Author Topic: News Over-reaction, or cause for Panic? New Libya Gov't To Base Law on Sharia  (Read 17432 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8844819/Libyas-liberation-interim-ruler-unveils-more-radical-than-expected-plans-for-Islamic-law.html

I suggest this article's title and tone is an over-reaction.

The only thing that really gives me pause, is this:

Mr Abdul-Jalil went further, specifically lifting immediately, by decree, one law from Col. Gaddafi's era that he said was in conflict with Sharia - that banning polygamy.

So, they want to go radical enough to go back to polygamy.  Bummer.  Probably no more hawt bodyguards, either.

But, despite banning the charging of interest by banks... the banks in Libya will instead charge a "fee" for loans.  Whatever.  Silly Muslims.  Probably don't like bacon, either. ;/

I suspect that the impetus for all of the Sharia-pandering is due to the Muslim world equivalent to our Populism... This war was fought and won by guerrilla partisans.  The core of their education revolves around Sharia, and it's all they know as an alternative over that of Gaddafi's government.  Had they grown up properly, with X-boxes and MTV instead of Qurans and hijabs, they wouldn't want Sharia.

As more chaos reigns in Libya and more access is obtained to alternative schools of thought in the next 10 years, this Caliphate-candidate fledgling nation will about-turn from the Dark Side of camel sodomy and head towards Westernism.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5E3CSizTNQ

As more chaos reigns in Libya and more access is obtained to alternative schools of thought in the next 10 years, this Caliphate-candidate fledgling nation will about-turn from the Dark Side of camel sodomy and head towards Westernism.

Based on what, exactly? The vast experience of successful westernizing revolutions in the middle east? Much like Iran westernized and liberalized after its revolution?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
AZ, I wondered the same thing when I heard about this. I would have to know more about the exact extent of sharia. All we hear about are the scarier bits, but I presume it also contains basic rules about not committing murder, theft, arson, etc. If that is so, then "basing" a system of laws on sharia seems pretty vague, and may be innocuous. But that's just speculation.

So far, if it's just changing policies on usury, polygamy, etc, then it doesn't sound all that bad.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
So far, if it's just changing policies on usury, polygamy, etc, then it doesn't sound all that bad.
Wonder what the women will say . . . or if they're even going to be allowed to say anything.

Videos out of Libya showed quite a few women in the crowds celebrating the fall of Khadaffi . . . sure, they were wearing the usual Moslem babushkas, but they were still OUT IN PUBLIC! We'll see how they fare under Sharia.

Keep an eye out for stories on honor killings, stoning, lopping hands off, persecution of Christians, Jews, and other religions, and fights between different Moslem sects.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Anyone who didn't see this kind of thing coming is a retard.

The hand wringing and ridiculousness in the news about it is absurd.

OMG HOW COULD WE HAVE POSSIBLY KNOWN THAT WHEN THIS DICTATOR GOT BOOTED THEY'D TURN TO SHARIA! THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER EVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF EVER.

Idiots
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
if it's just changing policies on usury, polygamy, etc, then it doesn't sound all that bad.

So the Islamic polygamists are okay - just not the Microbalroggians ...  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
So the Islamic polygamists are okay - just not the Microbalroggians ...  ???

One is "sex positive" and worth fighting against, the other isn't. ;)

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Hey now, I'm tirelessly defending the Republic. I don't have time to worry about polygamists in some other part of the world. Besides, Microbalroggian polygamists are way worse than the Islamic kind. They have long hair!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Anyone who didn't see this kind of thing coming is a retard.

The hand wringing and ridiculousness in the news about it is absurd.

OMG HOW COULD WE HAVE POSSIBLY KNOWN THAT WHEN THIS DICTATOR GOT BOOTED THEY'D TURN TO SHARIA! THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER EVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF EVER.

Idiots

Lots of retards out there.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Lots of retards out there.

Quoted for truth
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
So we assist in overthrowing a semi-undfriendly dictator, and might get an islamic government that is unfriendly to us?  Brilliant foriegn policy strategy.
I mean, really? Is our foriegn policy being written by a room full of chimps with typewriters?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
So we assist in overthrowing a semi-undfriendly dictator, and might get an islamic government that is unfriendly to us?  Brilliant foriegn policy strategy.
I mean, really? Is our foriegn policy being written by a room full of chimps with typewriters?

No, worse. Ivy League liberals with iPads.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends

I think this whole Libya action was stupid on our part, frankly.

Gaddafi had "seen the light" when it comes to international terrorism, after we trounced a couple of ME countries in the early 2000's.

He wasn't a threat to us at all anymore.  He was a jerk, but he wasn't a threat.

The uprising was pretty obviously run/endorsed by this "Muslim Brotherhood" organization, which I am rather creeped out by.  They also figured prominently in the late unpleasantness in Egypt.

The CIA and French/Italian equivalents have their work cut-out for them to make inroads with the folks in Libya with regards to Hearts and Minds.

We basically traded a tamed dictator for a potential rabid fundi-religious nation.  Here's to hoping the Libyans are now content with nation-building inside their own borders for a few decades.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
When we begin to understand the underlying similarities between The New World Order and The Old World Order--of which Shari'a-based autocracy is just a religion-cloaked example--it will be very clear where we are heading and why we do what we do.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
That's democracy for you. It's not some magic talisman that transforms people into love-your-neighbor-even-if-he's-a-Jew types. It gives people what they want. I really wouldn't be surprised if Sharia law is better than the previous incarnation of justice.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
When we begin to understand the underlying similarities between The New World Order and The Old World Order--of which Shari'a-based autocracy is just a religion-cloaked example--it will be very clear where we are heading and why we do what we do.

Please, enlighten us.  Not with circular gobblity gook, either. I'm not a smart man, Jenny.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Iain

• friend
Is this where the word 'sharia' causes us to have a rupture? Depends quite a lot on what interpretation etc they choose to have. The example given of polygamy, it's not universally permitted in countries with a sharia system.

There's every chance that what they end up with, whilst not a system I would choose, will be significantly better than what they had. Could be frying pan to fire, but the mere mention of sharia doesn't guarantee it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

HankB

• friend
Which civilized countries have Sharia-based laws? ("Civilized" means more than electric lights and flush toilets.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Which civilized countries have Sharia-based laws? ("Civilized" means more than electric lights and flush toilets.)

Being a bit picky, aren't we?  :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:59:28 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• friend
Is this where the word 'sharia' causes us to have a rupture? Depends quite a lot on what interpretation etc they choose to have. The example given of polygamy, it's not universally permitted in countries with a sharia system.

There's every chance that what they end up with, whilst not a system I would choose, will be significantly better than what they had. Could be frying pan to fire, but the mere mention of sharia doesn't guarantee it.

Not the wager a wise man would make.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
Hank - "better than what they had" doesn't necessarily mean 'civilised' by your standards. There are plenty of places you wouldn't consider going on holiday that are better than what they had.

One wonders why the difference in rhetoric now, as opposed to Afghanistan or Iraq. And no, it's not because those haven't been stellar successes, there were plenty of opportunities to have claimed to have learned that lesson prior to 2001.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
That is insulting to all of ape-kind.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
Not the wager a wise man would make.

"Better" does not mean "as good as what we have".

Look at the difference between Hamas and FATAH, or between Iran and Indonesia.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• friend
"Better" does not mean "as good as what we have".

Look at the difference between Hamas and FATAH, or between Iran and Indonesia.

I suspect we will trade an ugly authoritarian regime that had been cowed and was no longer actively hostile to us for an ugly Islamist regime bent on activity with the usual Islamist hatred for the West.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
I suspect we will trade an ugly authoritarian regime that had been cowed and was no longer actively hostile to us for an ugly Islamist regime bent on activity with the usual Islamist hatred for the West.

Some of the top rebel brass are al Qaeda types that the united states renditioned to gaddafi for torture in the past.

So yeah, I'd say it's likely they'll be back to haunt us.  They aren't so dumb that they'll forget US assistance to Gaddafi in torturing and killing them since 2003.  And I guarantee NATOs assistance will not be taken as fair payment.

The real lesson there is that we shouldn't be helping tyrants to torture and kill people, even if it serves some narrow "security" interest at the time.  It will always come back.

Also, it's unwise to sponsor fanatics.  Support for Saudi Arabia is a primary cause of radical religious terrorism, and it's a certain that as Libyan radical terrorism grows, it will be backed by Saudi money.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."