Author Topic: Strange CA thermal anomaly makes ground temp rise to 812 degrees...  (Read 6562 times)

The Annoyed Man

Re: Strange CA thermal anomaly makes ground temp rise to 812 degrees...
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »
Well sir, I know the abandoned coal mines under Scranton, PA caught fire and burned for years.

Centralia, Pa is still burning I believe.

Wow.  So I guess that was what the movie Silent Hill was based off of?

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
Well sir, I know the abandoned coal mines under Scranton, PA caught fire and burned for years.

Centralia, Pa is still burning I believe.

Wow.  So I guess that was what the movie Silent Hill was based off of?

Yep it is.

Is Silent Hill based on a real place?

While the supernatural and religious elements of Silent Hill are fictional, the story of a town ravaged by the fires of its own mining industry is true. Centralia, Pennsylvania was a coal mining community of some 1,000 people. In 1962, a trash fire set in an abandoned mine site ignited a dormant vein of coal. Fumes from the underground blaze, cracks and sinkholes formed in the unstable earth, and other problems eventually led to the evacuation of the town. Although millions of dollars were spent trying to extinguish the blaze, it still burns beneath the town, making it nearly uninhabitable. Despite this fact, some residents, including the town's longtime mayor, remain firmly grounded in Centralia.

One of Silent Hill's screenwriters, Roger Avary, encountered the story of the town while working on revising the screenplay and incorporated elements of its history into the film. (Source: http://silenthill.ugo.com/features/realsilenthill/default.asp)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/faq#.2.1.11

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »
"Drill there, drill now!  Think of the grass children."

No no NO!

More drilling is not the answer!

If you drill now, you won't have more mine fires for at least 10 years!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
By pouring water in there are they risking causing rocks to explode?

If you had one on your property would you tell anyone or would you just plumb for steam and go off the grid?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »
It seems a LOT of these mine fires were started by burning trash dumps. They used the leftover holes for dumps and when they caught fire they touched off the exposed coal seams. I never knew it was so prevalent.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
Are there any coal seams under DC? I'm sure we can group buy thermite.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
It seems a LOT of these mine fires were started by burning trash dumps. They used the leftover holes for dumps and when they caught fire they touched off the exposed coal seams. I never knew it was so prevalent.

You never knew that?

You're originally from Pennsylvania, right?

I thought everyone knew that the state sport is filling holes in the ground with trash...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »
Actually Silent Hill the movie is based on Silent Hill the game series. Though in the first game there was a lot of fog mostly due to the PSX's hardware limitations though I believe there was a half assed explanation.

Now if you meant that it was the idea for the whole coal fire part then I agree.
Look, tiny text!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »

You never knew that?

You're originally from Pennsylvania, right?

I thought everyone knew that the state sport is filling holes in the ground with trash...
No, I'm originally from New Haven, CT. My family moved to Scranton in ~ 71 when I was 14 and then Mt Cobb a couple years later. I graduated, joined the Nav and except for the last couple reunions and a trip to Steamtown I have never been back. I went to Bishop Hannon for a couple years and never knew a thing about the roundhouse. Then I went to North Pocono HS. Funny though. You get on the train ride in Scranton about two blocks from BHHS and it terminates at the old depot about two blocks from NPHS where we used to hang out. When I realized where the hell we had gone to and stopped at I was like, "Holy S***, will you look where we're at!"  shocked

Never knew the whole trash hole sport thing.  grin

From what I could tell at the reunions another sport is to get killed in car accidents. They're like squirrels out there. I'd say half the HS "Dead List" is car accidents.  I figure it's the narrow windy roads.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 02:03:40 AM »
"From what I could tell at the reunions another sport is to get killed in car accidents."

Pretty much, yep.

Roads are twisty, alcohol is a major factor in many such accidents, and it normally happens while they're on the way back from a rousing round of filling a hole in the ground with trash.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 03:17:02 AM »
 cheesy

yea, they do seem to love their beer.  shocked

I drew several looks of shock and awe when I said, "Yea, I don't drink much beer these days."  grin

Oh, to fill in a blank, the family moved back to Hartford, CT area while I was in which explains why I never went back. I think about retiring to the backwoods, I love it out there. But then again, I don't want to move out there just to fill holes with trash, set coal seams on fire and get killed in a car wreck. Or eaten by a bear, that would suck too...  undecided

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 05:56:45 AM »
Well, the good thing about Pennsyltucky is that bear attacks are VERY rare.

Bear find virtually all the food they need in piles of trash that have been put in holes in the ground.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »
Ah, see, the pennsyltuckians have a plan...  laugh

No I did a little walk along the gravity railroad beds up in the mt cobb area and there I was way into the woods when it dawned on me that i could easily become bear chow (lot's of black bear around there) and had nothing but a damn walking stick to prevent it. I decided to skedaddle right back on out of there. Funny I used to walk the same trails as a kid and thought nothing of it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 11:00:54 AM »
You would have been just fine had you taken some trash to put in a hole in the ground.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »
You would have been just fine had you taken some trash to put in a hole in the ground.

And a match to light it on fire  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
I see, to appease the bear Gods. It all  makes sense now...  grin