Author Topic: Iraq War over  (Read 24003 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Iraq War over
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »
How would we feel if the Chinese came in and shot/hung all the IRS and ATF agents  ???

=|

Ask me that question when the IRS and ATF drain marshes and force an entire culture into starvation, gas their own people en-masse, and murder dissidents.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
How would we feel if the Chinese came in and shot/hung all the IRS and ATF agents  ???

=|

That their methods were a bit extreme, but we agree with the overall goal?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
Ask me that question when the IRS and ATF drain marshes and force an entire culture into starvation, gas their own people en-masse, and murder dissidents.

Waco ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
That their methods were a bit extreme, but we agree with the overall goal?

Ok, so you welcome our new overlords  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2011, 01:11:01 PM »
A rare, relatively isolated occurance != a continued pattern of brutality and murder

If i add this smiley, does my opinion have more weight?

=|

I get what you're saying... but come on dude. The US isn't even comparible
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
I'd also like to point out that publicly disagreeing with administration policy on teh interwebz would be a very different prospect in a saddam-led iraq than it is here in the US
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
I'd also like to point out that publicly disagreeing with administration policy on teh interwebz would be a very different prospect in a saddam-led iraq than it is here in the US

Yeah, he was a certified bad guy.

Also, a US ally at one time.  Didn't we sell him the gas that was used on the Kurds...?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »
So, the fact that a previous administration made some huge errors means we should not attempt to rectify them?

By that logic, any nation we've ever previously had a relationship with is forever immune to consequences when they do terrible things
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
So, the fact that a previous administration made some huge errors means we should not attempt to rectify them?

By that logic, any nation we've ever previously had a relationship with is forever immune to consequences when they do terrible things

That's what administrations do, make huge errors  =(

Anyway, I am glad the most of our folks are out of harm's way now.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
Was it an error when we were involved in a cold war? It's akin to being allied with Pakistan now, despite the fact that they're not really our friends, but we need them (maybe).

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »
Was it an error when we were involved in a cold war? It's akin to being allied with Pakistan now, despite the fact that they're not really our friends, but we need them (maybe).

You know the saying about keeping friends close and enemies closer.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
You know the saying about keeping friends close and enemies closer.

Yeah, but you do that and some guy gives you an orange, you wind up standing with him in a bar, and then some wiseguys try to strangle you.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
How would we feel if the Chinese came in and shot/hung all the IRS and ATF agents  ???

=|

How do you feel about France's participation in the War of Independence?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »

I don't get the connection ... had the Kurds declared independence ???

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »
Yeah, he was a certified bad guy.

Also, a US ally at one time.  Didn't we sell him the gas that was used on the Kurds...?

According to SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute)
America provided 1% of Iraq's Weapons.
57%, the majority were provided by the former Soviet Union.  The next highest was France at 13% followed by China at 12%.  Brazil, astoundingly, sold them 2% or twice what we did.  BTW, Libya tied with us at 1%
I don't recall, specifically, who sold Iraq the gas he used on the Kurds, but IIRC it is essentially concentrated insecticide and is not difficult to make at all.  I think we may have provided a "precursor product."  

Aliiances -- shockingly -- change.  In WW1 we were allied with Italy, then we fought Italy in WW2 until it surrendered.  We were ostensibly allied with the USSR during WW2 as well and look how fast THAT changed when the Nazis went belly-up.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2011, 12:08:47 AM »

Do you think France participated because they wanted to see the US as an independent nation?.....or because they had a national interest in weakening England?......

Intent means a lot.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2011, 12:35:18 AM »
According to SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute)
America provided 1% of Iraq's Weapons.
57%, the majority were provided by the former Soviet Union.  The next highest was France at 13% followed by China at 12%.  Brazil, astoundingly, sold them 2% or twice what we did.  BTW, Libya tied with us at 1%
I don't recall, specifically, who sold Iraq the gas he used on the Kurds, but IIRC it is essentially concentrated insecticide and is not difficult to make at all.  I think we may have provided a "precursor product."  

Aliiances -- shockingly -- change.  In WW1 we were allied with Italy, then we fought Italy in WW2 until it surrendered.  We were ostensibly allied with the USSR during WW2 as well and look how fast THAT changed when the Nazis went belly-up.  

Don't be realistic, dude. It ruins all the fun.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:53 AM »

And we have re-paid that debt over and over and over and over and.....................
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »
1. It is a pleasant surprise for us that the Americans are leaving. God willing, things will be better because the Americans are the only excuse that the terrorist groups, Al Qaeda and the others, have to continue. They are behind all the sectarian conflicts.

Eh, not so much.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
Do you think France participated because they wanted to see the US as an independent nation?.....or because they had a national interest in weakening England?......

Intent means a lot.....

Yes, and?

The fact of the matter is, if France and Holland were led by non-interventionists, there'd be no Constitution, no American independence, no individual liberty.  Interventionism does have it's shining successes.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
Aliiances -- shockingly -- change.  In WW1 we were allied with Italy, then we fought Italy in WW2 until it surrendered.  We were ostensibly allied with the USSR during WW2 as well and look how fast THAT changed when the Nazis went belly-up. 

Beware of foreign entanglements  ;)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »

How about "Beware of foreign wars?" 
However, had we not fought the nazis, the european continent might now be ruled by some incrdibly nasty thugs.  And I have no desire to guess how far out their influence would have spread since 1945.
What is meant by "entanglement" anyway?  No trade with other countries?   [tinfoil]  Nah, I don't think so.
Not so long after 1776 we went after the Barbary Pirates, and then there was the War of 1812.....we weren't exactly well prepared for THAT war. Was it a "foreign entanglement?"  How about the Barbary Wars?

If we were never to ally ourselves with a country in need, as was Britain in 1941, what kind of ally would we be?  And remember; two can play that game.  What would happen should we wind up in need of another country's assistance in the future?  Would they not recall the last time they needed our help and we'd responded; "sorry, some dead white guys who founded America warned us about foreign entanglements, so you're on your own."  What then?

I think that philosophy might have worked in 1776.   But I have serious questions about it working well now.

Quote from: Niccolo Machiavelli, in 'Discourses on Livy'
It is impossible for a republic to remain long in the quiet enjoyment of her freedom within her limited confines, for even if she does not molest others, others will molest her, and from being thus molested will spring the desire and the necessity of conquests.

I suspect the Grand Master of Dirty Politics probably would agree.......... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »
What is meant by "entanglement" anyway?

GW explained it pretty well.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
And apparently never ever sell any guns and ammo overseas for fear it may one day some future decade from now be used against us. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
Anyway, I am glad the most of our folks are out of harm's way now.

Honestly, I'm not.  It's going to be much worse next time.  And there will be a next time.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016