Author Topic: French aircraft enforcing no-fly zone over Libya  (Read 7857 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
French aircraft enforcing no-fly zone over Libya
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »
This just in: French fighters are patrolling over Libya to enforce the UN no-fly zone.  They are prepared to take out Libyan aircraft in the air and the command/control/communications and ground facilities as need be. 

Well, at least it is not us having to enforce the zone.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: French aircraft enforcing no-fly zone over Libya
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
Good, it is nice to see a UN military mission where we are not doing the majority of the heavy lifting.

CSM Kersh

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »

Or put boots on the ground.
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »
This just in: French fighters are patrolling over Libya to enforce the UN no-fly zone.  They are prepared to take out Libyan aircraft in the air and the command/control/communications and ground facilities as need be. 

Yeah .... now that Obama is prez, we're "just another country" like Greece or Turkey or something.... [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
Yeah .... now that Obama is prez, we're "just another country" like Greece or Turkey or something.... [barf]

I am perfectly fine with not spending American dollars and lives to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. Our Forces are streteched enough as it is, and I don't have a need to be the world's police officer.

CSM Kersh

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »

Amen, MillCreek.  I've a friend whose made 3 tours to Iraq and is due to head for Afghanistan in June.  We don't need any more non-war wars where the politicians keep things screwed up.

Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »
Maybe we ought to make the Froggies fly around the Mediterranean since our carriers are there as little floating bits of sovereign America and we'd prefer they not violate airspace ours by right of possession?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
Maybe we ought to make the Froggies fly around the Mediterranean since our carriers are there as little floating bits of sovereign America and we'd prefer they not violate airspace ours by right of possession?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
US launched 110 cruise missles at anti aircraft sites in the western part of Libya a little bit ago.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »
And now we have a full blown war with an A$$hole who
brought down commercial planes in freedom times.

I'm so not looking forward to what's happening next...
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
I am perfectly fine with not spending American dollars and lives to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. Our Forces are streteched enough as it is, and I don't have a need to be the world's police officer.

Goodie. Are you perfectly fine with allowing Gadhafi to use his military on his own people unopposed?
The French, Italians & English seem to be doing this largely  alone in sofar as aircraft are concern.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
And now we have a full blown war with an A$$hole who
brought down commercial planes in freedom times.

I'm so not looking forward to what's happening next...

???  A "no fly" zone= full-blown war?   [tinfoil] ;/ ;/ [popcorn] [popcorn]

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
Goodie. Are you perfectly fine with allowing Gadhafi to use his military on his own people unopposed?
The French, Italians & English seem to be doing this largely  alone in sofar as aircraft are concern.

What are you on about?  The western world is intervening.  The US is firing cruise missiles the Europeans are sending in aircraft.  What part of that is allowing Gadhafi to use his military on his own people unopposed?  Maybe a little or a lot late though.

It looks to me like the job is going to get done.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:15:40 PM by 41magsnub »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
The French, Italians & English seem to be doing this largely  alone in sofar as aircraft are concern.

Absofrickinglutely. I don't see the role of the USA as having to deal with every murderous despot in the world.  This is a matter for the Libyan people to work out.  If the Europeans wish to assist, more power to them.

Why do you feel we should intervene in this situation as opposed to others around the world? There is no shortage of murderous despots.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »
Why do you feel we should intervene in this situation as opposed to others around the world? There is no shortage of murderous despots.
Convenience. There is a pretty effective and significant rebel force in the region which is working very hard to depose the guy. It is much easier to send in missiles and aircraft to knock a dictator out than it is to send in those things plus ground forces. This is the ideal regime change scenario - we just bomb tanks, artillery, and airfields, and the rebels take care of the rest of the job.

It's the situation with the American colonies vs Britain back in the day - a pretty significant amount of support for this uprising. They've kept going for several weeks, now. They are dedicated and want the job done. We're just there to tip the scales, as opposed to Iraq, where we had to do everything.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »
What are you on about?  The western world is intervening.  The US is firing cruise missiles the Europeans are sending in aircraft.  What part of that is allowing Gadhafi to use his military on his own people unopposed?  Maybe a little or a lot late though.

It looks to me like the job is going to get done.
???  That was my point.  What is going on here?  Have I entered some Twilight Zone world were I type one thing and it comes out some other thing on other peoples' computer screens? [tinfoil]
We ARE doing it, as you say --AND WE ARE LATE!!!!!

Absofrickinglutely. I don't see the role of the USA as having to deal with every murderous despot in the world.  This is a matter for the Libyan people to work out.  If the Europeans wish to assist, more power to them.

:facepalm:  Oh great, here comes the "we can't save everones' ass and be the WORLD POLICE so we should sit on our hands and let everyones' ass be fried" argument. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Get this straight.  I am not making the argument we SHOULD or COULD be the "world police."  Yes there are thugs aplenty out there.  But like it or not we have interests in the Arab part of the world, and we CAN do this.  When I say we should "do something" why is it every one has to reply by telling me we can't do things I did not say we could or should do in the first place??  
When we allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good, let's not forget the paralysis that results and allows the evil to continue.  We sure don't have a perfect world, but Libya is a part of the world where there is oil, and it is in that part of the world were things have been ....if no one's noticed.... getting a tad dicey as of late.
If and when we succeed in Libya, there will still be other despots in the world.  Whether you like it or not, we live in a world which is governed by, as pundit Rush Limbaugh aptly states, "the aggressive use of force."   There IS going to be a "top dog."
Who do we want it to be?
Right now China is building up its military and will become a true force in the western Pacific region in 15 or 20 years.  Is it OK if they become top dog?  They like to drive tanks over college students who protest to much.  They also don't like religious people very much, I don't know if people here have been keeping up on that or not.
While they are developing new antiship missiles, a stealth fighter which our experst thought was a decade away, but is flying in test form now, the United States is busy canceling the F-22 program, leaving the Air Force with half the new generation stealth fighters it needs, and the procurement program for the F-35 is mucked up beyond recognition, which actually is not  all that horrible as it is not as effective as the F-22.
Meanwhile our Air Superiority fighter, the F-15s, are 1980s vintage and old in the teeth, and our navy is getting smaller as we speak. Even our newer Navy fighter, the Super Hornet, is not as great as it probably needs to be and its survivability in a high threat environment is questionable.
So actually, the people here who wanna sit out everything may soon get their wish.  But by default; we may lose a large part of our ability to project power.  
So we'll wind up like we were after WW1...a third rate power with our soldiers practicing with sticks against trucks with placards saying "tank" on them because there will be too few tanks to be effective.  We'll turn into an isolationist country one more time in our history.....
and it no doubt won't be long before we have the Chinese and /or Russian version of an Adolph Hitler to deal with.
By which time I suspect I will have left this mortal coil, as I am talking about the future here, and by that I don't mean just tomorrow morning.
Which is fine by me, you know.
--- It's all yours.... ;) :angel:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
US launched 110 cruise missles at anti aircraft sites in the western part of Libya a little bit ago.

Best way to do it....though I'd have also had a couple of B-2 sorties over Big-G's current location....makes a no-fly easier to enforce when C&C is under a couple tons of rubble....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »
after the bombings ghadaffi was always unfinished business
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »
If we were going to do it, we should have done it a couple of weeks ago, when he first started bombing protesters.  =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »

Meh.  I'd be more partial to just airdropping the rebels plenty of food, medicine and weapons.  Only time people can actually be free is if they free themselves.  Nothing wrong with helping out, or chipping in.  But the heavy lifting needs to be done by the people themselves.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »
It is always so easy to sit behind a keyboard and advocate sending young Americans to war.  I think we should pick and choose very carefully the situations in which we choose to spend American lives and treasure.  I don't think Libya is one of those situations.  Others may disagree. And I see the thread has already become Godwinned.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
???  That was my point.  What is going on here?  Have I entered some Twilight Zone world were I type one thing and it comes out some other thing on other peoples' computer screens? [tinfoil]
We ARE doing it, as you say --AND WE ARE LATE!!!!!

If that is what you meant you sure didn't express it very well.  It came out as a general whine with some Obama blame and no meat around it.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
Meh.  I'd be more partial to just airdropping the rebels plenty of food, medicine and weapons.  Only time people can actually be free is if they free themselves.  Nothing wrong with helping out, or chipping in.  But the heavy lifting needs to be done by the people themselves.

How'd that policy of weapons and supplies work out in, oh, Afghanistan?
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
depends who you ask  the russians were doing ok till we helped.
theres an old saying  if someone can't/won't get something themselves they probably can't keep it if you give it to them.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
Meh.  I'd be more partial to just airdropping the rebels plenty of food, medicine and weapons.  Only time people can actually be free is if they free themselves.  Nothing wrong with helping out, or chipping in.  But the heavy lifting needs to be done by the people themselves.

Best way to do it....plus it gives the CIA something to do other than reading APS......  ;)

How'd that policy of weapons and supplies work out in, oh, Afghanistan?

Pretty darn well....would have worked better if we'd tried it in Saudi Arabia prior to 9/11.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.