Author Topic: Trigger Pull Gauge?  (Read 400 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trigger Pull Gauge?
« on: December 14, 2021, 09:50:36 AM »
I would like to buy a trigger pull gauge. Do any of you have one? Recommendations? Is digital worth the extra ducats? The averaging feature many of the digitals have seems like a plus.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Trigger Pull Gauge?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 09:56:35 AM »
I've been eyeballing the Lyman digital gauge, but haven't "pulled the trigger" yet.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/electronic-digital-trigger-pull-gauge

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007105325?pid=220725
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 10:28:16 AM »
I have a Wheeler. It works.

It's this one. https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-710904-Professional-Digital-Trigger/dp/B01B7OYTNQ

The one thing that I'm not sure I love is the part that goes into the trigger guard is rather large. Sometimes have to maneuver it a bit to get it inside the guard. The Lyman in the previous post might be a bit better in that regard from looking at the picture anyway.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 10:31:36 AM »
I have never understood the appeal of a digital. My finger generally can't tell the difference between 5 pounds and 5-1/4 pounds -- whether the trigger is clean or gritty, or exhibits stacking, makes a more perceptible difference than just the pull weight. I mostly use a standard RCBS analog trigger pull gauge, which has a range up to 8 pounds. For DA revolvers, where the DA pull is more than 8 pounds, I have a Feather River analog scale. It's basically the same as the RCBS, except that it measures up to 25 pounds.

And they don't need batteries.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 10:39:13 AM »
I've always used some string, a tin can, and sand.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
I like the price on that Lyman.

MikeB - The Wheeler is what got me thinking about one as it popped up on my Amazon recommendations. Reading the reviews, there seems to be a concern by some that depending on if you pull fast or slow, you can get significantly different readings. Do you find that to be so? I have no experience with these gauges, so maybe "pull technique" affects any gauge?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »
Ben. I think you are right about pull technique. I’ve had spurious readings. Normally when being impatient so you could say pulling fast sort of. It’s really about being smooth and consistent. Putting the gun in a vise is going to render the most accurate readings. Trying to push the gun away or pull on the gauge doesn’t seem to show a huge difference if doing it free hand. Just being consistent in how you do it renders close readings. Then of course you average 5 or 10 readings. Or at least that is the way I do it.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 11:15:42 AM »
I have a Lyman mechanical one.  It works fine, and If I really need to average I can do that pretty easy. Usually the difference in trigger pulls is within what I'm rounding to in my head anyway.  I guess it depends how much precision you need.  I've never felt the need for a digital version.

I have this one:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022046465?pid=687963

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 11:35:38 AM »
I have a Lyman digital gauge, and it works fine and is accurate. (Right off the bat, I tested it with static weights.)

The Lyman sure beats my old trigger gauge . . . which was actually a "repurposed" Zebco fishing tackle box scale!  :rofl:

The Wheeler gauge? I'm not sure about Wheeler products generally - I've read some critical reviews about their torque wrench (used for mounting 'scopes) alleging inaccuracy.  On the other hand, I DO have a Wheeler gunsmithing screwdriver set which has been just fine so far - no broken bits or buggered up screws. And positive reviews of the Wheeler sight pusher seem common.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 12:46:17 PM »
I have the RCBS mechanical one. Has worked great for me adjusting triggers on my bolt action rifles.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007330129
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »
Well, I went ahead and went with the Lyman digital for $45. I might have gone with mechanical, but looking at some of the closeup images, I think my aging eyes will benefit from the digital readout.

Thanks for the input, guys!