Author Topic: Presedential Oath  (Read 1499 times)

Turkey Creek

Presedential Oath
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »
Anybody have any ideas why the Presedential Oath was/is different than the Vice Presedential oath? The words "against all enemies foreign and domestic" were included for Biden but not in Obama's. These words are standard in the military oath for service. I remember them well when I took mine so many years ago.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Presedential Oath
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
Each president recites the following oath, in accordance with Article II, Section I of the U.S. Constitution:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
- http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/pihtml/pioaths.html

As for the Veep,
Unlike the president, the United States Constitution does not specify an oath of office for the Vice President. Several variants of the oath have been used since 1789; the current form, which is also recited by Senators, Representatives and other government officers, has been used since 1884:

“ I, A— B—, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.[8]
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_President_of_the_United_States
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »
Perhaps he doesn't mention all enemies foreign and domestic, cause that means that he would have to defend the country against himself? :P

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »
The Founding Fathers feared a King.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »
The Founding Fathers feared a King.

TC

Just the anti-federalists, actually.  Certain Federalists, I won't be rude enough to point them out (coughHamilton*cough), thought a King under a different title would be pretty nifty.

* Hamilton was nearly lynched by a mob of vets from Lancaster, PA in June 1783.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.