Author Topic: Habersham County Sheriffs: killing pastors and burning babies  (Read 24815 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Habersham County Sheriffs: killing pastors and burning babies
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
Right, although there probably some sort of middle ground between burning down the neighborhood and evicting everyone until bubba runs out of water and either offs himself or gives up and comes out.

Cutting off power and water usually results in the alleged giving up within 24 hours.   Rarely will they make to 48.  People have to sleep sometime.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
Cutting off power and water usually results in the alleged giving up within 24 hours.   Rarely will they make to 48.  People have to sleep sometime.  ;)
Sure, there are options available outside of Tommy Tactical storming the fort, but if someone gets to the point that they are cranking off rounds at passers by or cops in my neighborhood, I no longer particularly care about preserving their life.  It isn't worth 24 to 48 hours of my family and a dozen or two of our neighbors being dispossessed and forced into hotels (or your parents' couch if they'll let me!) to soft-touch the wannabe sniper.  If we're going to outfit and pay for a bunch of paramilitary cops, that's exactly the kind of scenario that they exist for.

That said, if the locals lacked a SWAT/ERT type team, waiting the jackwagon out seems reasonable.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »
Sure, there are options available outside of Tommy Tactical storming the fort, but if someone gets to the point that they are cranking off rounds at passers by or cops in my neighborhood, I no longer particularly care about preserving their life.  It isn't worth 24 to 48 hours of my family and a dozen or two of our neighbors being dispossessed and forced into hotels (or your parents' couch if they'll let me!) to soft-touch the wannabe sniper.  If we're going to outfit and pay for a bunch of paramilitary cops, that's exactly the kind of scenario that they exist for.

Doesn't take a SWAT team or a bunch of fancy crap.  See "killdozer."  Add a slit for a rifle, and one officer with a semiauto .308 can deal with a holed up redneck whose "cover" is a standard residential exterior wall.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
Doesn't take a SWAT team or a bunch of fancy crap.  See "killdozer."  Add a slit for a rifle, and one officer with a semiauto .308 can deal with a holed up redneck whose "cover" is a standard residential exterior wall.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »
Well a swat killdozer would need about $300 worth if tactical flat black spray paint applied to it before cops would feel comfortable using it-its their gang color.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »

The original killdozer took out a good chunk of a town.  You don't think it could deal with one bozo in a house?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »
The original killdozer took out a good chunk of a town.  You don't think it could deal with one bozo in a house?
No ... not arguing that.  Just trying to figure out if you think that is really a better way to go than a SWAT team.  I mean, a SMAW would work too, but that probably isn't the best solution, or the most flexible for other scenarios.

Although, the way things are going these days there'll be a good chance that your local SWATties will have an armored vehicle too.  So there's that.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
Although, the way things are going these days there'll be a good chance that your local SWATties will have an armored vehicle too.  So there's that.

I have on good authority those soon to be retired A-10's are going to go to metro police depts.

Just joking. sort of. Maybe some of you remember the BATF trying to get hold of the surplussed OV 10 Bronco's, I think it was in the eighties.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:09 PM »
I have on good authority those soon to be retired A-10's are going to go to metro police depts.
But they will be free!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »
No ... not arguing that.  Just trying to figure out if you think that is really a better way to go than a SWAT team.  I mean, a SMAW would work too, but that probably isn't the best solution, or the most flexible for other scenarios.

Bulldozers are relatively cheap and easy to maintain, and have lots of other uses for a municipality.  They're also not particularly glamorous, so less conducive to the tacticool mentality.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
Bulldozers are relatively cheap and easy to maintain, and have lots of other uses for a municipality.  They're also not particularly glamorous, so less conducive to the tacticool mentality.
Are bulldozers really all that cheap and easy to maintain?  Also, pretty sure maintenance becomes more of an issue as you up-armor a vehicle.  Plus, the added armor would necessarily result in drastically reduced visibility, thus limiting the killdozer's usability in other roles.

As to glamour ... eh ... paint it flat black and put SVAT (Special Vehicles And Tactics) on the side and it'll be almost as glamorous as the rest of the armored trucks cops are getting.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
Are bulldozers really all that cheap and easy to maintain?  Also, pretty sure maintenance becomes more of an issue as you up-armor a vehicle.  Plus, the added armor would necessarily result in drastically reduced visibility, thus limiting the killdozer's usability in other roles.

Hey, a bulldozer worked for John Wayne in one of his WW2 flicks. Was it Fighting Seabees? Don't remember the title, just vague recollections of The Duke single-handedly fighting off the entire Japanese army with a bulldozer (and maybe a 1911).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »
As to glamour ... eh ... paint it flat black and put SVAT (Special Vehicles And Tactics) on the side and it'll be almost as glamorous as the rest of the armored trucks cops are getting.

Aha!  The cure for tacticool!  We need a Federal mandate that all milsurp hardware in the hands of police departments be painted and maintained in a tasteful shade of baby pink, with teddy bear and daisy graphics. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »
Aha!  The cure for tacticool!  We need a Federal mandate that all milsurp hardware in the hands of police departments be painted and maintained in a tasteful shade of baby pink, with teddy bear and daisy graphics. 

My daughter could work that gig. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »

Though you're joking, I believe that would really be a "cure" for a lot of the militarization of both personnel and assets in law enforcement. Perhaps not pink with flowers, :) , but I believe there is a big psychological factor to appearance that affects both LE and those they serve. There's a big difference between how we perceive the Andy Griffith type of cop in a khaki "business casual" uniform that includes a tie, and "Joe Armored Tacticool".  I certainly wouldn't want to constrain LE in the field to office dress attire and shoes, but dressing them in EMS type of clothing and color (though some of that is getting pretty tactical as well) would, I believe, considerably change perception, and perhaps, attitude. The same with the equipment they use and vehicles they drive. I believe a lot of European police departments choose non-intimidating colors and design for their uniforms and vehicles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »
Though you're joking, I believe that would really be a "cure" for a lot of the militarization of both personnel and assets in law enforcement. Perhaps not pink with flowers, :) , but I believe there is a big psychological factor to appearance that affects both LE and those they serve. There's a big difference between how we perceive the Andy Griffith type of cop in a khaki "business casual" uniform that includes a tie, and "Joe Armored Tacticool".

I wouldn't recommend a tie in the field, but I can tell you that there's a huge difference in perception between the TXDPS "Texas Tan" uniforms or many sheriffs' lighter khaki, and virtually all local PD's "blue" black uniforms.  That also seems to translate at least somewhat to their attitudes, though I suspect it's more of a reflection of the hiring and training policies of the person(s) who chose the uniforms.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
I wouldn't recommend a tie in the field,

I thought that cops wore clip ons?

I agree on the uniform argument.I'd add that a less tactical cop *might*have less of a "us vs.them"attitude as well.
jeff w

I like onions!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
I suspect the uniforms are a result of the attitude, not vice versa.  Those batman belts just don't go with beige . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
I thought that cops wore clip ons?
They do.

Not a terrible idea.  Tactical teams could wear all white with lace trim.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Not a terrible idea.  Tactical teams could wear all white with lace trim.

Lace 'n' Mace!!   :police:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »
I'm not making any suggestions of course, but it's somewhat coincidental that the following thread is right above this one at this moment:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=45414.0
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
Refusing to pay now means they're going to pay a LOT more once the civil suit is finished...I'd imagine that their attorney is taking that one on contingency.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth