Author Topic: Strange how the smallest things can make a big difference.  (Read 846 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Strange how the smallest things can make a big difference.
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:05:14 AM »
Been doing some work on the Vic lately.  Today I decided to tackle a door panel rattle that's been bugging me for a couple years.  Turns out it was a simple matter of missing screws.  When I had the stereo system revamped a couple years ago the installer conveniently forgot to put back two screws that hold in the center of the panel.  Fortunately the fix was simple.  A couple of retaining clips, some #10 x 1.5" screws, and about half an hour were all it took.  Rattles and squeaks gone. 

While I had the door apart I also noticed the speaker mounting adapter left large gaps on two sides of the speaker. In essence, the speaker was functioning as if it was hanging in open air.  I pulled the speaker and lined the adapter with foam weatherstrip to make everything nice and air-tight.

Wow!

The system has always sounded pretty good, but I had no idea how much better it could sound.  Under five minutes and a few cents worth of foam, but the effect was pronounced.  The front speakers had always been a bit tinny and bass-deficient. No longer!  In fact, the response is so much improved I was able to move the crossover frequency from 250Hz all the way down to 80Hz without a trace of popping or clipping.  The fronts now sound as full and forceful as the rear units, making for an incredibly improved listening experience.  I spent the better part of an hour re-EQ'ing everything to compensate, taking the time to really fine-tune the system.  The end result is a order of magnitude improvement in everall sound quality. Me likey!

No more rattly squeaks and even better tunes.  The Brad is a very happy camper!  =D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:12:19 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Strange how the smallest things can make a big difference.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »
For want of a Nail......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
I've owned a couple dozen of old cars in my lifetime, so here's a tip from experience:

When squeaks and rattles can't be solved by tightening or replacing screws, strategically placed squirts of Great Stuff works wonders.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:16:10 PM by Declaration Day »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »
bigger amp for sound system works too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
When squeaks and rattles can't be solved by tightening or replacing screws, strategically placed squirts of Great Stuff works wonders.

Maybe.  Me? I prefer to solve squeaks and rattles the old fashioned way... by applying the proper ratios of elbow grease and correct replacment parts. ;)

bigger amp for sound system works too

700 watts so far.  =D

Brad
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:03:01 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
Maybe.  Me? I prefer to solve squeaks and rattles the old fashioned way... by applying the proper ratios of elbow grease and correct replacement parts. ;)

I'm that way if the car in question is worth it.  

I drove some real pieces of crap back in the day that lasted six months or less.  On those cars, when a rattle required more than a screw or was difficult to get to, out came the Great Stuff.