Author Topic: Chris Rock Netflix Special  (Read 202 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Chris Rock Netflix Special
« on: March 05, 2023, 11:14:17 AM »
I've never really watched much Chris Rock, not because I don't like him, but just because I didn't think I'd like his comedy style. Man, that's changing.

I just saw a couple of clips from his special, and man I was both busting out laughing and saying "Right on!" He has some great zingers on cancel culture, victims, Meghan Markel, and Will Smith and family. I'm watching his show tonight. Here's a sample:

https://youtu.be/hPVY_pm3GPY
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Chris Rock Netflix Special
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 09:16:19 AM »
SWMBO and I watched it last night. It wasn't our cup of tea, but there are things I can definitely appreciate.

I was really surprised he didn't dive head first into overt political ranting. He definitely wanted to raise hackles, but was careful to cover both sides of the sociopolitical aisle. We had a few chuckles, mostly when he started dumping on social media and people famous only for their whining. It was a little cringey in places, but overall not bad. We both said "his face is starting to age a little" before we realized he's pushing 60.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Chris Rock Netflix Special
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 09:29:52 AM »
Yeah, I watched it yesterday as well. I'm still not a fan of "F-bomb comedy" (remember when people like Don Rickles could have you rolling on the floor without a single curse?) but I liked him making both sides uncomfortable. I'm anti-abortion, so when he started that bit, I was starting to get offended at the one sided start, but then when he got to the "killing babies" part, it was interesting watching faces in the audience that were up till then applauding his pro-abortion comedy.

Certainly for me, the Meghan Markle and Will Smith bits were great.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."