Author Topic: BLM ponders UAV's in Idaho  (Read 1531 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
BLM ponders UAV's in Idaho
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »
Guess the BLM must be spending too much time hanging out with the ATF. No matter how legitimate the reasons may sound, I hate the idea of tools I only know from Iraq being used at home.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2007-01-09T224911Z_01_N08385080_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-DRONES.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Proposal to send drones over Idaho raises hackles
Tue Jan 9, 2007 5:49 PM ET

By Laura Zuckerman

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - A U.S. government agency is considering using unmanned surveillance planes, or drones, to help oversee remote areas of eastern Idaho, raising concerns in a region deeply wary of outside interference.

Officials the Bureau of Land Management office responsible for most of eastern Idaho may initially buy one hand-launched drone for an estimated $15,000 to help keep track of the vast, thinly populated area.

They said the unpiloted aircraft, with a wingspan of about 4 feet, would monitor vegetation and streams in areas used largely for grazing and recreation and there were no immediate plans to use them for law enforcement.

But with Americans already concerned over increased government surveillance under President George W. Bush ' s war against terrorism, the mere suggestion of a camera-equipped plane over public areas sparked controversy in this intensively independent region.

"It would be like the environmentalists sneaking up on you," said Wayne Butts, a member of the County Commission in Custer County , where 96 percent of the land is publicly owned. "They may be taking pictures of a plant or two, but where does it stop? Do we have to grab our pitchforks and our guns?"

Melodie Baker, whose family has ranched for six generations among the sage flats and alpine canyons near Idaho ' s East Fork Salmon River, said she is afraid the data collected by the drones "would be used the wrong way."

"Every time the government comes up with something that ' s supposedly helpful, it ends up causing problems and is detrimental to ranchers," she said.

OVERSEEING GRAZING

Conservationists applauded the idea, saying there should be greater oversight of federal grazing and other leases.

"More supervision to ensure the terms and conditions of permits to use public lands is always a good idea," said Jon Marvel, executive director of Western Watersheds Project, an environmental group that focuses on federally managed lands in California , Idaho , Utah and Wyoming .

Terrance Booth, a rangeland scientist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Wyoming , said remote controlled planes already fly above New Mexico and Maryland for similar purposes.

The Bureau of Land Management said it would be some time before the Idaho project got under way and that it would hold public hearings before any drones took to the skies.

"These discussions are very preliminary, but we know these UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) are the wave of the future," said Lance Brady, a geographic information systems expert with the bureau.

UAVs have become a critical tool in the U.S. military ' s operations in Afghanistan and Iraq , where they are widely used for reconnaissance and intelligence, and for keeping watch on the U.S.-Mexico border.

The model being considered in Idaho could remain airborne for about five hours at a stretch. Officials said unpiloted planes also could prove valuable for assessing wildfires without endangering people.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Zed

Re: BLM ponders UAV's in Idaho
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »
What the hell do they need UAV's for in Idaho?

Unless they plan to patrol the tiny sliver of the Canadian border with them it's pointless.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

onions!

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:55:34 AM »
What's the best caliber for UAV?

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:29 AM »

Unless they plan to patrol the tiny sliver of the Canadian border with them it's pointless.

Did you read the article, or do you expect someone else to do it for you?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
You live in a state owned by the feds.  Why are you upset that the feds are exercising control over their land??? undecided
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Zed

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:54:11 AM »

Did you read the article, or do you expect someone else to do it for you?

Yes I did, hence why I said thier was no point unless thier purpose was to patrol the border.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:00:06 AM »
They said the unpiloted aircraft, with a wingspan of about 4 feet, would monitor vegetation and streams in areas used largely for grazing and recreation and there were no immediate plans to use them for law enforcement.
Data is the crack cocaine of the scientific world, one can never have too much nor can it ever be of too high a quality.  So long as the UAVs are limited to collecting data about the vegetation cover, type and distribution I see no issue. 

The problem is that .gov programs rarely stay within the bounds of their original intent.  Some bright lad or lass is right now dreaming up new uses for the UAV, including creative means of law enforcement.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.