Author Topic: Telling a real diamond from a fake?  (Read 9074 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Telling a real diamond from a fake?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
If someone doesn't tell you which is which... none.

The price is about ten times lower for a cultured vs natural diamond.

Yup...hence the whole "it's artificial" stigma which really bothers me...it's a diamond...who cares if it was dug up, or made in a lab, if it's tetrahedral carbon crystal, it's a diamond.

The fluorescence levels of synthetic and natural can be different depending on processes, as can isotopic ratios, but really...who cares?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 03:02:03 PM »
Yup...hence the whole "it's artificial" stigma which really bothers me...it's a diamond...who cares if it was dug up, or made in a lab, if it's tetrahedral carbon crystal, it's a diamond.

The fluorescence levels of synthetic and natural can be different depending on processes, as can isotopic ratios, but really...who cares?

I'd prefer a laboratory diamond -- I know it wasn't mined using slave labor or helping to fund African warlords.
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »
Well, it's not a real diamond. I took it two two jewelers and both said the same thing. They put some little device with a probe to the "stone", and it indicated it wasn't a diamond.

At the first store, I told the young lady behind the counter to just toss it in the wastebasket, which she did. As I walked out, I saw her from the corner of my eye take the stone (or whatever it is) out of the wastebasket and over to a work area. I gave it a couple of minutes, then went back in the store. Another woman was at the counter and I told her I had an idea for a practical joke to play on my wife, and would like the fake diamond from the trash. She rummaged around and couldn't find it, then said, "oh, Tammy has it over there", pointing to a table with a microscope and other gear.

I couldn't figure out why she'd be doing that, but it made me suspicious, so I took it to a second store just to be certain. It still didn't change into a diamond in that time.

I left it with the cute young lady in the office at the gym just in case someone is looking for it. Besides, it gives me another excuse to talk to her. (Actually, I look for excuses for her to finish the conversation and walk away. I just love watching her walk away ;) ).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
Marginally off-topic:

At the first store, I told the young lady behind the counter to just toss it in the wastebasket, which she did. As I walked out, I saw her from the corner of my eye take the stone (or whatever it is) out of the wastebasket and over to a work area.

That kind of thing happens with lotto-type tickets.  Clerk will run the ticket and say it's not a winner, you tell them to chuck it, and they retrieve the ticket when you leave and pocket the winnings.  Doesn't even have to be a big winning ticket.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »
What's the difference between real and artificial?

Artificial one doesn't have flaws.

If made correctly (ie not intentionally downgraded), there is no difference except the artificial is likely better quality. But I believe artificial stones are supposed to be doped to differentiate the two.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
With a real diamond with flaws, it might be possible to find the owner of the diamond. Jewelers 'map' the flaws in the stones.

As far as distrusting evaluations...

Several years back I wanted to pawn an old engagement ring given back to me by an old fiance so I could buy a rifle (should have just bought a rifle in the first place instead of an engagement ring) :P.
In a nearby town, there were two pawn shops about a block apart.
Pawn shop owner #1 examined the ring and gave me a price that seemed like a real lowball price, so I left and went to the other shop down the block, who gave me a price about $5 lower. I walked back to pawn shop #1 and they guy there greeted me by saying "I knew you'd be back."
I turned around and walked out and didn't go back. It felt like the two shops were in cahoots with eachother, probably #1 phoning #2 and telling him there was a mark on the way over with a engaement ring with $XX offered.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 03:36:49 PM »
I left it with the cute young lady in the office at the gym just in case someone is looking for it. Besides, it gives me another excuse to talk to her. (Actually, I look for excuses for her to finish the conversation and walk away. I just love watching her walk away  ).

So you won't ask her out for coffee but you're giving her diamonds  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
So you won't ask her out for coffee but you're giving her diamonds  :P

Maybe you could skip the drama and just start paying her alimony now?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
Marginally off-topic:

That kind of thing happens with lotto-type tickets.  Clerk will run the ticket and say it's not a winner, you tell them to chuck it, and they retrieve the ticket when you leave and pocket the winnings.  Doesn't even have to be a big winning ticket.

Terry, 230RN

In Orygun, all the lotto tickets have UPC codes on the back, and the places that sell them usually have a scanner you can use to see if it's a winner or not. Helps prevent that sort of thing.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erictank

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
In Orygun, all the lotto tickets have UPC codes on the back, and the places that sell them usually have a scanner you can use to see if it's a winner or not. Helps prevent that sort of thing.

They've had those on the self-service machines here in VA for a few years now.  You can even choose to redeem winning tickets (up to a certain, likely-fairly-small value which I do not know) right at the machine - as long as you want to buy more lottery tickets/scratcher tickets.  But it'll tell you, when you scan the bar code, exactly how much your ticket is worth.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
Marginally off-topic:

Terry, 230RN

That's why I initial the backs of the tickets, watch them as they check and ask for the tickets back.

RUss

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
I wonder if the diamond testing machine is just testing for conductivity of the stone?  Diamond is carbon, and carbon is conductive.
The various types of fake stones are not conductive, SFAIK.
Could you use a DVM to test a suspect diamond?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »
The bigger question is how to tell a real diamond recipient from a fake  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
I wonder if the diamond testing machine is just testing for conductivity of the stone?  Diamond is carbon, and carbon is conductive.
The various types of fake stones are not conductive, SFAIK.
Could you use a DVM to test a suspect diamond?

Actually diamond is a semiconductor, and when undoped, is an extremely good insulator (so is zircon) if you are talking electrically conductive.  If you are referring to thermal, then yes, diamond has the highest known thermal conductivity (except for CNT's and graphene, but those are visibly different).

Graphite is electrically conductive due to the ability of charge to carry across sheets as it contains mobile electrons due to its unsaturated ring structure.  The electron mobility of undoped diamond is near zero due to its fully saturated tetragonal structure
Unlike in metals where high electrical conductivity and high thermal conductivity go hand in hand (as both are due to electron mobility), in covalent crystals like diamond, thermal conductivity is due to phonons moving in the lattice--and their speed is a function of bulk modulus (stiffness).  As diamond has the highest modulus (again, excepting CNT's and graphene), it has the highest thermal conductivity (that's what the "breath test" tests, btw).

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Thanks for the education, birdman.  Any speculation on how a diamond tester works, as mentioned in an earlier post?  Is it measuring electron mobility in some fashion, or would zircon and other materials make that easy to spoof?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
Thanks for the education, birdman.  Any speculation on how a diamond tester works, as mentioned in an earlier post?  Is it measuring electron mobility in some fashion, or would zircon and other materials make that easy to spoof?

It's just measuring thermal conductivity (more accurately transient thermal diffusivuty) by seeing how much current it takes to heat a surface in contact with the stone a certain amount in a given amount of time. Not can tell real from fake, but not real from artificial.  Real from artificial depends on any contamination or doping (or micro-engraving, but that is a different aspect) yielding different flourescence.