Author Topic: "They just want the right to marry the person they love!!!"  (Read 24694 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: "They just want the right to marry the person they love!!!"
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »
And by doing so, they ruin it for people with a legitimate medical need [for marihuana]

In the same way, I assume, that open-carry advocates ruin it for people with a legitimate need for over-under shotguns.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
In the same way, I assume, that open-carry advocates ruin it for people with a legitimate need for over-under shotguns.

Your analogy is not analogous.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2012, 12:16:52 PM »
Your analogy is not analogous.

In what way?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/blog/the-libertarian-case-against-gay-marriage/

So the article says that gay marriage should be opposed because the concept helps the Democrats? I will be certain to mention this to my gay Republican friends.  Perhaps they did not receive the memo.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
So the article says that gay marriage should be opposed because the concept helps the Democrats? I will be certain to mention this to my gay Republican friends.  Perhaps they did not receive the memo.

The last two paragraphs sum it up neatly. The author is a gay "libertarian" BTW.

It is a stupid fight.

The legal issues are secondary to social acceptance, at the point of the states guns if necessary. If they win they lose, you don't gain acceptance through the force of the state.

But the legislative agenda of the modern gay-rights movement is not meant to be useful to the gay person in the street: it is meant to garner support from heterosexual liberals and others with access to power. It is meant to assure the careers of aspiring gay politicos and boost the fortunes of the left wing of the Democratic Party. The gay-marriage campaign is the culmination of this distancing trend, the reductio ad absurdum of the civil rights paradigm.

The modern gay-rights movement is all about securing the symbols of societal acceptance. It is a defensive strategy, one that attempts to define homosexuals as an officially sanctioned victim group afflicted with an inherent disability, a disadvantage that must be compensated for legislatively. But if “gay pride” means anything, it means not wanting, needing, or seeking any sort of acceptance but self-acceptance. Marriage is a social institution designed by heterosexuals for heterosexuals: why should gay people settle for their cast-off hand-me-downs?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:57:36 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »
Wait a second here, you are saying that asking for equal legal protections is the same thing as demanding at gunpoint to be liked??

This is another odd assumption - how does legal recognition of gay relationships force people to like it???  Does legal protection for prayer force people to like Christianity?  No wonder people get so upset about religious symbols in public - by your reasoning, they're being forced to adopt christianity every time it is displayed lawfully.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
Wait a second here, you are saying that asking for equal legal protections is the same thing as demanding at gunpoint to be liked??

This is another odd assumption - how does legal recognition of gay relationships force people to like it???  Does legal protection for prayer force people to like Christianity?  No wonder people get so upset about religious symbols in public - by your reasoning, they're being forced to adopt christianity every time it is displayed lawfully.

The modern gay-rights movement is all about securing the symbols of societal acceptance.

I bolded the relevant part for you. It is not about actual acceptance but about the appearance of acceptance and the ability to use the force of the state against those who do not grant said appearance.

If gay "marriage" were sanctioned by the state, I am already certain what your reaction will be to the first company to refuse to offer gay "spousal" benefits, even were it Catholic Charities. (Or, should I say, especially?)

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
Fistful, the assertion was made by you and others that the tradition of marriage excludes gay relationships.   

And where did I say that?

And heterosexual marriage hasn't always been about child rearing and social stability (that notion appears to be fairly modern).

Please explain.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2012, 10:51:05 PM »
I thought this was common knowledge?