Author Topic: Licensing the Undocumented  (Read 4601 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Licensing the Undocumented
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
So California went ahead and issued hundreds of thousands of driver's licenses to illegal immigrants residing in the state.

An estimated 605,000 licenses were issued under the law last year, accounting for nearly half of all new licenses, according to the California DMV. Nearly 400,000 of the licenses were issued during the first six months.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0208-immigrant-drivers-licenses-20160208-story.html

What do you make of that?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Licensing the Undocumented
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:33:59 PM »
The guy in the picture looks like Obama.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
can I just point out that they can't be both undocumented and have documentation at the same time?

That word, I don't think California knows what it means.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »
CA is also the worst offender, of the states that do this, regarding what the licenses look like. They are practically identical to a regular license, and the "not valid federal ID" statement is pretty hard to see. At least some of the other states that went this route made the licenses look significantly different.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
Does this mean that they can now register to vote for local elections? If so...  [popcorn]
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
Does this mean that they can now register to vote for local elections? If so...  [popcorn]

Well, they're not supposed to, but I'm betting a majority of poll workers will not be trained on what to look for to differentiate the licenses, so in reality, I expect a lot of voter fraud.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 05:45:27 PM »
They are no longer undocumented.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
Well, they're not supposed to, but I'm betting a majority of poll workers will not be trained on what to look for to differentiate the licenses, so in reality, I expect a lot of voter fraud.

Does California require ID to vote or just register?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »

I actually don't know what's current at polling places as I've been voting by mail for the last 20 years. I know when I moved this year, the voter registration update went through the DMV.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »

I'm sure in the right (read that as democratic) voting district, both registering and voting will not require an ID.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:22:12 PM »
There is a huge practical benefit to this which is allowing for illegals to get insurance on the roads.  It's all well and good to talk principles but reducing the rate of un-insured accidents is a concrete benefit that outweighs whatever complaints about normalising illegal immigrants there might be.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
Yes, because lack of Driver's Licenses, THAT was what was keeping them from insuring their $500 mid '90's cars.  Now, I'm sure they are all rushing to Allstate and Progressive.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
There is a huge practical benefit to this which is allowing for illegals to get insurance on the roads.  It's all well and good to talk principles but reducing the rate of un-insured accidents is a concrete benefit that outweighs whatever complaints about normalising illegal immigrants there might be.

If that's all the state cared about, they could have made the licenses look completely different. The Dems here used "roadway safety" the same way the use "gun safety".

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »

I can never tell if you really are that delusional or just trolling.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »
CA is also the worst offender, of the states that do this, regarding what the licenses look like. They are practically identical to a regular license, and the "not valid federal ID" statement is pretty hard to see. At least some of the other states that went this route made the licenses look significantly different.

And, if I recall correctly, were sued for "discrimination" for having done so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »
I can never tell if you really are that delusional or just trolling.

Beat me to my usual comment.  No one is that dense.

And I'd love this to all be part of California's master plan to compile a list of illegals, and have ICE round them up for deportation.  No such luck,  they're as deluded as De Selby.   :facepalm:  
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »
Yes, because lack of Driver's Licenses, THAT was what was keeping them from insuring their $500 mid '90's cars.  Now, I'm sure they are all rushing to Allstate and Progressive.

It actually is - CA has one of the harshest confiscation regimes for uninsured cars.  Illegals tend to buy them expecting they'll be seized at huge cost.  Insurance is cheaper than what they pay to drive period.

I don't see what's delusional about it.  No licence means no insurance is possible.  Yet they are there and driving.  Having a licence means potential revenue and insurance from hundreds of thousands.  It's not hard to see the financial sense there.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 09:15:59 PM »
It actually is - CA has one of the harshest confiscation regimes for uninsured cars.  Illegals tend to buy them expecting they'll be seized at huge cost.  Insurance is cheaper than what they pay to drive period.

The $500 car is seized.  What is the huge cost?  It's $500.

And no. The VAST majority of uninsured motorists in America are legal and have licenses, they just know their car is a POS, they are judgement proof, and the hospitals will fix them up anyway.  So why waste the money on insurance?  Licensed illegals will merge into this group pretty seamlessly.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »
The $500 car is seized.  What is the huge cost?  It's $500.

And no. The VAST majority of uninsured motorists in America are legal and have licenses, they just know their car is a POS, they are judgement proof, and the hospitals will fix them up anyway.  So why waste the money on insurance?  Licensed illegals will merge into this group pretty seamlessly.

Which is why I have a spotless driving record, have never submitted an insurance claim, and pay $1900/yr for two cars. It actually went up $200 when I moved here because there are more illegals and uninsured motorists than in the county where I lived before.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »
Which is why I have a spotless driving record, have never submitted an insurance claim, and pay $1900/yr for two cars. It actually went up $200 when I moved here because there are more illegals and uninsured motorists than in the county where I lived before.

But they're just here looking for better opportunities.  The additional cost to you is a small, insignificant thing,  you racist.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 12:58:12 AM »
Well one thing is sure, it makes immigration law one big joke. Because a Driver's License is more than a permit to drive, it is a legal, formal declaration and recognition of being a permanent resident.

What I bet is going to happen here is that these folks are going to eventually organize, they are going to vote in local elections and they are going to take over CA. They certainly have the numbers.... half of all new licenses in 2015 went to illegal immigrants, who now are State recognized residents  =|

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 06:31:37 AM »
I don't see what's delusional about it.  No licence means no insurance is possible. 

Are you certain about that? Insurance is issued to the owner of the vehicle, for a vehicle by make, model and VIN number. I've been insuring cars for more than fifty years and my insurance company has never asked for a driver's license number.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 06:58:40 AM »

I don't see what's delusional about it.  No licence means no insurance is possible.  Yet they are there and driving.  Having a licence means potential revenue and insurance from hundreds of thousands.  It's not hard to see the financial sense there.

I've got to go with delusional.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:02 AM »
  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh please stop. You made hot coffee spray out of my nose all over my screen. I didn't know you were a comedian, but that right there is gold.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 12:42:43 PM »

Assuming they obtain insurance. Which is not a safe assumption to make.

Don't get me wrong, some percent will likely get insurance. Most however will not. Just like it'd be unlikely if given the chance for legal employment (ie paying taxes), some percent will take it, most will not. Majority of illegals are here for a job and making cash. Anything not making them cash will have a lower level of compliance.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.