Author Topic: San Francisco board rebrands 'convicted felon' as 'justice-involved person'  (Read 1277 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san-francisco-board-adopts-new-language-for-criminals-turning-convicted-felon-into-justice-involved-person.amp?__twitter_impression=true
San Francisco board rebrands 'convicted felon' as 'justice-involved person,' sanitizes other crime lingo

Crime-ridden San Francisco has introduced new sanitized language for criminals, getting rid of words such as “offender” and “addict” while changing “convicted felon” to “justice-involved person.”

The Board of Supervisors adopted the changes last month even as the city reels from one of the highest crime rates in the country and staggering inequality exemplified by pervasive homelessness alongside Silicon Valley wealth.

The local officials say the new language will help change people’s views about those who commit crimes.
I feel I have to mention how the same people seem to have no issue referring to gun owners as bigots and Trump supporters as racist, but want to soften their language for people who often actually deserve it.  

“We don’t want people to be forever labeled for the worst things that they have done,” Supervisor Matt Haney told the newspaper. “We want them ultimately to become contributing citizens, and referring to them as felons is like a scarlet letter that they can never get away from.”
But taking away the stigma is never going to help.  They can only "get away" from it if they stop committing crimes and bury it in their past.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Liberal ---> Reality challenged person
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Wait.

Double-checked.

No, not Sacbee or Onion.

Jeeze.

Do they have a euphemism for "Board of Supervisors?"

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

griz

• friend
The report I heard on the radio said they would change "substance abuse" (which BTW was the sanitized term for drug user) to "substance use issues".  I forgot who said it a long time ago but the idea is you can never create a truly non-offensive term because eventually the meaning catches up to the euphemism.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The report I heard on the radio said they would change "substance abuse" (which BTW was the sanitized term for drug user) to "substance use issues".  I forgot who said it a long time ago but the idea is you can never create a truly non-offensive term because eventually the meaning catches up to the euphemism.

The current term in healthcare is SUD: substance use disorder.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'

Intelligence-challenged persons.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend

Yep, you can see that will all sorts of topics.  Do gooders decide others are having their feelings hurt and then once they start the outrage bus, they don't want to stop.  Examples are "retarded people" or crippled people".  The new names don't really change behavior.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend

"Panel comprised of reason-impaired persons"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I'm pretty sure they meant to say "injustice-involved person."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
Looking after their supporters.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Angelic Individuals Who Were Turning Their Lives Around And Just Happened To Be Unlucky Enough To Get Caught.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Andiron

• friend
It's time to resurrect Sherman and point him at the west coast.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
It's time to resurrect Sherman and point him at the west coast.

Patton would be my preference.

On the sea side, Rear Admiral Robert W. Copeland

Air arm:  Claire Chennault.

All ballsey commanders.

Terry

Re the lesser-known Admiral Copeland, Commander of the destroyer USS Samuel B. Roberts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_W._Copeland#Further_information
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:18:42 AM by 230RN »

Andiron

• friend
Ballsy is great,  but I'm picking my roster for their talent in the scorched earth department.

I stand by Sherman.

Chair force component: LeMay all day.

Naval component:  ? ,  do we have a guy historically that's good at leveling cities from the sea?  Gambier got it done for the Brits,  but I can't think of one for us.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
Nah.  I'm looking at actual clever combat aggression.  Folks who rescued Bastogne with audacious strategy and charged battleships with destroyers and figured out the wingman system against the Japanese pilots in China.

I suppose burning a city down is "aggressive," but wasn't the war just about over anyhow?  I think it ended only about three months later.

Besides, some folks think Sherman's troops just kind of ran amuck in undisciplined rage.

And there are three fronts in any coastal city battle:  the Sea, the Air, and the Ground.  (Nowadays, we should count four fronts:  The Space Above.)

Terry

Note:
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/patton-relieves-bastogne
I think in Sicily, he was just being a jerk, but what a magnificent jerk.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:02:37 AM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden