scenery!

Thought y'all might like to see some of the highlights...

The first place we headed was Creede, Colorado via New Mexico - Santa Rosa, Las Vegas, Mora, Tres Ritos, Taos, and over to Chama. From there we zipped through Pagosa Springs and up over Wolf Creek Pass. Has a small delay due to some construction, but the scenery was beautiful!

From there it was on through South Fork and Wagon Wheel Gap to Creede, which I think is one of the most ruggedly beautiful places on earth. An hour or so in 4wd got us here...

From Creede we went around to Montrose via the Lake City and the Blue Mesa cut through, with a quick side trip to the canyon of the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River. From Montrose it was on to Ridgeway and Telluride. We were on the road just as the sun was setting. You think the view was worth the drive?

We overnighted in Telluride (which is long on looks, character, and price, but short on actual ameneties unless you are drinking, stinking rich, or just feel the need to blow some money...). For a mere $200 we got a lumpy bed, no A/C, and a room right over main street across from the busiest bar in town. At least they threw in a decent breakfast - your standard bacon, eggs, and toast. Good thing, too. The menu price for the same thing was $15! My father, the urban sophisticate, decided to take a morning stroll. Hint - he's NOT the one with the backpack. Needless to say, we got some strange looks from the jetset crowd.

Then it was down the other side of the mountain following the Dolores River. We went by a campground that I've heard about since I was old enough to remember. Seems Dad and the fam camped there in the 50's. It snowed so much a tree fell across the river and crushed both tents. It's a family legend, now I know where it happened. A little place called Priest Gulch. Dad on the ridge overlooking the campsite where it happened...

From there it was a mad dash back home to Lubbock via Farmington, Cortez, Bloomfield, Cuba, and Bernalillo (north of Albuquerque). By the way, highway 165 from Bernalillo to Sandia Park looks like a spiffy shortcut. NOT! Unless you just have no other way to blow an hour or so it should be avoided at all costs! It's a few miles of pavement followed by 6 or 7 miles of rutted switchback that took FOR-FREAKING-EVER to get through. Dad is famous for his shortcuts that aren't, and this ranks right at the top!

Even though we went 1200 miles in three days, we had a blast. All in all a good trip.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 09:33:15 AM »
Cool!

My father lives in LA (the state, not the city) and I live in OR so all I could get him was a card.

Wayne

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 10:38:43 AM »
Now that's what I call a road trip!

And to answer your question, yeah great scenery. One of these days I have to get out west.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 07:12:39 PM »
And you didn't stop and say howdy? Dang! I'm crushed Tongue

Great pics Brad. Spent some time in that area myself, and it is flat out awesome!

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 02:39:44 AM »
Mostly I sat around my apartment and was happy for my dad.  The rest of the family and he are in DC at the Iwo Jima survivor's convention.  He's only one of four members from the Cartarret crew who could make it.  I couldn't make the trip but he called and let me know how great it was.  he says the monument is great, and the Cadets at Annapolis gave them all a super welcome when they visited.

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 06:50:43 AM »
That is a really nice drive.

My dad is working on a Cabin in South Fork.  Went up there earlier this summer.
Creede is a neat little town.  You should go around the 4th, the mining competition is fun to watch.

Did you go and find Bob Ford's original grave site?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 07:50:34 AM »
I went over to my parents' house and helped my brother thoroughly clean everything in sight.  My dad hates gifts and will take back anything you give him, but he is a neat freak.  It took us almost 40 years but we finally found a gift that made him happy.

Then, because he's Lebanese, my dad insisted on making his OWN Father's Day dinner (because it would be an insult for someone else to prepare food for him and would imply he was incapable of providing for the family).  So we feasted on kibbee (raw and baked), tabouli, labneh, salata, zytoun and halvah, and then we cleaned all over again.