Author Topic: Strange computer problem  (Read 1055 times)

DJJ

• friend
Strange computer problem
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
I've got Windows XP. There are suddenly strange things happening. I'll sometimes get an error message when I click on one of my Favorites in IE that says something like, "The shortcut "" (empty quotation marks) is invalid - check the shortcut properties page". Other times they work fine.

Sometimes in the Favorites list, the little folder icons won't be there; there will be something more generic looking; other times they'll be there.

Most mysterious, when my Favorites shortcuts do work, I'll come here, and I won't be logged in. I'll log in OK, look at a couple of threads, then I'll get a "Page cannot be displayed" message, which persists no matter what I do. If I enter any URL then, or Home (msn.com), I get nothing but a white screen. I close IE, and open it again, and it works (Favorites may or may not), but when I come back here, I'm logged out again. Plus, some (not all) of the avatars and smilies don't show. In fact, I'm seeing only the first 3 smilies above the text window; the rest look like recessed squares. Any speculation?

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Strange computer problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »
Mmm, why are you using Internet Exploder in the first place?

More seriously, I think the problem is with whatever you're using to connect, or possibly your network options - not Windows itself.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:03:57 AM »
Only semi computer literate, and IE has always seemed to work. And for the moment, after a restart, it seems to be OK.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:24:27 AM »
download firefox that's what I did to fix IE problems  laugh

2swap

• friend
  • : 4 5 ;
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
download firefox that's what I did to fix IE problems  laugh

I can agree. Firefox is somewhat untiny, but it is not as vulnerable as IE.
: spin
  92 47 124 45 45 58 emit dup emit emit
  begin 8 emit dup emit swap 2swap key? until ;