Author Topic: backscatter x-ray on the streets  (Read 8156 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
backscatter x-ray on the streets
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2010/08/24/full-body-scan-technology-deployed-in-street-roving-vans/

U.S. law enforcement agencies have purchased some vans that use backscatter x-rays, ostensibly to look for bombs, but more likely to look for whatever they feel like.

The privacy implications deeply disturb me, and worse, what if they use those things on houses or other buildings?

I'm also not excited about the extra irradiation these things cause.  By themselves, a few of these things are no big deal, but if the policy is that anything below a certain threshold is allowed, pretty soon all sorts of similar devices will be used, and the aggregate exposure may start causing statistically significant increases in cancer.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:52:15 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: backscatter x-ray on the streets
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Ugh.  This makes me nauseous.   =(

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
Am I one of the few folks who is not thrilled to be irradiated by my gov't?
* IR laser directed at my windshield to detect my "speed"
* X, K, and Ka band radar to do the same
* X-rays in the OP
* Am I missing anything?

Perhaps we ought to set up some multi-spectrum units at all cop shops and federal buildings to bathe those in employee parking in the warm radiation they direct at us.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »
Am I one of the few folks who is not thrilled to be irradiated by my gov't?
* IR laser directed at my windshield to detect my "speed"
* X, K, and Ka band radar to do the same
* X-rays in the OP
* Am I missing anything?

Perhaps we ought to set up some multi-spectrum units at all cop shops and federal buildings to bathe those in employee parking in the warm radiation they direct at us.

I'm thinking we need to.  If it's not a risk, why would they oppose me putting a backscatter webcam at the entrance to a federal building?  >:D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Privacy implications aside, the LEGAL implications actually delight the dark parts of my mind.

This is blatant over-reaching.  If ANY prosecution is attempted based upon one of these vans acting as a primary cause of law enforcement action, they'll be off the streets in a new york minute.

There's no probable cause, there's no reasonable suspicion.  There's no commercial transaction to hide behind to call such an invasion of privacy a "voluntary screening."  After all, if I don't want to be backscattered, I can fly myself or I can avoid commercial air travel.  There's no way to avoid a van randomly scanning anyone/everyone around it on city streets.

I also wonder how this works considering particular wiretap laws.  It's no different than a small spycam underneath a person's clothes or (if used through a building) inside his/her home.

Count me in with the guys with tar, feathers, pitchforks, torches and rifles, if a judge actually approves of this when the inevitable case comes up.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
Also, didn't SCOTUS rule this sort of thing verboten on a routine basis when it ruled thermal imaging used to detect pot growers was not up to snuff?

The thermal imagers were at least passive.  The critter in the OP is slamming folks with radiation.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »
It doesn't matter if its not admissible in court. The point is to find the target. Then if a suspect is detected, other officers are directed to find some probable cause as pretext to search or arrest the target. The target would absolutely never know what triggered the investigation.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
bingo!  theres the slippery slope thing if all they did was catch bombers i would care less if they just went and summarily put a bullet in their ear.  its the rest of it that is scary
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »

Any portable (and preferably affordable) X-ray detectors on the market?

[tinfoil]
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »
Any portable (and preferably affordable) X-ray detectors on the market?

[tinfoil]

They're called Geiger-Müller counters.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
I better line my safe with aluminum foil.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »
Though Reiss admits that the systems “to a large degree will penetrate clothing,” he points to the lack of features in images of humans like the one shown at right, far less detail than is obtained from the airport scans. “From a privacy standpoint, I’m hard-pressed to see what the concern or objection could be,” he says.

;/
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 12:35:36 AM »
So Reiss shouldn't have a problem if we only x-ray him a "little". Bare bulb generator, anyone? ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:04 AM »
;/

So Reiss shouldn't have a problem if we only x-ray him a "little". Bare bulb generator, anyone? ;)

I was thinking of having him set one up pointing at his kid's bed for a month nonstop.  If it is so safe, why not?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:21 AM »
Boy.  Dont ya love being test subjects.  Like the jail in LA, "testing a device" for the military, or is it military hardware that was not used that has made its way to LE.  Nothing good can come of this, reminds me of the "Standing Army" the founders were concerned about.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/24/la-jail-introduces-new-nonlethal-laser-beam/
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »
They claim the exposure is the equivalent of "15 minutes of flight in an airplane," but does anyone actually have the exact amount this thing is putting out in R/H (Röntgens per Hour) and an average amount of time a scan against a human target runs? I've yet to see any hard numbers regarding that, only the claimed equivalency.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 01:12:56 AM »
All I know is I was more than a little pissed off when I realized that an SSA office in Colorado started using this tech for security. I've already dealt with enough radiation in my life, thanks. :(

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 04:10:37 AM »
All I know is I was more than a little pissed off when I realized that an SSA office in Colorado started using this tech for security. I've already dealt with enough radiation in my life, thanks. :(
What? Are you saying you don't want to be safe? What do you have to hide? :police:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
From some of the pictures, they're using high enough levels of X-ray radiation to image people through the sheet metal bodies of vehicles.

That suggests a rather potent X-ray source to me . . .  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »

If this was used solely for its stated purpose, looking for bombs, then fine.  But let's be honest, it will only be used for that purpose on very rare occasions.  There are not that many bombings in the US.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
How long before the first "He's got a gun!" incident? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »
Not long. This has the potential to go the route SWAT did. Narrow mission at first, only to be used in select circumstances, graduating to "let's us it for more mundane crap to justify budget concerns" and "officer safety".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:02:40 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »
What? Are you saying you don't want to be safe? What do you have to hide? :police:

My main issue is that they asked me to please remove items from my pocket that they should not have known were there and were not illegal.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »
what items? and hows colrado law on things you can bring in a gov bldg with the perquisite signs? i know my leatherman is a bozo nono in gov bldgs in dc
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »
My main issue is that they asked me to please remove items from my pocket that they should not have known were there and were not illegal.
Sarcasm is hard to convey in text =|. Trust me, I don't want to be x-rayed on a daily basis either [tinfoil].
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila